Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: olivia newton john "tied up" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 August 2009 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

although not in the db because of it's low chart peak position, #38 in early 1983, my commercial 45 issued as mca 52155 states a run time on the label as 4:08, but actually runs 4:10, and is an edit on the full length 4:27 cd version......aaron...thanks for the custom edit you did for me awhile ago

Edited by edtop40 on 11 August 2009 at 4:09pm

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2009 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Does anyone have the edit instructions to recreate the 45 version?
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote abagon

Roscoe,
The 45 version (the actual running time (4:10)) has an edit on the intro and a fadeout at the ending.
Probabley, its range is "0:04.063 - 0:11.668" on my "OLIVIA'S GREATEST HITS Vol.2" Japan pressing vinyl LP (the actual running time (4:26)).

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

JL328
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 May 2016 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote JL328

If I'm not mistaken, this song's parent album was Greatest Hits Vol. 2,
correct? Is the 4:26 version that appears on CDs like "Gold" the LP version?
Back to Top View JL328's Profile Search for other posts by JL328

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2016 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

I've been a big fan of ONJ since I was a kid in the '70s. Have even seen her in concert twice over the years. The 1978-84 period (Totally Hot through the O.S.T. to Two of a Kind), is by far my favorite - which happens to be where this particular song falls...

JL328 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, this song's parent album was Greatest Hits Vol. 2, correct?

Indeed. In fact, 1982's GH, Vol. 2 was the first album of hers I ever bought (on cassette), as it was her then-current album when I first began buying music in '83. Loved both of the new songs included on it ("Heart Attack" and "Tied Up"). I've since added the rare original U.S. cassette that came in the limited-edition 12" x 12" LP-size packaging, as well as an original Japan-for-U.S. pressing of the CD. (Unfortunately, the latter is packed away at the moment, or else I'd double-check the timing for you, but yes, the 4:26 version that appears on 2005's Gold should be the LP version...)

edtop40 wrote:
although not in the db because of it's low chart peak position, #38 in early 1983...

I'm not looking to start any trouble here, but researching this myself, and based on my current understanding of Pat's "formula" for determining which songs were consensus top 40 hits, I wish to argue that "Tied Up" WAS a consensus top 40 hit, and therefore, BELONGS in his on-line db... :-)

I'll go ahead and start w/ this quote from Pat made back on 08 April 2013, in response to a post from edtop40 in the aretha franklin ain't no way thread:

Pat Downey wrote:
Ed, I do not know how many times I have responded to how I derived a "concensus" top 40 that appears in the database but I will respond one more time. There were 3 major trade publications in the rock and roll era, Record World, Billboard and Cash Box. Each had their own system for rating hit singles and quite often, chart positions were actually purchased so to even the playing field so to speak I averaged chart positions to form a concensus Top 40. Let's look at "Ain't No Way" which reached #71 on Cash Box, #38 on Record World and #16 on Billboard. Sum those 3 numbers to get 125 and divide by 3 to get an average chart position of 41.6...

Okay, as most of us know, as it turned out, Record World bowed out of the game in April of '82, some 8-9 months prior to "Tied Up" being released as a single in December of that same year - leaving only Billboard and Cash Box to measure the song's popularity in early '83. As edtop40 mentioned above, "Tied Up" peaked at #38 in Billboard, but it also got to #42 in Cash Box. So, plugging in that same "formula" Pat used when responding to edtop40 re: the exclusion of "Ain't No Way" from the db, 38 + 42 = 80, and when divided by 2, that equals an average chart position of 40, which WOULD mean it qualifies...

