Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: backstreet boys "as long as you love me" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 January 2010 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

although not in the db because of it's airplay only status, i do have a promo cd single for the backstreet song "as long as you love me" issued as jive jdj-42482-2 and it contains 2 tracks as listed below

1-radio mix (3:32)
2-instrumental (3:30)

this info s/b added to the db...

i also have an import cd single for the song as well, issued as jive cd 434/int:0517232 and contains the below tracks

1-as long as you love me (radio version) (3:32)
2-quit playing games (with my heart) (e-smoove vocal mix) (6:48)
3-everybody (backstreet's back) (funked up mix) (7:13)
4-every time i close my eyes (3:55)

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Is the radio version (3:32) any different from the radio mix (3:32)? There was a version of this song I heard on the radio, that I could not track down, which had some alternate vocals and maybe even a slight mix difference. I have an import CD single of this but it's not on there either. Does anyone know about an alternate version of this on any CDs?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

EdisonLite wrote:
Is the radio version (3:32) any different from the radio mix (3:32)? There was a version of this song I heard on the radio, that I could not track down, which had some alternate vocals and maybe even a slight mix difference. I have an import CD single of this but it's not on there either. Does anyone know about an alternate version of this on any CDs?

I can't speak to these specific releases, but I have an early copy of the "Backstreet Boys" album with a different track lineup and some different mixes. This has a red cover instead of the popular light color and, I believe, was a Canadian pressing. On this disc, "As Long As You Love Me" sounds similar except there are no vocals over the intro. (Compare to about 0:07 on the common radio mixes.) I don't think I've ever heard this version elsewhere.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 November 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I, too, have a red, early album of "Backstreet Boys" (mine's not Canadian but European, 1996) and it doesn't contain this song at all. I also have an early version of their 2nd European album (titled "Backstreet's Back")- which has the same album cover as the 1st US album - and that album (which is somewhat a compilation of the 1st two European albums) does have "As Long As You Love Me". Both my European version and the American album version have the vocals "as long as you love me" at 0:07.

Other than the difference of vocals in the intro at 0:07 (on the Canadian version), has anyone determined if there are any other differences between the early versions, the regular US album version, and the version that the import CD singles refer to as "radio version" and "radio mix"? Sometimes singles will just refer to a version as "radio version" to distinguish it from the extended mixes on the single (or elsewhere), when in reality, it's no different than the album version. That way of thinking for labeling CD singles can make it very difficult to sort through what are actually unique versions and what are not.

Edited by EdisonLite on 23 November 2014 at 5:45pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 November 2014 at 1:20am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Update: I A-B'd the album version with the "radio version" on my import CD single. I hear no difference.

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

EdisonLite wrote:
I, too, have a red, early album of
"Backstreet Boys" (mine's not Canadian but European,
1996) and it doesn't contain this song at all.

I just stumbled upon my copy of the red album (Jive
Canada 41598), and it turns out my recollection was
wrong: like EdisonLite's copy, mine does not have this
song.

There was definitely a mysterious version without the
lyrics at :07 -- I remember my station at the time
initially aired that version, but it was via cart so I
have no idea how we got it.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

JL328
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote JL328

EdisonLite wrote:
Update: I A-B'd the album version with the "radio
version" on my import CD single. I hear no difference.
Remember,
there were two pressings of the CD "Backstreet Boys." The version of As
Long As You Love Me on the first pressing ran 3:39. The db reflects this
time.

The version on the second pressing ran 3:31 and is the same as the Radio
Mix on the promo. So, when they called it "Radio Mix" on the promo, my
guess is they were differentiating it from the first pressing album version.

Also, I don't have the box set, but the db indicates this has the "radio mix."
If that's the case, that "should" be the same as what's on the second
pressing of the album and most other compilations. Is it different?
Back to Top View JL328's Profile Search for other posts by JL328

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Jeff (JL328), do you have the original 3:31 version, and would it be possible to send it? Is the only difference between the 2 mixes the vocals around the 0:07 mark?

