Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: diana king "shy guy" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 January 2010 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cassingle of the song "shy guy" by diana king issued as work 77678 states the version as the "radio edit" with no listed run time but actually runs 3:40......the db states that there is a length issue, but the radio edit ends cold.....so i think the entries need to reviewed again to find out which is which.....i have the correct cassingle version from the cd single....

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2010 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

As Ed points out, the single version ends cold at 3:40. The song re-starts on the LP version, but the re-start slightly overlaps the ending of the single version. The difference between the two is therefore slightly more than just length.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2010 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Ed,
Does your cassette have a cold intro? We played a version that had the "I don't want no fly guy, I just want a shy guy" edited off. It was from one of the music services, though not a TM-Century Hitdisc (which I believe had the cold intro).
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 January 2010 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My station always played a version that had a slightly different cold ending than what is on the Bad Boys soundtrack. The version we played had "shy guy" repeated only twice at the end. On the soundtrack, Diana sings it three times in a row. Anyone familiar with this version?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2010 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the commercial cassingle starts with the intro

"I don't want no fly guy, I just want a shy guy, that's what i want yeah, you know what i want, yeah"

THEN the music starts, so it is NOT a cold intro

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2010 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Ed, I think Aaron was asking about a different cold ending that his station played.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

edtop40 wrote:
the commercial cassingle starts with the intro

"I don't want no fly guy, I just want a shy guy, that's what i want yeah, you know what i want, yeah"

THEN the music starts, so it is NOT a cold intro

Actually, a "cold intro" refers to a song starting with the vocal, as your copy does.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 January 2010 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

eriejwg wrote:
Ed, I think Aaron was asking about a different cold ending that his station played.

Yes, I was wondering about the slightly different ending. I've never heard an official version that cuts off the acapella intro; however, my station cued past it when playing it on the air.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Here are the contents of my promo CD single:

Diana King-"Shy Guy" (OSK 6481)
1-Radio Edit (listed 3:39; actual 3:41)
2-Darpe Mix (listed & actual 3:41)
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 August 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just revisted my copy on a Network 40 radio sampler, and I can confirm that this copy runs 3:37 and only repeats "shy guy" twice at the end. There must be another promo single floating around out there somewhere...

mainrhythm
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2010 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote mainrhythm

My Promo Only Mainstream and Radio Essential Series discs also contain the ending with two "shy guy"s at the end. After listening they seem tighter than the the other version with three. I swear you can also hear the edit point between the two because of a cymbal being clipped.

I also have a "Better Into Edit" version on a Golddisc that has an actual time of 4:04. It cuts off the acapella intro and has a fade ending.

Back to Top View mainrhythm's Profile Search for other posts by mainrhythm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 August 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat brought up in another thread that he doesn't include details of DJ compilations, which is understandable. My question, though, is should we include song timing/version info if it has appeared on more than one DJ compilation?

In this thread, for example, it has been documented that THREE different DJ compilations (Promo Only Mainstream, Radio Essential Series, and Network 40) have all included the same edit of "Shy Guy." It is very likely that this version is an official record company issue, although we have yet to see evidence presented on the board of an actual promo CD single with this 3:37 version.

Basically, I have a huge collection of radio compilation discs from the last 13 years, but I don't have a massive collection of promo CD singles from that era. I am more than happy to supply missing database details of radio versions if they have appeared on my DJ compilations and are very likely to have come from original promo CD singles.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 August 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

mainrhythm wrote:
I swear you can also hear the edit point between the two because of a cymbal being clipped.

I believe what you're hearing is a hi-hat tap and not a clipped cymbal. The ending on this unique version is not simply edited. After the two "shy guys," there is some trailing reverb, but no echo. My stock CD single that has three "shy guys" at the end has an echo--not just reverb. It's more like "shy guy, shy guy, shy guy...guy, shy guy, shy guy (echoes out)." For this reason, you would not be able to re-create the promo version by just editing.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 August 2010 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

OK, I had to go back and listen more carefully. The entire song is a barely noticeable but slightly different mix, and I had never noticed this until doing a side-by-side comparison. The only real difference is that "Radio Edit" on the commercial CD single has "sleigh bells" throughout the song; the promo version has the bells pushed back further in the mix and filtered (all of the high frequencies removed). Also, the EQ on the commercial CD single is much brighter.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 November 2018 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just obtained Volume 110 of the Hitmakers series (radio V/A promo discs), and this CD also features the 3:37 alternate mix of "Shy Guy." For the last 8 years, I've been hunting for evidence of a promo CD single with this mix with no luck.

In my travels, however, I found a remix promo CD single. I had never heard any of these remixes prior to finding this CD, but here are the details:

OSK 7205
1. Salah Einstein Mix (actual 4:21)
2. Einstrumental (actual 4:31)
3. Stripped Salah Mix (actual 4:17)
4. Accapella (actual 4:25)

These are drastically different versions from the hit recording. Not only do they have a very urban sounding backing track, but the vocals are totally re-recorded. The remixes sample "Remind Me" by Patrice Rushen, which was one of the tracks on the same album as "Forget Me Nots."

Edited by aaronk on 22 November 2018 at 9:09am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version