Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "I’m on Fire" - Dwight Twilley Band Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 May 2009 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The actual commercial 45 run time of Dwight Twilley Band's "I'm on Fire" is 3:08. (Timing info compliments of Jim. The printed record label time is 3:09.) At present, only one database CD runs within :01 the correct 45 length. All other discs run at least :05 too long.

"I'm on Fire" didn't appear on an LP until Twilley released his first one on the Shelter label a year later. Does anyone have the LP run time? I suspect it might run a little longer than the 45.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Todd, I know you'll keep us posted if it's a length or speed issue.

If possible, hopefully someone can post proper beginning/ending fade points if it turns out to be length.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2009 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

The Sincerely LP both states and runs 3:15 for "I'm On Fire." Both the 45 and LP fades begin at the same point, but the 45 beats a more hasty retreat. The 45 runs a negligible amount faster than the LP.

As I recall, there was some turmoil at Shelter Records during that period, which may have torpedoed the chances for "I'm On Fire"'s gorgeous follow-up 45, "You Were So Warm." While both singles had been distributed by MCA, by the time the LP finally emerged, Shelter had inked a distribution deal with ABC.

BTW, on the Sincerely vinyl LP, "You Were So Warm" was very heavily compressed.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2009 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:

As I recall, there was some turmoil at Shelter Records during that period, which may have torpedoed the chances for "I'm On Fire"'s gorgeous follow-up 45, "You Were So Warm." While both singles had been distributed by MCA, by the time the LP finally emerged, Shelter had inked a distribution deal with ABC.

Wasn't there some issue around '71 or '72 with Shelter using an "S" in an egg that looked very similar to Superman's "S"? I have a JJ Cale 45 where a square was printed over the "S", it wasn't long before they just had a drawn "S" inside the egg. I think this was when the label was distributed by Capitol.

Quote:
BTW, on the Sincerely vinyl LP, "You Were So Warm" was very heavily compressed.

I don't have the LP but the single of IOF is pretty compressed too.

Edited by Hykker on 02 May 2009 at 6:38pm
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2009 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hykker wrote:
Wasn't there some issue around '71 or '72 with Shelter using an "S" in an egg that looked very similar to Superman's "S"? I have a JJ Cale 45 where a square was printed over the "S", it wasn't long before they just had a drawn "S" inside the egg. I think this was when the label was distributed by Capitol.

They must have thought that by flipping the logo, it would pass legal muster. BZZT! The black slash through the Superman-on-egg logo was a pretty low-budget solution. When the black ink ran a bit on the lighter side, the effect was more akin to a sheer négligée that didn't hide much. That same red-label, Superman-on-egg logo had also been used during Shelter's pre-Capitol distribution deal with Blue Thumb. The Superman logo finally disappeared when the distribution shifted from Capitol to MCA. Talk about musical chairs...

Hykker wrote:
I don't have the LP but the single of IOF is pretty compressed too.

I never felt that the "I'm On Fire" 45 was heavily compressed. There's a touch more compression on the LP track, but the considerable compression added to "You Were So Warm" on the LP was in stark contrast to the open, airy 45.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2009 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Yah Shure wrote:
The Sincerely LP both states and runs 3:15 for "I'm On Fire." Both the 45 and LP fades begin at the same point, but the 45 beats a more hasty retreat. The 45 runs a negligible amount faster than the LP.

Thanks, Yah Shure. It's always very much appreciated whenever we can get info about an LP run time. So it can be concluded then that all database CDs containing "I'm on Fire" are worthy of an "LP length" comment, except for the Classic Rock disc (Warner Special Products 27616) which would warrant a "45 length" comment.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2023 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

The wiki page states that the LP and single mix are different for this track*.
Does anyone have the original LP can compare? Yah Shure! Also, the 1993 CD
"The Great Lost Twilley Album" states "Original Mix" for the track. It IS
different from the single, but is it the LP mix?

*I wanted to add that I have indeed read stuff on wikipedia that is incorrect. In
this case, the author has no reference for the statement, and I can find nothing
else anywhere to support the statement. I rely on our group and an actual
listen to the actual source for proof.

Edited by davidclark on 30 March 2023 at 7:52pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2023 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Just some compilation mastering info to pass along.

The song first appeared on CD on Warner Special Products' Classic Rock (1987). It runs 3:10 here, and sounds dreadful, with no high end at all. I suspect a very high-generation source tape. To my ears, the mix sounds like the other mixes from later CDs.

There was a new analog transfer on Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 15 (1990), where it runs 3:15, and extends about 10 beats further than the version on Classic Rock. It's clearly from better source tapes here, and the EQ is extremely bright. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Rhino's promo Have A Nice Day Sampler (PRO2 90056; 1990) - digitally identical
  • Rhino's Poptopia! The '70s (1997) - digitally exactly 1.191 dB quieter
There was another new analog transfer on Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 16 1975 Take Two (1991), which also runs 3:15 but sounds pretty muffled compared to Have A Nice Day. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Priority's Seventies Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 4 Southern Comfort (1991) - mastered too loud and clips a lot
  • Time-Life's Guitar Rock Vol. 1 1974-1975 RE-1 (1993) - digitally exactly 0.9 dB louder
Finally, there's a new analog transfer on EMI's Lost Hits Of The '70s (1997), which runs 3:14. The EQ is reasonable, but it's mastered too loud and clips a lot.

I prefer Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 15 (1990), but I like a lot of high end in my EQ. Your results may vary.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version