Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tierra - Together Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 March 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

Santi Paradoa wrote:
I had forgotten that it was written by Gamble & Huff. Wish it would have turned up on one of those CD compilations that the songwriting team have released in the past.

Don't forget "Together" was a classic '60s soul song. It was done by The Intruders in 1967. Even through I grew up knowing the Tierra version, I gotta say the production on the Intruders version is really superior.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

RichM921 wrote:
Don't forget "Together" was a classic '60s soul song. It was done by The Intruders in 1967. Even through I grew up knowing the Tierra version, I gotta say the production on the Intruders version is really superior.

You're correct. The original version reached #48 on the pop charts in '67 and I agree the Intruders' version is good. It's the remake I remember since it was a hit while I was in college.

Edited by Santi Paradoa on 10 March 2010 at 8:26am

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

FWIW, my ASI commercial 45 is also stereo.   
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

So we've got the original label & the re-release both in stereo; they're both the same take, just a different speed & fade point?

I, too, am curious if any of the CDs in the database are believed to be from tape as opposed to vinyl AND in stereo AND the original recording.

The copy I have won't play too often, but just knowing it's sitting there, waiting to be played again, is like fingernails on a blackboard to me. :)

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

Essentially, I'm asking the same question as everyone else... looking for a recommendation on the best sounding cd with this song on it - hopefully not mastered from vinyl.
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2010 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote abagon

NightAire wrote:
So we've got the original label & the re-release both in stereo; they're both the same take, just a different speed & fade point?

ASI 45: The final "together baby, together baby" lyric starts at 3:53.1, Boardwalk 45: at 3:57.3.
ASI 45 has a truncated fade at 4:14. (till the 2nd "yeah" of three times "yeah")
The 2nd "yeah" at 4:14 on the ASI 45 is the same position at 4:18 on the Boardwalk 45.

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 March 2010 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Jim, what is the running time of your short version of "Together"?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 March 2010 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

In another thread, Jim said the listed and actual time is 3:49.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

I finally acquired another CD with this song on it to see if it might be from a tape source:

Original Sound 8878 Art Laboe's Dedicated To You

This CD is from 1991 and "Together" doesn't sound like a needledrop to me. I don't hear any tell-tale vinyl artifacts, which would likely be quite apparent on that very soft intro. I'm not sure if they even had much in the way of digital click removal back in 1991.

On another aspect, Original Sound CDs are notorious for their use of the dreaded "Waring" noise reduction but this CD appears to be free of that affliction, at least for "Together". I hear pretty audible tape hiss on the intro.

The only drawback is that the song is faded 10 seconds early.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2010 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

For further clarification, it appears the CD you are referring to is the first in a lengthy series of "Art Leboe's Dedicated To You" compilations.

Amazon lists it here:
Art Laboe's Dedicated To You

This is a fantastic find; thanks so much for the info! $15 from Amazon, $8 new from another seller... not bad at all. It's a shame about the early fade, but it's worth it to get a clean copy.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2010 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

It's also available on iTunes now; I just downloaded it from the "remastered" Digital Dedicated To You Vol 1. (Interesting that Art Laboe's name is now missing.)

My iTunes copy runs 4:14 too, unfortunately. Although it sounds to me like there might be noise reduction on the recording, it's not the "gritty" noise reduction on my previous copy. I keep going back & forth on whether it's a superb needle drop or a rough original recording.

I'd say this is the best stereo copy I've heard. Thanks again for the tip!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 December 2010 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Thanks to Aaron's help, I've been able to determine that the iTunes version IS using noise reduction... LOTS of it. (No idea if it was a tape source or not, but the bells are basically lost in the recording.)

I'm now going to have to retract my recommendation of this download. For a superior copy, unless Aaron has any recommendations, I'd say look for Roscoe's recommended CD.

Sorry for the false alarm!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 December 2010 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have strong doubts that ANY of the CDs in the database are from tape source. I don't remember if an unofficial story of the Boardwalk label's history is posted somewhere on the board, but it might be. Joan Jett is perhaps one of the only Boardwalk artists whose songs are from tape source on CD. In fact, Boardwalk's only other top 40 hit I can think of that doesn't appear to be a vinyl dub is "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" by Night Ranger, which was likely transferred to MCA before the label went bankrupt.

Boardwalk's other top 40 hits (only a handful) are all vinyl dubs on every source I've heard them. "So Lonely" by Get Wet is definitely a vinyl dub on the Varese CD. "Stronger Than Before" by Carole Bayer Sager, like the Tierra song, has only ever appeared in mono, which is also highly suspicious. Again, my earlier theory about using mono to hide vinyl artifacts applies here. And I'm not sure about "I Want You, I Need You" by Chris Christian, because I don't recall hearing the only CD source listed in the database.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 December 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

aaronk wrote:
I have strong doubts that ANY of the CDs in the database are from tape source. I don't remember if an unofficial story of the Boardwalk label's history is posted somewhere on the board, but it might be. Joan Jett is perhaps one of the only Boardwalk artists whose songs are from tape source on CD. In fact, Boardwalk's only other top 40 hit I can think of that doesn't appear to be a vinyl dub is "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" by Night Ranger, which was likely transferred to MCA before the label went bankrupt.