Pat, if I'm missing any additional sources that you may have added to your "formula" once the '80s rolled around (where "Tied Up" must've missed the top 40), then I'll respect your decision to leave this one out of the db. I know you've changed your mind when it comes to the inclusion/exclusion of several other songs in the db over the years, and have even admitted to an oversight or two. I just want to make sure that we all have a correct understanding of your "formula", and that this song didn't somehow fall through the cracks into the "oversight" category - because if it did, I know I'd be more than happy to see "Tied Up" added to the db... :-)

And speaking of ONJ's lesser hits from the 1978-84 era, I've always been shocked at how "Landslide" failed to at least crack the top 40 when released as the third single from Physical in May of '82, on MCA 52069 (only hit #52 in Billboard and #54 in Cash Box). My older edition of Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles book includes a footnote below that song, which states "originally released on MCA 51155 in 1981 with a picture sleeve". Can anyone here back that up??? I ask because while I admit I've never done any extensive searching, I've yet to see either a promo or commercial U.S. 45 w/ that number. True, the back of the picture sleeve that came w/ most copies of MCA 52069 erroneously stated it was "MCA 51155". However, at this time, I suspect what happened was that "Landslide" was initially selected by the label to be the lead single from the Physical album in the Summer of '81, they printed up the picture sleeves, and then decided at the last minute to go w/ the title track instead (wise move). The sleeves were then shelved for a good nine months, until the label did issue "Landslide" as a commercial single the following May, and thus the sleeves didn't end up going to waste, even though the catalog no. on the actual 45 had been updated to "52069". Do any of the radio folks here remember "Landslide" initially being promoted by MCA in the Summer of '81???

I was also surprised (and disappointed) at how ONJ's 1983 duet w/ John Travolta, "Take a Chance", was relegated to the B-side of "Twist of Fate". Great song, and IMHO, it deserved to be a pop hit in its own right, although it did hit the top 5 on the A/C chart in early '84. I do remember the song getting quite a bit of airplay on top 40 radio as well - at least in SoCal, where I lived at the time...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 May 2016 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I do not recall what other publications I used in determining if Tied Up was a consensus top 40 hit but my guess is that it was Radio & Records which I no longer have. Since you really feel this should be included in the database I have gone ahead and added it today. Note that the only entries that I made are all the LP version.

Edited by Pat Downey on 14 May 2016 at 10:25am
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Glenpwood
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 May 2016 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Glenpwood

Not to sidetrack into Landslide territory but there was no original 45's or
promos released back in late summer of 81. I checked with a few folks
in radio as well as a promotions guy who worked at MCA in that era
when I saw that note in Whitburn's book. The label rep said MCA
originally held the label number for whatever lead single was chosen
from Livvys then upcoming album. There was division between ONJ,
her management & the label as to what the lead should be. Everyone
but her wanted Physical but she feared backlash over the suggestive
lyric. So for a brief window, Landslide was designated the lead single
and the picture sleeve artwork was mocked up. Once the Physical
video concept showed that the literal meaning of the song was gonna
be obscured by the exercise angle and the few key radio station folks
they tested the song on didn't object, Livvy and everyone agreed to go
with It instead. Everything Landslide related was put on the back
burner. It got pushed back even further when radio programmers came
back to MCA saying they wanted Make A Move On Me as the second
single. The UK did stick to issuing LS as the follow up and it went
to#18. When Landslide finally got released next, the old artwork got
issued with the original label number still on it even though the 45s had
the new 52069 number. Unless Joel has that serial numbered 45 in his
vault, I think all the stories i've heard about it are true. All the promo &
stock copies I've seen never carry the earlier number. Coming off the
Xanadu hits, I cannot imagine radio would've resisted playing LS as the
lead single. She was a core enough artist at that time to at least get
stations to test it. After all that effort though, Landslide got pulled
quickly by the label when radio resisted it as "too rock" (according to
the label rep) for daytime Top 40 play. MCA then quickly issued "Heart
Attack" about 6 weeks later and got ONJ back into the Top 3 for the
final time....

Edited by Glenpwood on 16 May 2016 at 8:24pm
Back to Top View Glenpwood's Profile Search for other posts by Glenpwood

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 May 2016 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Pat & Glenpwood: My apologies for the delay in responding (just wrapped up nearly two weeks in the hospital)...

Pat Downey wrote:
I do not recall what other publications I used in determining if Tied Up was a consensus top 40 hit but my guess is that it was Radio & Records which I no longer have.