JL328
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2018 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote JL328

I no longer have the 1st pressing. It was one of those CDs that I
complained a girlfriend had "accidentally left" in my car, which I then
cranked the hell out of (with the windows up) when nobody was
looking.

So from memory, I think the intro is timed the same but the harmony
vocal that's on the intro in the commonly known version definitely was
not on the 1st pressing. I think that's what you mean by the difference
at 0:07? The first vocal you hear is nick carter's first verse. Prior to
that it was all music.

I also think the piano track was re-recorded for the 2nd pressing (but I
could be wrong on that). I remember the first pressing piano sounding
slightly faster and having a muzik feel if that makes sense--- it sounded
like a karaoke track. The first time I heard the second pressing on the
radio, I remember thinking it was a cover (remember back then, there
were country artists covering pop tracks all the time), but the difference
in the piano could just be my ears playing tricks on me. There might
also be another percussion instrument in there--- the second pressing
just sounded richer, for lack of a better term.

Also, the 1st pressing ran about 7 seconds longer--- I think this
difference was in the outro. I remember thinking it took longer to get to
the closing "I don't care as long as you love me" vocal break that ends
the song.
Back to Top View JL328's Profile Search for other posts by JL328

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Does anyone have the 1st pressing of the Backstreet Boys' self-titled US (1997) CD with the apparent non-radio mix version of "As Long As you Love Me"? I'd like to compare the two versions. I've never heard the version that's 7 seconds longer with a vocal difference at 0:07. Plus with a possible different piano sound, and other percussion added, I'm REALLY curious to hear this obscure mix.

Bellenger1981
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote Bellenger1981

Did you get this yet, EdisonLite? I'm quite sure that I
have the original 1997 1st pressing somewhere in my
collection, but I cannot find it at the moment. I will
keep looking if you have not got a copy yet.

smallworld
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote smallworld

EdisonLite wrote:
Does anyone have the 1st pressing of the Backstreet Boys' self-titled US (1997) CD with the apparent non-radio mix version of "As Long As you Love Me"? I'd like to compare the two versions. I've never heard the version that's 7 seconds longer with a vocal difference at 0:07. Plus with a possible different piano sound, and other percussion added, I'm REALLY curious to hear this obscure mix.

As Long As You Love Me - Backstreet Boys
Back to Top View smallworld's Profile Search for other posts by smallworld

VWestlife
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2021 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote VWestlife

The first release of the U.S. "Backstreet Boys" album (01241-41589-2) has the original version of "As Long As You Love Me" (3:40, no vocals during intro) and the original of "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" (with Brian Littrell singing both verses).

The re-release of the U.S. "Backstreet Boys" album (01241-41589-2-R) has the "Radio Mix" of "As Long As You Love Me" (3:32, vocals at 0:07) and a new version of "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" (with Nick Carter singing the second verse, as used in the music video). The database does not differentiate between these two versions of "QPG".

Edited by VWestlife on 16 August 2021 at 11:01am
Back to Top View VWestlife's Profile Search for other posts by VWestlife Visit VWestlife's Homepage

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2021 at 4:57am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

VWestlife wrote:
The first release of the U.S. "Backstreet Boys" album (01241-41589-2) has the original version of "As Long As You Love Me"
(3:40, no vocals during intro) and the original "Video Version" of "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" (with Brian Littrell singing both verses,
which was ironically not used in the music video).

The re-release of the U.S. "Backstreet Boys" album (01241-41589-2-R) has the "Radio Mix" of "As Long As You Love Me" (3:32, vocals at 0:07) and
the "LP Version" of "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" (with Nick Carter singing the second verse). The database does not differentiate between
these two versions of "QPG".

Thanks for mentioning the differences with these songs. I used to have their self-titled first album and it was apparently the second pressing
with the differences you describe.

As for "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)", I know there were two separate commercial CD Singles in the US for the song. One came in a thin,
slimline jewel case and the other was a in special, limited edition Digipak (I assume that's what they're called). I checked my collection of CD
Singles and apparently the Original LP Version with Brian Littrell singing both verses was on the Limited Edition CD Single (listed simply as "LP
Version" on the single). I'm pretty sure I also have the more common slimline jewel case CD Single, so I will check that later today and report
back about what version appears on there.

