Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Dave Clark Five original albums on iTunes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 February 2010 at 2:22am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Dave Clark, who owns his own recordings, has made the Dave Clark Five's first two albums available for download on iTunes. Sadly, Mr. Clark has chosen to replace one track on the "Glad All Over" album and THREE tracks on the "Return" album with other songs, mainly B-sides of singles that weren't originally on the albums.

Rumor has it that this is because they were written by the bandmate who sued him over royalties, and he doesn't want him to get any money off these iTunes issues. Whatever the case, it's quite ridiculous -- he even redid the arwork (which listed the songs on the album) to replace the old songs with the new.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

BradOlson
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2010 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote BradOlson

This is horrible. Keep the bootleg CDs or the original LPs.

Edited by BradOlson on 17 February 2010 at 10:27am
Back to Top View BradOlson's Profile Search for other posts by BradOlson

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Perhaps the Glad All Over album should be given the new title Bits And Pieces to more accurately (and figuratively) reflect its revised track listing. :)

Speaking of the DC5: Did anyone else ever think that Adam Faith's DC5-knockoff "It's Alright" actually was by the Dave Clark Five at the time? I'd completely forgotten about the song after it fell off the top 40 charts in 1965 until I went to see Good Morning Vietnam. I found myself singing along with the tune for about forty seconds when it suddenly dawned on me that I didn't know its title, then realized that it hadn't been on the 1974 Glad All Over Again double-LP or any other DC5 album. Needless to say, I paid special attention to the credits. The stereo mix of "It's Alright" sounds less like the DC5 than it did on the mono Amy 45.

When I burned my own version of The Dave Clark Five's Greatest Hits back in the '90s, I simply had to include "It's Alright." :)
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2010 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

Whatever the reason for doing so, it is annoying that Dave Clark (if he owes all the DC5 song rights) won't put out the correct catalogue (and all the stereo mixes) without "tinkering." In another thread, we discussed the multiple greatest hits CD compilations out there, other CD and vinyl releases that have the "occasional" stereo mix of DC5 hits and none of this has been pulled together into one comprehensive set.

I, for one, am not going to buy anymore DC5 CDs or downloads unless Mr. Clark can provide something that covers all the bases. I love the band but I'm not shelling out any more money for "piecemeal" releases.

Glad I got that off my chest!
Back to Top View satchdr's Profile Search for other posts by satchdr

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 February 2010 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

My 2¢ worth here...
As annoying as Dave has been with his revisionist album line-ups and refusal to issue stereo mixes of DC5 songs, at least (to my knowledge) he's not tinkering with the actual song mixes as so many artists have done (Richard Carpenter is a blatant example) trying to "improve" them.

In as much as the DC5 was primarily a singles act, I wonder aside from a handful of collectors if anyone really cares about whether a particular album cut is included or if they're just interested in the hits. Even as a music collector I fall into the latter category.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 February 2010 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Hykker wrote:

In as much as the DC5 was primarily a singles act, I wonder aside from a handful of collectors if anyone really cares about whether a particular album cut is included or if they're just interested in the hits. Even as a music collector I fall into the latter category.

Well, I care, because one of the songs omitted was the B-side of one of their hit singles.

By the way, if anyone wants to buy the "Hits" CD, they'd better hurry up -- it's out of print already. It would appear Mr. Clark has an exclusive deal with iTunes.

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 February 2010 at 2:17am | IP Logged Quote satchdr

Having both "The Hits" CD and "The History Of The Dave Clark Five" 2-CD set (Hollywood Records HR-61482-2), I would recommend the latter (which I think is also out of print but relatively easy to snag on eBay or half.com). "History" is a bit more comprehensive with respect to the A and B sides of the Epic singles that made the Hot 100 (and, although it doesn't have all of them, it has more than "Hits").
Back to Top View satchdr's Profile Search for other posts by satchdr

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Dave Clark's recordings finally lost their iTunes
exclusivity and debuted in lossless format today on
Qobuz, HDTracks, and other outlets, copyright "2019
Dave Clark (London) Limited under exclusive license to
BMG Rights Management (UK) Limited."

Not all the albums are there -- 5x5 and "Dave Clark
Five Return" are missing, but they may be coming.
(They're also missing from iTunes, where these 2019
remasters are up for sale as well.)

Only bad thing is they are the same 2010 track
lineups, which omit and replace songs from some of the
albums. They say they are 2019 remasters. Not in
stereo, though.

For sale in 24/96 hi-rez are:

The Hits
Coast to Coast
Everybody Knows
Glad All Over
Catch Us If You Can
American Tour

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

If he keeps up this pace every 10 years of switching formats we may never see the originals released. CD in the 1990's, Itunes in the late 2000's and now digital downloads in the 2010's.....
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2021 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

I was examining the tracks from The History of The Dave
Clark Five
2 CD set and I realized that the tracks
aren't 100% mono. It looks to me like they may be mono
tracks that were transferred using a stereo head. Of
course, this can be easily rectified in an editing
program. Question to the audio experts out there: will
this summing to mono cause any artifacts if the amount of
stereo difference is minimal?
Back to Top View Ringmaster_D's Profile Search for other posts by Ringmaster_D

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2021 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The idea of one-track mono is cool (i.e., the exact same 0's and 1's in both channels), but doesn't really add much over what you have now.

If given a choice, I wouldn't sum to mono, but would instead leave them as they are for two reasons.

First, if the left and right channels are out of synch (which could happen if the tape playback heads don't exactly match how the heads were aligned when the track was recorded), then summing could introduce a little warble in the high frequencies. That sounds awful.

Second, if there are any edits that were originally done incorrectly (such as by cutting the tape at a 90 degree angle instead of 45 degrees - yay, splice block!), then summing to mono will likely emphasize the edits, rather than mask them.

Just my opinion.

ChicagoBill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2021 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote ChicagoBill

In 1993 when 'The History Of The Dave Clark Five', a 2 CD set, was released on Hollywood Records, Dave Clark also released 'Glad All Over Again' a single CD on
EMI with a different track listing that reflected more of the hits they had in the U.K. after 1968. The strange difference I found is that the U.K. set has a
stereo 'You Got What It Takes' and the U.S. set has it in mono. I think there is a slight difference in the vocal, but I will leave that up to the experts that
can A/B them! -Bill.
Back to Top View ChicagoBill's Profile Search for other posts by ChicagoBill

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version