Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Rhino Digital 45 series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 July 2009 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

You can find these by searching I Tunes for "Digital 45". I would assume there's a lot more to come. Some of them are the original, mono 45 versions. Others, are stereo edits. Examples:

Doors Light My Fire/Crystal Ship ORIGINAL MONO
Deep Purple Smoke on the Water/Smoke on the Water Live ORIGINAL MONO
Eagles Take It Easy/Get You in the Mood ORIGINAL MONO

However, the digital singles of Roundabout/Long Distance Runaround, In A Gadda Da Vida / Iron Butterfly Theme, Daydream Believer/Goin Down are stereo.

On a side note, somebody needs to help them find better photographs of the singles. "Roundabout" has writing on the label!

Edited by Bill Cahill on 12 July 2009 at 5:24pm
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2009 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

What a surprise to finally grab the true mono single version of "Light My Fire".
I thought that the remaining members of the Doors would never let them be released.
Never knew what the big deal was anyway.
Radio has played an edit through the years, but its never been the correct version.
Funny to hear "Take It Easy" with its minor edit of the "ooohs". Plus my single was pressed off center so it sounds even better.
One can only hope its the start of some more Doors/Eagles true single versions in the future!

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2009 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

What a terrific find, Bill! And such a shame MusicGiants is in bankruptcy, because these would surely be available lossless from them. Hopefully, if they emerge from bankruptcy later this year as they hope, we can get these in lossless format.

FYI, these should all be available as full 320kb MP3s from Zune.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2009 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Quite a nice selection, too.

Talking Heads - Take Me To The River
Blues Brothers - Soul Man
C,S & N - Southern Cross
Eagles - Hotel California
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2009 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

What's super-cool is they actually have the original picture sleeve artwork, if the single had a picture sleeve in the U.S. If not, they use the 45 label. I have long been wishing the record companies would do something like this. Digital 45s, original A and B sides. Yeah!

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2009 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" is mono too! Yeehaw!

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2009 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

If you are a Prince fan, the long lost b-side to "Kiss" is now one of the digital 45s ("Love or $") on iTunes. I think this is the first time that track appears anywhere since its '86 vinyl release.

Edited by Santi Paradoa on 22 July 2009 at 11:32am

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2009 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Great news for us singles lovers!

Both "Roundabout" and "Take It Easy" were stereo/mono on the original promo 45s. Bill, maybe Rhino was going for an "authentic" look, hence the writing on the labels. :)

Dear Rhino: how 'bout the Rhino Digital DJ 45s, too? You can even include some permanent marker "X" label markings and date stamps if that'll make them seem more genuine. ;)
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Fingers crossed that the mono 45 version of "25 or 6 to 4" will be released!

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2009 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

regarding artwork, I have been amassing a collection of picture sleeve and 45 label cover art for over two years...i've got 1,000s now from the '50s to the '00s. It's amazing what can be found on the Internet. Seeing the artwork on iTunes or on my iPod as the songs play makes it one step closer to "how it was" in this digital era!

good to read about these digital 45s...i hope the Canadian store has them!

Edited by davidclark on 12 July 2009 at 5:02pm

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2009 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Amazon has them as well...

Digital 45's from Rhino
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2009 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

eriejwg wrote:
Amazon has them as well...

Digital 45's from Rhino

So do Zune and Napster, but iTunes, as is often the case, seems to have a few that are not yet on the other sites.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2009 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Bill Cahill wrote:

Wasn't the original single in stereo? Most WB 45s were in 1973.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

maciav
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2009 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote maciav

Are these rarities from vinyl dubs or from tape sources? It seems ironic that "Light My Fire" is next to impossible to find on CD in its original single format from the original tape sources, and now it is available as an mp3.

jcr102
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2009 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote jcr102

About Light My Fire, it sounds to me like a dub from the original mono 45. I have a beat up copy of the 45 and that's pretty much the way it sounds. It's not the greatest pressing, but it certainly has that punch you want and is the original.
Back to Top View jcr102's Profile Search for other posts by jcr102

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2009 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

jcr102 wrote:
About Light My Fire, it sounds to me like a dub from the original mono 45. I have a beat up copy of the 45 and that's pretty much the way it sounds. It's not the greatest pressing, but it certainly has that punch you want and is the original.