Boardwalk's other top 40 hits (only a handful) are all vinyl dubs on every source I've heard them. "So Lonely" by Get Wet is definitely a vinyl dub on the Varese CD. "Stronger Than Before" by Carole Bayer Sager, like the Tierra song, has only ever appeared in mono, which is also highly suspicious. Again, my earlier theory about using mono to hide vinyl artifacts applies here. And I'm not sure about "I Want You, I Need You" by Chris Christian, because I don't recall hearing the only CD source listed in the database.

It's certainly possible that the Original Sound CD is a needledrop, perhaps from a very clean vinyl source. Again, I'm not sure what tools were available for vinyl cleanup back in 1991. I can say that there are no audible vinyl artifacts on the song's appearance on this CD.

But I don't want to oversell anyone that the "Dedicated To You" CD is a sonic knockout. The eq isn't that great IMO, and I can't say for sure that NR hasn't been applied. But it does sound better to me than the Rhino Smooth Grooves CD, which has audible vinyl artifacts, dynamic range compression and too bright eq.

Ultimately, I stuck with my needledrop from the vinyl LP as my preferred source for this song.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 December 2010 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Roscoe, I'm not sure what was on the market for vinyl cleanup tools, either, at that time; however, there were definitely tools available. TM Century was cleaning up vinyl dubs for their GoldDiscs in the late '80s, so the technology existed. It's also possible that a tape source exists, and perhaps the Original Sound CD really isn't a vinyl dub. I haven't actually heard the CD to comment, but the iTunes file certainly has an excessive amount of noise reduction applied, as Gene pointed out.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 January 2014 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Ouch!

I just listened to a version of "Together" from a
lossless file collection, allegedly from a disc called
Oldies But Goodies Vol. 15. (Was this one of the
Art Laboe discs?) This version has so much noise
reduction that I uttered an audible "Ouch". Amplify the
intro by 15 dB, and try to make out the little bells and
the ride cymbal... then wait for your own "ouch".

The goosed-up smiley-face EQ on the Oldies But
Goodies
version may bring the sound closer to today's
releases, but that's not how the song was released.

The version on Time-Life's 2-CD Body And Soul Vol. 14
Midnight Seduction
(1999) is a needledrop, but it's a
good needledrop that doesn't go overboard with noise
reduction and has an EQ very close to the Boardwalk 45.
Go with the Time-Life version, if you want the song to
sound like the hit 45 version from 1981.

I'd bet a dollar that the Time-Life disc is sourced from
one of the Rhino releases, but I don't have the Rhino
releases to confirm. If Bill Inglot couldn't find the
tapes, it's probably safe to say that they don't exist.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 January 2014 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Thanks to the speedy generosity of jimct, I can confirm
that Time-Life's 2-CD Body And Soul Vol. 14
Midnight Seduction
(1999) is a differently EQ'd digital
clone of Rhino's Brown Eyed Soul Vol. 1 (1997).

Thanks, Jim!

musicmanatl
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 January 2014 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote musicmanatl

I have this song on a CD reissue of the original LP that contained "Together", entitled "City Nights". The copyright is in 2000 by Reach Entertainment, Inc. The back cover shows the labels as Boardwalk Records and RKO Records. It looks like the label reissued other Boardwalk LPs by Richard "Dimples" Fields, the Ohio Players, Curtis Mayfield and others.

The CD is listed in Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/City-Nights-Tierra/dp/B00004WK56/ref=s r_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390792660&sr=8-1&keywords=tierra+city+nig hts

There's only one used copy for sale for $59.99.

I can send someone a wav file if you want to check if it's from tape or vinyl. I'm guessing vinyl, but it never hurts to check.

This CD needs to be added to the database too.
Back to Top View musicmanatl's Profile Search for other posts by musicmanatl

Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 January 2014 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

Yah Shure wrote:
Hykker wrote:
I also don't remember this song getting much airplay, but we really didn't have much in the way of Top 40 radio up this way in '80/81. Even though you'd think this would have been a big AC hit, I don't recall any of the AC stations playing it either.

The full-service AC I worked at in St. Cloud, MN never played it, either.

At the time, I often listened to KFI-AM/Los Angeles into the wee hours. The Tierra record was a big local hit in L.A. and KFI played the hell out of it. Although "Together" hadn't charted yet, the St. Cloud Musicland store already had the original ASI pressing in stock, so that's what I bought.   

Good point. I've lived my whole life in Southern California and I remember that record (which also sampled "Cowboys to Girls", both done by the Intruders)

Edited by Steve Carras on 26 January 2014 at 9:15pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 January 2014 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I listened to the file that musicmantl has from the
City Nights CD.

It's pure mono, unlike the Rhino needledrop, which is a
narrow stereo. It fades a wee bit sooner than the Rhino
needledrop, but just by a second or two.

I don't hear any vinyl-related artifacts. If I raise the
Rhino needledrop intro by 20 dB, I hear a little surface
noise - no such noise on the City Nights version.
There may be a little NR on the City Nights
version, but it's not oppressive, and it doesn't leave
any artifacts on the fade. It certainly doesn't provoke
an "ouch"!

Overall, I can't say with certainty that it's from tape,
but it sounds very good for this song.

I would defer to Aaron's ears for this track. I'm a
little suspicious that it's in pure mono and fades a tiny
bit early - those can mask the artifacts from a
needledrop.

I await Aaron's review. (This is fun!)

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>