Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Questions for Paul Haney... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RoknRobnLoxley
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 25 October 2017
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Posted: 25 September 2019 at 5:45am | IP Logged Quote RoknRobnLoxley

A question for Paul, or any of us chart nuts:

Does anyone remember, or know anything about, a Top 20 pop chart that may have been syndicated in newspapers, during the 60s and 70s (and maybe before and after), going by the name of "Young Folks Choose Week's Top Records"? This chart ran in the Lynchburg, Va, Sunday newspaper, starting sometime before 1964, and seemingly ending in May 1974. I recall there being records on this chart in 1972 that were not in Billboard, Cashbox, or Record World, such as "Hi Honey Ho" by Aussie band Daddy Cool. Just trying to find out who put this together, and if it was local, regional, or national. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks !!
Back to Top View RoknRobnLoxley's Profile Search for other posts by RoknRobnLoxley
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1609
Posted: 26 September 2019 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

RoknRobnLoxley wrote:
A question for Paul, or any of us
chart nuts:

Does anyone remember, or know anything about, a Top 20
pop chart that may have been syndicated in newspapers,
during the 60s and 70s (and maybe before and after),
going by the name of "Young Folks Choose Week's Top
Records"? This chart ran in the Lynchburg, Va, Sunday
newspaper, starting sometime before 1964, and seemingly
ending in May 1974. I recall there being records on this
chart in 1972 that were not in Billboard, Cashbox, or
Record World, such as "Hi Honey Ho" by Aussie band Daddy
Cool. Just trying to find out who put this together, and
if it was local, regional, or national. Anyone know
anything about this? Thanks !!


Robin, I believe you are referring to "What Young People
Think Are The Top Records of the Week" which was compiled
by The Gilbert Youth Research Company. Eugene Gilbert
(and later Nancy Gilbert) were "youth experts" who ran
several syndicated youth "research" articles over the
years. Yes, this chart was also syndicated in several
U.S. newspapers. I've found them going all the way back
to 1958.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
RoknRobnLoxley
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 25 October 2017
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Posted: 26 September 2019 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote RoknRobnLoxley

Thanks Paul! This is most interesting. Although the title of the Top 20 chart in the Lynchburg paper was "Young Folks Choose Week's Top Records" it could be the same thing. Perhaps Gilbert Youth Research changed it in later years, or the Lynchburg paper truncated the title to save space. I'll do some more exploring with this new info. Greatly appreciate it!!

Edited by RoknRobnLoxley on 26 September 2019 at 12:53pm
Back to Top View RoknRobnLoxley's Profile Search for other posts by RoknRobnLoxley
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1609
Posted: 26 September 2019 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Robin, yes they did change the wording over the years, but
I'm pretty sure that's it. I'm not sure if Nancy Gilbert
was Eugene's daughter, but her name starting appearing in
the byline somewhere along the way.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
jebsib
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 06 April 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 160
Posted: 19 February 2020 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote jebsib

Paul, given the recent resurgence in the cultural importance of Holiday Music
on the charts - along with the regular referencing of the new (ish) Holiday 100
- might you consider updating your "Christmas in the Charts" tome from
2004?
Back to Top View jebsib's Profile Search for other posts by jebsib
 
RoknRobnLoxley
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 25 October 2017
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 70
Posted: 25 February 2020 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote RoknRobnLoxley

FYI, Record Research is publishing a new book, "The Whitburn Book of Top 10 Hits 1950-2020", which credits all US charted records with the highest Top 10 peak it achieved on Billboard, Cashbox, Record World/Music Vendor, or Radio & Records. A very fab idea!

It'd be even more kool if Paul & Joel could revise the Comparison Book for all 4 of these charts, and for 1950-2009. Take my money, please !! I'll even pay you to take my money !!

Edited by RoknRobnLoxley on 25 February 2020 at 9:28am
Back to Top View RoknRobnLoxley's Profile Search for other posts by RoknRobnLoxley
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1609
Posted: 25 February 2020 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

jebsib wrote:
Paul, given the recent resurgence in the
cultural importance of Holiday Music
on the charts - along with the regular referencing of the
new (ish) Holiday 100
- might you consider updating your "Christmas in the
Charts" tome from
2004?


We are discussing the possibility of an updated book.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 14 August 2019
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 559
Posted: 01 March 2020 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

I have a question about The Knack's "My Sharona". The Pop Singles book I have says the 1994 listing of the song which peaked at #91 is the same version as the 1979 version that went to #1. However, I know there was a remix for the song at the time and the '94 single is listed on Discogs as being Remixed by Dave Jerden. It's only listed as "Edit" and has about the same running time as the original single. Is the notation of "Same Version" simply an error, or did '94 commercial copies actually have the same version/mix as the '79 single?

