Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Questions for Paul Haney... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 14 August 2019
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 559
Posted: 05 May 2020 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

I noticed the Hot 100 chart for the week of June 26, 1993 listed Snow's "Informer" at #52 and being in its 20th week on the chart, when in reality it was actually in its 25th week and should have been removed from the chart that week as per Billboard's rule of songs being taken off the chart once they reached 20 weeks charted and fell below the Top 50. Was this an oversight on Billboard's part?

Edited by thecdguy on 05 May 2020 at 2:13pm


__________________
Dan In Philly
Back to Top View thecdguy's Profile Search for other posts by thecdguy
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1609
Posted: 05 May 2020 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

thecdguy wrote:
I noticed the Hot 100 chart for the week
of June 26, 1993 listed Snow's "Informer" at #52 and being
in its 20th week on the chart, when in reality it was
actually in its 25th week and should have been removed
from the chart that week as per Billboard's rule of songs
being taken off the chart once they reached 20 weeks
charted and fell below the Top 50. Was this an oversight
on Billboard's part?


Looks like someone changed the weeks charted to 20, so
they kept it on the chart. Hey, mistakes happen!
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 29 October 2004
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4974
Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

conspiracy!


__________________
edtop40
Back to Top View edtop40's Profile Search for other posts by edtop40
 
thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 14 August 2019
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 559
Posted: 06 May 2020 at 4:56am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Has there been any discussion of a possible book of the Radio & Records Charts, similar to the Billboard and Cashbox Charts books? I imagine since their charts varied between 30-50 positions, multiple charts could be printed on the same page and there might not be a need for separate books of individual decades.

__________________
Dan In Philly
Back to Top View thecdguy's Profile Search for other posts by thecdguy
 
thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 14 August 2019
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 559
Posted: 06 May 2020 at 5:33am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

Also, will there be any more editions of "The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Hits"? I see the last edition that ends in 2009 in a local book store every time I go in and was thinking about giving that book to a friend as a gift. He's not quite as much of a chart freak like me, so it would be perfect for him.

__________________
Dan In Philly
Back to Top View thecdguy's Profile Search for other posts by thecdguy
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1609
Posted: 06 May 2020 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

thecdguy wrote:
Has there been any discussion of a
possible book of the Radio & Records Charts, similar to
the Billboard and Cashbox Charts books? I imagine since
their charts varied between 30-50 positions, multiple
charts could be printed on the same page and there might
not be a need for separate books of individual decades.


I'd like to see it someday, but no plans for it at this
time.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1609
Posted: 06 May 2020 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

thecdguy wrote:
Also, will there be any more editions of
"The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Hits"? I see the last
edition that ends in 2009 in a local book store every time
I go in and was thinking about giving that book to a
friend as a gift. He's not quite as much of a chart freak
like me, so it would be perfect for him.


There will be no more updates to that particular book.
That's one of the reasons we did the Whitburn Book of Top
10 Hits, so the casual chart fan could have a reference of
the biggest hits.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
jebsib
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 06 April 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 160
Posted: 06 May 2020 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote jebsib

I's a shame about those "Billboard Books of Top 40 Hits". As they were
available in very visible mainstream book stores, they were an affordable and
digestible entry point into the Record Research world.
Back to Top View jebsib's Profile Search for other posts by jebsib
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1609
Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

jebsib wrote:
I's a shame about those "Billboard Books
of Top 40 Hits". As they were available in very visible
mainstream book stores, they were an affordable and
digestible entry point into the Record Research world.


I agree! After all, my first few Record Research books
were the Top 40 publications. We wanted to do further
editions, but when Billboard Books was bought up by Random
House, the new management didn't ask us to continue. So
it goes.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 18 October 2004
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2049
Posted: 25 May 2020 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Paul, what year did Random House buy Billboard Books? And did they only buy that title, or other Record Research books as well?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1609
Posted: 26 May 2020 at 4:13am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

EdisonLite wrote:
Paul, what year did Random House buy
Billboard Books? And did they only buy that title, or
other Record Research books as well?