Ah, so there WAS more to your "secret formula" during that time - thanks for the additional insight! Since I've never worked in radio, the only place I ever recall seeing Radio & Records on the newsstand was at Tower Records, starting in the late '80s. Because I was already buying both Billboard & Cash Box weekly at the time, I decided I just couldn't afford it, so I never bought a single copy, but always made sure I flipped through it whenever I hit a Tower store...

Quote:
Since you really feel this should be included in the database I have gone ahead and added it today. Note that the only entries that I made are all the LP version.

Awesome! :-) Thanks for expanding the db a bit here, Pat, and I'll check to see if I know of any missing CD entries for this song...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 May 2016 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Glenpwood wrote:
Not to sidetrack into Landslide territory but there was no original 45's or promos released back in late summer of 81...There was division between ONJ, her management & the label as to what the lead should be. Everyone but her wanted Physical but she feared backlash over the suggestive lyric.

Thanks for the confirmation and additional details - sounds like you really went the distance in trying to get the scoop on this one! Yes, I've read/heard in the past about Olivia initially not being too keen on the lyrics to "Physical" - but hey, it's tough to argue w/ success, right??? So it would appear that the scenario I described in my original post above was pretty much spot-on...

Quote:
Coming off the Xanadu hits, I cannot imagine radio would've resisted playing LS as the lead single. She was a core enough artist at that time to at least get stations to test it.

Agreed. While I think "Landslide" would've charted higher as a result, I DO think that they ultimately made the right decision to go w/ "Physical" as the lead single instead (always LOVED that rockin' guitar solo from roughly 2:18-2:49!). I'm just saying that I think "Landslide" deserved a better fate, and could've easily led to a fourth single being released from the album...

Quote:
After all that effort though, Landslide got pulled quickly by the label when radio resisted it as "too rock" (according to the label rep) for daytime Top 40 play.

See, that's just it - I've always preferred Livvy's 1978-84 period BECAUSE it "rocked"! (Again, see above comment about the guitar solo in "Physical".) C'mon - let's see, it was 1982, and acts like Joan Jett ("I Love Rock 'n Roll"), the Scorpions ("No One Like You") and Judas Priest ("You've Got Another Thing Comin'") were actually cracking the pop charts! Huh??? So what were they afraid of??? Catering to the male audience (along w/ MTV, of course) was what ultimately brought top 40 radio back to new heights in 1983-84, after the early '80s post-disco slump...

Quote:
MCA then quickly issued "Heart Attack" about 6 weeks later and got ONJ back into the Top 3 for the final time....

"Heart Attack" was great, too, and deserved its top 10 status, IMO...

Quote:
Unless Joel has that serial numbered 45 in his vault, I think all the stories i've heard about it are true.

Yes, that's now my angle as well - thanks again!

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 July 2016 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

80smusicfreak wrote:
Pat Downey wrote:
Since you really feel this should be included in the database I have gone ahead and added it today. Note that the only entries that I made are all the LP version.

Awesome! :-) Thanks for expanding the db a bit here, Pat, and I'll check to see if I know of any missing CD entries for this song...

As promised, I've been doing a little homework here, and it turns out I HAVE uncovered something additional that Pat can include in his db notes re: "Tied Up" - and it's kinda funny, at that... :-)

Right now, the db shows only two U.S. CDs w/ the song, which are 1982's Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 (i.e., the original parent album) and 2005's Gold. Although they all carried the "MCAD-5347" catalog no. (hence only a single listing for the album in Pat's db), there are actually three distinct U.S. pressings of the Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 CD:

1) Originals (circa 1984-85) can be identified by custom artwork on the back insert of the CD, showing a close-up of Olivia's face, as well as the track listing. There is no UPC (bar) code on the back insert of these. The title of track 8 is correctly shown as "TIED UP" on both the back insert & the CD itself. Because this was still the early days of CD, all copies of this version were Japan-for-U.S. pressings, and if it's still in the original plastic jewel case, the top & bottom will be smooth-sided. Page on Discogs, complete w/ photos: ONJ - "GH, Vol. 2" (U.S. CD) (first pressing)