Edited by thecdguy on 01 March 2020 at 9:46am
Back to Top View thecdguy's Profile Search for other posts by thecdguy
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1609
Posted: 02 March 2020 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

thecdguy wrote:
I have a question about The Knack's "My
Sharona". The Pop Singles book I have says the 1994
listing of the song which peaked at #91 is the same
version as the 1979 version that went to #1. However, I
know there was a remix for the song at the time and the
'94 single is listed on Discogs as being Remixed by Dave
Jerden. It's only listed as "Edit" and has about the same
running time as the original single. Is the notation of
"Same Version" simply an error, or did '94 commercial
copies actually have the same version/mix as the '79
single?


Pat's database says that it's the 45 version (remixed).
I just listened to the cassette single and it says it was
remixed by Dave Jerden. If it is indeed a remix, it's
pretty subtle, at least to my ears.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
Bellenger1981
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 18 July 2019
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 189
Posted: 02 March 2020 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Bellenger1981

Indeed. The '94 version is a remix.
Compare the '79 mix and the '94 remix side
by side. While both versions appear to use
the same instruments, the '94 version is a
"beefier" mix. Compare the drums. They
stand out much more in the '94 remix.

__________________
Jason Bellenger
Byron Center, Michigan, USA
Back to Top View Bellenger1981's Profile Search for other posts by Bellenger1981
 
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 30 June 2018
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1357
Posted: 27 March 2020 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Paul,

Just curious but do you have a spreadsheet or document for all 4500 plus airplay hits you list in the 1955-2018 Top Pop Singles book either by year or by artist? I would like to go through my archives and collections and pull them all out to see if I have them, but it is agonizing going artist to artist to gather the airplay hits up. I have always bought Record Research books (Annual, Top Pop Hits, 1940-1954 Albums and Singles, 1900-1940 Book etc. and your E-Books) So I am a loyal customer already to Record Research just looking for a quick way to get all these airplay hits without turning pages...

I know I have mentioned this before but why is Joel against adding some hits (All At Once by Whitney Houston, Miles Away by Madonna) that were clearly played on the radio but never charted? What magic criteria allows Joel to add the hit as an airplay and exclude certain songs otherwise? I am always interested in hearing his logic.

Also been wondering this for a long time, but a good edition to the Hot 100 annual is all the radio edits that were on promo 45's or CD singles that were the versions we all grew up on. If I were just to pick up the 2016 Hot 100 Annual I wouldnt even know shorter versions exist of many songs that were commercially available. Just my two cents where you can go in 2022 when you come out with the new book :)

PS Also did Joel decide on the 2010-2019 PDF charts either in book or PDF form yet? Or is it too many pages to consider due to formatting changes at Billboard?



Edited by PopArchivist on 27 March 2020 at 7:58pm


__________________
"I'm a pop archivist, not a chart philosopher, I seek to listen, observe and document the chart position of music."
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist
 
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 01 April 2005
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1609
Posted: 28 March 2020 at 4:30am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

PopArchivist wrote:
Paul,

Just curious but do you have a spreadsheet or document
for all 4500 plus airplay hits you list in the 1955-2018
Top Pop Singles book either by year or by artist? I would
like to go through my archives and collections and pull
them all out to see if I have them, but it is agonizing
going artist to artist to gather the airplay hits up. I
have always bought Record Research books (Annual, Top Pop
Hits, 1940-1954 Albums and Singles, 1900-1940 Book etc.
and your E-Books) So I am a loyal customer already to
Record Research just looking for a quick way to get all
these airplay hits without turning pages...

I know I have mentioned this before but why is Joel
against adding some hits (All At Once by Whitney Houston,
Miles Away by Madonna) that were clearly played on the
radio but never charted? What magic criteria allows Joel
to add the hit as an airplay and exclude certain songs
otherwise? I am always interested in hearing his logic.

Also been wondering this for a long time, but a good
edition to the Hot 100 annual is all the radio edits that
were on promo 45's or CD singles that were the versions
we all grew up on. If I were just to pick up the 2016 Hot
100 Annual I wouldnt even know shorter versions exist of
many songs that were commercially available. Just my two
cents where you can go in 2022 when you come out with the
new book :)

PS Also did Joel decide on the 2010-2019 PDF charts
either in book or PDF form yet? Or is it too many pages
to consider due to formatting changes at Billboard?



Sorry, but we don't have any spreadsheets available.

Also, not sure what you mean by "excluding" some airplay
hits. Obviously, if they charted, then we include them.
Perhaps you're referring to the "non Hot 100 classics"???

We are considering publishing the Hot 100 charts for the
decade just passed. It would have to be in two volumes
because of the way Billboard now publishes them. We are
currently scanning the 2010-2014 charts and will most
likely have that volume available later this year. We're
just not sure if the demand will warrant a second volume
or not.