The mono 45 version of LMF is one of those tracks with so much built-in distortion that it would be hard to distinguish between a tape source and a high quality needledrop. The iTunes version sounds very much like the only previous CD release (an import CD single released in conjunction with the Oliver Stone movie), which also sounded very much like my 45 needledrop. It's just one of those 60s mixes with a lot of murk and distortion, built to sound great on AM radios.

Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2009 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hykker wrote:
Bill Cahill wrote:

Wasn't the original single in stereo? Most WB 45s were in 1973.

Both the studio and live sides of the 1973 single were mono, on the DJ and commercial 45s. I have a DJ and stock copy on vinyl, and ten styrene stock copies (from Terre Haute) and all of 'em are mono.

Just checked the "Smoke On The Water" Digital 45 on Amazon, where it's number 24,995 on their "chart." That would make for one L-O-N-G countdown show. No wonder Casey retired. :)

Edited by Yah Shure on 13 July 2009 at 10:33am
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2009 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

ALERT! Sony is getting in on the act! Just uploaded to iTunes minutes ago:

Billie Jean / Can't Get Outta the Rain
Sexual Healing / Instrumental
Girls Just Want to Have Fun / Right Track, Wrong Train
More Than a Feeling / Smokin'
What I Like About You (Single Version) / First in Line
White Rabbit (stereo) / White Rabbit (mono) (not keeping with format, Sony!)

Among others. But Sony is definitely not sticking to the original A/B-side concept. Hmm, with Sony doing it now, you supposed there's an inkling of chance the single version of "The Way We Were" will finally be available?

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2009 at 5:16am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Wait a minute--"More Than A Feeling" and "Sexual Healing" are the LP versions. This isn't as promising as we thought.

Not that "More Than A Feeling" is all that hard to find in its 45 version. But "Sexual Healing" is.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2009 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

From billboard.biz

-----------------------------------------------------

Rhino Launches New Digital Sales Format
July 14, 2009

By Antony Bruno, Denver

Warner Music Group's Rhino Entertainment division is introducing a new digital sales format called the Digital 45, in celebration of the 60-year anniversary of the 45-single.

Starting today (July 14) the company will release a series of digital "singles"-comprising of the original single, the B-side song, and original sleeve and other artwork-through iTunes and other digital retailers. iTunes for instance will feature a total of 60, compiled in a special Digital 45 section on its main storefront, such as "Take I Easy"/"Get You In The Mood" by The Eagles and "Kiss"/"Love or Money" by Prince, for either $1.49 or $1.99.

Rhino will continue to release another 25 such bundles every month to participating digital retailers. Those sold on iTunes will contain a bonus PDF file containing the original sleeve or label art when available.

Many of the songs included in the bundle are making their debut in the digital format, including Jackson Browne's "The Crowe On The Cradle," and James Taylor's "I Can Dream Of You."

The new effort comes several years after Rhino first began experimenting with alternative digital bundles though the Hi5 program. That initiative, which continues today, compiles a number of deeper-cut tracks with a hit single from a given artists in the Rhino catalog for a total of 5 tracks sold at a cheaper price than if all were purchased individually.

Rhino senior VP e-commerce and international catalog strategy David Dorn recently explained the company's digital bundling strategies to Billboard.

Other than celebrating the anniversary of the single, is there a broader goal behind the digital 45 promotion?

The timing was perfect to also introduce a product that is between the single track and an EP. We're always trying to find ways in the digital world to make sure we're satisfying every customer we can. Because you don't have stock issues and you don't have shelf space issues, we can easily do that. The format of the single itself has just come back not that long ago, so we just felt there was a good synchronous thing going on-reintroduce something that folks that were there originally will understand and younger people today will understand. And lets bring back the cool factor of the picture sleeve, which was in almost every case was different from the album cover.