2) Second pressings (circa 1986-87) had the artwork on the back insert changed to one of MCA's generic CD designs, featuring the track listing & other info in black print, on a simple pink background (photo of Olivia is now gone). A UPC (bar) code was also added to the upper right-hand corner. MCA must've had an 18-year-old intern doing their graphic design that day (or did they decide the original song title was too risque???), because the name of track 8 on the back insert was actually changed to "FED UP" (lol!), although it's still correct on the disc itself. Again, because this was still the early days of CD, all copies w/ the "Fed Up" error were Japan-for-U.S. pressings, and also came in the old-style smooth-sided jewel cases. This version isn't well documented, hence there still isn't a page for it yet on Discogs, but here's a recent listing for one that sold on eBay, complete w/ photos: ONJ - "GH, Vol. 2" (U.S. CD) (second pressing)

3) Third pressings (circa 1988-onward) have the identical generic back artwork as found on the second pressings (i.e., black print on a simple pink background). The UPC (bar) code is also there, and again, in the upper right-hand corner. However, the typo on track 8 had now been caught and CORRECTED, as it was again rightly shown as "TIED UP" (as well as on the disc itself). By this time, America now had a sufficient number of CD pressing plants to keep up w/ demand, so all copies of this version (AFAIK) were U.S.-for-U.S. pressings, but now in the current ribbed jewel cases. Page for this version on Discogs, complete w/ photos: ONJ - "GH, Vol. 2" (U.S. CD) (third pressing)

Since CDs made up such a small percentage of the market at the time, the first & second pressings are pretty rare, although I now have copies of both. So if you really love Livvy, just for kicks, you may want to track down one of the rare second pressings of GH, Vol. 2 w/ the "Fed Up" error. (I timed it, and yes, "Tied Up" also clocks in at 4:27 on those.) So Pat should add a note in the db next to MCA 5347, stating "(some pressings incorrectly show title as 'Fed Up')", or something close to that...

Edited by 80smusicfreak on 16 July 2016 at 6:37am

Kiefer2
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 February 2021 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Kiefer2

Does anyone have the edit points for this? It states
earlier that there is an edit in the intro and an early
fade. Thanks!
Back to Top View Kiefer2's Profile Search for other posts by Kiefer2

Michaeldila
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 February 2021 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Michaeldila

I'm pretty sure this is the correct edit

https://youtu.be/wTHUHlRMSDw
Back to Top View Michaeldila's Profile Search for other posts by Michaeldila

Scanner
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2021 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Scanner

I recall being "Fed Up" when I saw "Tied Up" labelled
that way!

The issuance of "Volume 2" on CD was a missed
opportunity for MCA. Since CDs hold about twice the
space of a vinyl album, MCA could have easily added
"Summer Nights" and "Deeper Than The Night" to the CD
edition which were surprisingly omitted from the vinyl
and cassette versions. (I can appreciate that "Summer
Nights" was on another label, but that does not
explain why "Deeper" was excluded...especially since
"Suddenly" charted lower.) I'm surprised it took so
long for record companies, for better or worse, to
realize they could get people to repurchase an album
by adding content like that.

IMO - "Landslide" was a good song, but not for radio.
"Stranger's Touch" or "Carried Away" would have made a
great third single from "Physical," although "Carried
Away" could have been stigmatized as a leftover from
Streisand's "Guilty." Another missed opportunity - a
whole album produced by Barry Gibb for Olivia. Their
duet, "Face To Face," from his "Now Voyager" album
could have been huge!
Back to Top View Scanner's Profile Search for other posts by Scanner

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2021 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

The 45 edit of "Tied Up" has finally made it on to CD as a bonus track on the recent 40th anniversary deluxe edition of Physical. You can read the entire thread on that release here:
http://www.top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9688 &PN=1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version