I don't remember the exact year. They only bought the
rights to the Top 40 Hits series. We never did own that
series, we just compiled the information for Billboard
Books. All of the actual Record Research publications are
owned by us 100%.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 10 July 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 346
Posted: 27 June 2020 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

I love the new Top 10 Hits book, but why doesn't "What's It Gonna Be?!" by Busta Rhymes and Janet Jackson count towards her overall tally, while Busta and Mariah Carey's collaboration "I Know What You Want" counts towards hers?

(One could argue Herb Alpert's "Diamonds" should count towards Janet's overall count, too, though she didn't take a marquee credit on the single label.)
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1609
Posted: 28 June 2020 at 4:21am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Underground Dub wrote:
I love the new Top 10 Hits book,
but why doesn't "What's It Gonna Be?!" by Busta Rhymes
and Janet Jackson count towards her overall tally, while
Busta and Mariah Carey's collaboration "I Know What You
Want" counts towards hers?

(One could argue Herb Alpert's "Diamonds" should count
towards Janet's overall count, too, though she didn't
take a marquee credit on the single label.)


We currently have Janet in as a "Featuring" credit only.
As you probably are aware, we don't count "Featuring"
credits under the secondary artist(s). Perhaps we need
to revisit that one. These credits have been a major
headache for us in recent years!
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
jebsib
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 06 April 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 160
Posted: 28 June 2020 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote jebsib

In Billboard, "IKWYW" was credited as Busta Rhymes and Mariah Carey (so she
was considered a lead artist, not a featured one like Janet). Record Research
did the right thing… Unlike "A Love Bizarre", Paul! :-)



Edited by jebsib on 28 June 2020 at 2:54pm
Back to Top View jebsib's Profile Search for other posts by jebsib
 
Scanner
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 14 August 2019
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 197
Posted: 09 September 2020 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Scanner

Has Record Research ever considered re-doing the Record
World 101-150 book? I never understood why the book
only included songs that charted exclusively in Record
World that peaked in positions 101-150. I know I would
have certainly preferred a book that included all
songs that peaked at Nos. 101-150 in Record World
regardless of whether they charted elsewhere. Since the
research has been done and publshed in the Comparison
Book, the project is already partly done!

Another idea - update the Record World "Hit Records"
book to include the 101-150 hits.   
Back to Top View Scanner's Profile Search for other posts by Scanner
 
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 18 October 2004
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2049
Posted: 09 September 2020 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I like both those ideas as well.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage
 
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 30 June 2018
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1357
Posted: 09 September 2020 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Nice site redesign Paul!

__________________
"I'm a pop archivist, not a chart philosopher, I seek to listen, observe and document the chart position of music."
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1609
Posted: 10 September 2020 at 3:39am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

PopArchivist wrote:
Nice site redesign Paul!


Thanks! The website sorely needed to be upgraded. It was a pretty big investment, hope it
pays off!

As for redoing the Record World book(s), I just don't see it happening. The Comparison Book
has all the info, which is why it's my personal favorite Record Research book!
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
RoknRobnLoxley
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 25 October 2017
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Posted: 10 September 2020 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote RoknRobnLoxley

I'm sure we'd all go for an expanded Comparison Book, a new 1952 to 1996 (vs. the current 1954 to 1982). Extra years of comparing Cashbox to Billboard !!
Back to Top View RoknRobnLoxley's Profile Search for other posts by RoknRobnLoxley
 
Scanner
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 14 August 2019
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 197
Posted: 10 September 2020 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote Scanner

RoknRobnLoxley wrote:
I'm sure we'd all go for an
expanded Comparison Book, a new 1952 to 1996 (vs. the
current 1954 to 1982). Extra years of comparing
Cashbox to Billboard !!


Agreed....ending the Comparison Book in 1982 was too
soon. Heck, I would add R&R to the book as well.
Although R&R was exclusively an airplay chart, that
was an era when sales and airplay generally were in
sync unlike today.

Paul, what was the rationale for not including all
101-150 hits in the Record World book? This is the
only Record Research book I can think of that was
published with such a condition that made the book an
incomplete resource.
Back to Top View Scanner's Profile Search for other posts by Scanner
 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



This page was generated in 0.0781 seconds.