Why not release them all at once?

We want to market these. If you put a whole lot of them in the store in one shot, then they all sit there. They'll have their promotion period, and some of them will get featured, but then they just sit in the store. To me it's more interesting to market them each month and create a program around them and have something new to talk about every month. The other thing is that there's a lot of research that goes into them. It's not as simple as an album we have in the store already. In many cases we have to find the artwork; we have to get the A- and B-side from the label. And sometimes with the non-album B-sides we have to get the audio source. I think a lot of people misunderstand the digital business. It's a lot more complicated than just sending them the digital file.

More so than other labels, Rhino must be particularly interested in producing digital bundles like this. Where are we do you think in the evolution of that as a merchandizing strategy?

You have a single track people are interested in and a greatest hits people are interested in. But there are going to be customers maybe interested in something in the middle. We look at this as the evolution of satisfying all the different consumers in the world. It's my goal to eventually address all of those different holes that exist out there where you could put a product. You have a single track. Now you have a 45 equivalent. You've got a single album, double album, boxset. We want to find ways to address all those different consumers.

A few years ago you tried a different bundle strategy called the Hi5. How did that effort go and what did you learn?

With the Hi5, it was early days. When we went out with that, the business itself was so nascent that you really couldn't look at whether that was successful or not. Now that it's evolved, we see our Hi5s come up in promotional picks from the retailers, they actually feature them. We've seen our sales increase on them, and we think the digital 45s are entering at a time where the business is far more mature. But the digital business overall is only five years old. When you think about any format, it generally takes longer than five years before you have true ubiquitous penetration across all consumers. So this is more experimentation on our part to see how the business is growing.

What did you learn from the Hi5 effort?

There are some artists that just sell a little bit better, and it's not the usual suspects. You'd think it would be the bigger artists. But what we found were that the Hi5s work well for artists that don't have 15 tracks for a greatest hits collection, but they have four or five. Other artists that have a really deep catalog of amazing material, like an Aretha Franklin, I think most people are willing to go to the 15-track investment because they know there are so many great songs it's worth the bigger investment. The digital world is about flexibility, so I love that with an artist like Aretha, we can put a single track out there, a digital 45, a Hi5, a single album, greatest hits, and a box set and there's a customer for all of those. You can't do that anymore in the physical world.

It seems ironic though that even though this is the case, so few labels put out digital material in formats other than the single and the album. Why is that?

I think technology plays a role. There are not that many digital retailers out there that are capable of doing tricky bells-and-whistles type stuff. That's more a matter of time than desire. I believe all the digital retailers would like to create the most compelling experience possible. Apple has a certain advantage in this case. I can only speak for Rhino and that this is something we spend a lot of time thinking about. How do we make the digital world as compelling or more compelling than what we've done in the physical world previously? I would only say wait and see some of the stuff coming down the line in the not too distant future. It's an evolution.

But as you mention, you're limited to offering what the retailers are capable of selling. What types of features would you like to see digital retailers adopt to make bundling non-traditional formats possible?

It would be great of all of our retail partners at some point would be able to include all of the elements we're currently delivering. If we could have parity on audio tracks, video, booklets or some sort of additional experience. That would be the start.

So as you go about all this, what's the driving goal? Is it plain marketing, or is it a music discovery effort, a merchandizing play?

The way Rhino looks at it is that while we're music historians in some respects we're also music fans and music consumers ourselves. When we think about the digital world and the endless shelf-space concept, it comes back to believing that whatever product we put out we truly believe there's an audience for it. We're not just trying to empty out our vaults or library of available assets and just throw them into a store. We actually look at this as a line of products no differently than we look at greatest hits as a line of products. In the digital world you can do a lot of things that you can't do physically. So we don't look at this as a quick in and out. That's the reason why we're not just dumping 500 of them into the marketplace in one shot. This is a line, and if this takes off the way we hope it will, we plan on putting a new set of 25-30 of these every month, and letting people know about it.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version