As far as other projects in the works, we are just about
finished scanning the 1980s Cash Box Top 100 charts.
We've also started work on an updated Rock Tracks
(Mainstream/Alternative) book. Also, look for a possible
video chat series with me and Joel that we hope to launch
soon!
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney
 
kingofskiffle
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 19 November 2018
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 24
Posted: 28 March 2020 at 5:26am | IP Logged Quote kingofskiffle

Really looking forward to a new Rock Tracks book! I have the 2008 edition.
Back to Top View kingofskiffle's Profile Search for other posts by kingofskiffle
 
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 30 June 2018
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1357
Posted: 28 March 2020 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Paul Haney wrote:
Also, not sure what you mean by "excluding" some airplay hits. Obviously, if they charted, then we include them. Perhaps you're referring to the "non Hot 100 classics"???


I am referring to the classic non hot 100 hits. I mentioned All At Once and Miles Away as examples of hits that radio played that never charted on the Hot 100, but are considerable hits for Whitney and Madonna. Cry by Rihanna was released outside the USA but was a hit otherwise in other countries. Not sure if it got airplay here but these are just a few examples. Plenty I could post here that should be included but are overlooked...

Edited by PopArchivist on 28 March 2020 at 4:45pm


__________________
"I'm a pop archivist, not a chart philosopher, I seek to listen, observe and document the chart position of music."
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist
 
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group


Joined: 16 January 2005
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6368
Posted: 28 March 2020 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

PopArchivist wrote:
I know I have mentioned this before but why is Joel against adding some hits (All At Once by Whitney Houston, Miles Away by Madonna) that were clearly played on the radio but never charted? What magic criteria allows Joel to add the hit as an airplay and exclude certain songs otherwise? I am always interested in hearing his logic.

I'm not Joel or Paul, but as far as the songs specifically marked with the airplay [AIR] symbol, those would've had to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart to be eligible for inclusion, right?

__________________
Aaron Kannowski
Uptown Sound
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage
 
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 30 June 2018
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1357
Posted: 28 March 2020 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Aaron,

I think All At Once got radio airplay, but can't confirm. I know Miles Away got airplay on the radio, but it never charted or even bubbled under. It did make it to the dance chart if I recall.

All At Once was released as a single in the UK and other countries but not here even though it was played here.

tps://www.discogs.com/Whitney-Houston-All-At-Once/master/225 428

Miles Away was released as a single but never charted on the Hot 100

https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Miles-Away/release/1585791

Edited by PopArchivist on 28 March 2020 at 5:58pm


__________________
"I'm a pop archivist, not a chart philosopher, I seek to listen, observe and document the chart position of music."
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist
 
thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 14 August 2019
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 559
Posted: 28 March 2020 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

"All At Once" was the B-Side of the "Saving All My Love For You" single in the US, and I know I heard it on a few AC stations in my area. I guess it didn't have enough airplay points at any one time to be listed as a double-sided hit on the chart along with "Saving".

__________________
Dan In Philly
Back to Top View thecdguy's Profile Search for other posts by thecdguy
 
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 30 June 2018
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1357
Posted: 28 March 2020 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

thecdguy wrote:
"All At Once" was the B-Side of the "Saving All My Love For You" single in the US, and I know I heard it on a few AC stations in my area. I guess it didn't have enough airplay points at any one time to be listed as a double-sided hit on the chart along with "Saving".


Airplay or not, that's why I was trying to understand how Joel and Paul view the Classic Non-Hot 100 Hits and how they determine what goes in the book or not. To exclude All At Once is to ignore its impact in the AC market. It clearly got played, B-side or not..

__________________
"I'm a pop archivist, not a chart philosopher, I seek to listen, observe and document the chart position of music."
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist
 
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group


Joined: 16 January 2005
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6368
Posted: 28 March 2020 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I definitely understand your point, Rich, but “All At Once” certainly
would’ve been included with the [AIR] symbol next to the appropriate
peak position had it charted on the Hot 100 Airplay chart, right? That’s
all I was trying to confirm.

__________________
Aaron Kannowski
Uptown Sound
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage
 
PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan


Joined: 30 June 2018
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1357
Posted: 28 March 2020 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

aaronk wrote:
I definitely understand your point, Rich, but “All At Once” certainly
would’ve been included with the [AIR] symbol next to the appropriate
peak position had it charted on the Hot 100 Airplay chart, right? That’s
all I was trying to confirm.


Understood. I dont have access to the airplay 1985-1986 charts so I would not know. Paul might...

__________________
"I'm a pop archivist, not a chart philosopher, I seek to listen, observe and document the chart position of music."
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist
 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



This page was generated in 0.0938 seconds.