I can't speak for what versions are on the 45 and Cassette Single though, since I don't have either one of those. (I stopped collecting Cassette
Singles at the end of 1996, several months before this song was a hit).

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 August 2021 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Regarding "Quit Playing Games," I never realized there are two versions. I have three different US promos and at least one of the commercial CD singles. The promos have the following catalog numbers:

JDJ-42452-2 (LP & inst)
JDJ-42452-2A (LP & inst)
JDJ-42488-2 (remixes)

The commercial CD single I have includes Brian singing both verses, and I had never heard this version until this morning. My copy of JDJ-42542-2A has Nick singing the second verse. I'll pull the other promo without the "A" at the end of the catalog number when time permits to see if it's the same. I always thought the difference between these two promos was simply the packaging. One comes in a digipak and has a "minimax" CD, while the other is in a standard jewel case with a full disc label.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

VWestlife
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2021 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote VWestlife

So is it the other way around? Wikipedia lists the "Video Version" of the single being released first, and then the "LP Version", but that didn't make sense to me.

Also apparently the version with Brian singing both verses was released after they had already re-recorded it with Nick singing the second verse. Maybe they were test-marketing both versions to see which one would catch on. I remember at first BSB had somewhat of a "tough guy"/R&B image (they even rapped a bit on their first European album!), but then they leaned heavily in the teen pop idol direction.
Back to Top View VWestlife's Profile Search for other posts by VWestlife Visit VWestlife's Homepage

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2021 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

VWestlife wrote:
So is it the other way around? Wikipedia lists the "Video Version" of the single being released first, and then the "LP
Version", but that didn't make sense to me.

Also apparently the version with Brian singing both verses was released after they had already re-recorded it with Nick singing the
second verse. Maybe they were test-marketing both versions to see which one would catch on. I remember at first BSB had somewhat of a
"tough guy"/R&B image (they even rapped a bit on their first European album!), but then they leaned heavily in the teen pop idol direction.

I'm wondering if maybe the LP with Brian on both verses was released first, but the single itself wasn't released until after it was re-
recorded with Nick? Wiki also refers to the Nick version as the "Single Version", but like I mentioned before, the commercial CD Single has
Brian on 2nd verse. (At least the US Single does. It's possible the Nick version was a single in other countries).

EDIT: Ok, just checked Wikipedia and it seems that the LP was released internationally in May 1996, a few months before the re-recording with
Nick's vocals. In the US, it was released in 1997 with Brian on 2nd verse and the single released that year also had Brian's 2nd verse vocals. The
US re-release of the LP was in 1998 with Nick's vocals.

Edited by thecdguy on 16 August 2021 at 8:05am

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2021 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Quote:
The commercial CD single I have includes Brian singing both verses, and I had never heard this version until this morning. My copy of JDJ-42542-2A
has Nick singing the second verse. I'll pull the other promo without the "A" at the end of the catalog number when time permits to see if it's the same.

I have a feeling the 42542-2 is going to be the Brian 2nd verse version, Aaron. I guess that would account for why they'd re-release the same promo with
the same number and tracks with an "A" at the end, to signify that something was different about it from the first one. Just a guess, though.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 August 2021 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

thecdguy wrote:
I have a feeling the 42542-2 is going to be the Brian 2nd verse version, Aaron. I guess that would account for why they'd re-release the same promo with the same number and tracks with an "A" at the end, to signify that something was different about it from the first one. Just a guess, though.

I pulled the promo, and it has Nick singing the second verse, just like the promo with the "A" at the end. If they had been different, I feel they would've called attention to this change (i.e. "New Version"). Instead, they are both simply labeled LP Version with nothing calling out any differences between the audio contained on each promo.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 August 2021 at 4:07am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Yes, good point. They probably would've made some kind of notation about it being different somehow. Now the question is why there were two different pressings
with the same tracks and basically the same number.

Edited by thecdguy on 17 August 2021 at 4:38am

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version