Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: asia--only time will tell Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 November 2004 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

does anyone know where i can find the 45 version (4:05) of asia "only time will tell"....the only version i can find is the lp version which runs 4:44 in length....

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Sorry to bump a three-year-old question, but I'm kinda curious myself (heard the LP version on the radio today, and I'm trying to recall the 45 in my head and getting nowhere).

Has any one of our editors tried to construct the 45 from the LP? Can it even be done?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

Yes, the 45 is an edit and can be reconstructed from the LP version. I'll try to check my edit when I get home tonight to jog my memory on how it was done.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

There are actually two 45 versions of this - a DJ edit and a commercial edit. When Billboard reviewed this song, they listed it as 3:23. The 45s were all 4:05. I only heard the 3:23 version a few times - including at least once on "American Top 40".

I was lucky enough to find a promo 45 of this several years ago with both edits. I haven't timed them to see if the timings are correct, but they must be pretty close.
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Torcan:

If you might be able to determine the edits for this song...please share. I am very interested in recreating the DJ versions.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

I checked my recreation of the commercial 45 edit and, unfortunately, the edits are too complex to describe. It's not that they are difficult; a couple of them occur in awkward places that you would think were incorrect if not using the 45 as a guide.

If anyone is interested in a mp3 of my reconstruction of the commercial 45, just PM me.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

eriejwg wrote:
Torcan:

If you might be able to determine the edits for this song...please share. I am very interested in recreating the DJ versions.

I don't have these fancy computer programs it sounds like most of you do, and I'm still more of a vinyl collector, but I'll do my best to describe the edits.

Everything's the same as the LP version up to the end of the first chorus. After he says "...tide me over", edit out the instrumental and go right to "Only time will tell...".

The verse, instrumental and "Now, sure as the sun..." are all intact.

After the next "...tide me over", edit out the next instrumental passage and go right to "You're leaving now".

After "...planned it all along", edit to "You're on your own, inside your room" to fade.

That's the 3:23 edit. I never really liked the 4:05 edit because there's a part near the end of the song where you can actually hear the edit. When the song wasa a hit, I always heard the full LP version on the stations I listened to.

Also, I know that the third single "Soul Survivor" wasn't a top 40 hit, but my US 45 has a listed run time of 3:35. I'm sure I saw a 4:48 version one time (it might have been the Canadian 45), does anyone know if there were two 45s for that?

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2007 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks Torcan,

Based on your description, the end product in Audition came out to 3:22. Pretty darn close, eh? :)
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2007 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

The short side of my DJ 45 has both a listed and actual time of (3:23), while the long side version (which is the same as the commercial 45, and was also an LP edit, as indicated above) has a listed time of (4:05) and an actual time of (4:04).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 August 2007 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

2 out of the 3 edits I made were a hair off. But, darn close to the original. :)

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 August 2007 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

So, Ian (I can call him that :) ), are you saying that the DJ 45 does not have the edit at roughly eight seconds in on the commercial 45?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 August 2007 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

sriv94 wrote:
So, Ian (I can call him that :) ), are you saying that the DJ 45 does not have the edit at roughly eight seconds in on the commercial 45?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The instrumental intro is edited on the 4:05 version, but not on the 3:23 version.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2013 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

My first choice for the LP version is Then And Now (1990), which I find to be a little cleaner-sounding than the Asia CD.

Promo 45 edit

The promo 45 edit is quite unfortunate, in that it edits out the dramatic drum fill/guitar break sequences before the choruses. That completely ruins the song for me. Opinions aside, I reverse-engineered Aaron's recreation of the promo 45 edit. Using the LP version on Then And Now as my source, here are the editing instructions:

Segment 1:
Extends from 0:00 to 1:32.5 of both the promo 45 edit and the LP version
This segment ends on a downbeat at the end of a two-beat snare drum fill.

Remove the 24 beats of the LP version from 1:32.5 to 1:44.3. This edited-out segment includes one of the great pre-chorus transitions I mentioned above. The transition between segments 1 and 2 sounds really goofy, but that's what was on the record.

Segment 2:
Extends from 1:32.5 to 2:28.4 of the promo 45 edit
Extends from 1:44.3 to 2:40.2 of the LP version
This segment starts on a downbeat at the beginning of the word "only", amd also ends on a downbeat at the end of a two-beat snare drum fill.

Remove the 32 beats of the LP version from 2:40.2 to 2:56.1.

Segment 3:
Extends from 2:28.4 to 2:54.2 of the promo 45 edit
Extends from 2:56.1 to 3:21.9 of the LP version
This segment starts on a downbeat/crash cymbal, and ends on a snare hit right before the words "I see".

Remove the ? beats (sorry - my counter died) of the LP version from 3:21.9 to 4:15.2. This edited-out segment includes the other great pre-chorus transition I mentioned above.

Segment 4:
Extends from 2:54.2 to 3:26.5 (end) of the promo 45 edit
Extends from 4:15.2 to 4:47.6 (end) of the LP version
This segment starts on a snare hit on the words "you're on", and fades with the same fade that's on the LP version.

Your mixdown will run 3:24 without the outro silence, 3:26.5 with the outro silence, with edits at 1:32.5, 2:28.4, and 2:54.2.

Commercial 45 edit

A more clever and more elaborate edit than the promo 45, with a neat trick to shorten the intro, and an out-of-sequence edit near the end that keeps one of the dramatic pre-chorus transitions. This must have taken a while to assemble with splice tape, back in '82.

Segment 1:
Extends from 0:00 to 0:07.8 of both the commercial 45 edit and the LP version
This segment ends after three quick tom-tom hits, on a upbeat.

Remove the 16 beats of the LP version from 0:07.8 to 0:15.9. If you get the timing right, the transitions between segments 1 and 2 sound quite natural, which is very surprising to me.

Segment 2:
Extends from 0:07.8 to 0:18.5 of the commercial 45 edit
Extends from 0:15.8 to 0:26.6 of the LP version
This segment starts with two big tom-tom hits and shorten the long synth note; there's no beat to guide your edit.

Remove what would be 4 beats (if there was a beat behind this portion) of the LP version from 0:26.6 to 0:28.5.

Segment 3:
Extends from 0:18.5 to 1:26.3 of the commercial 45 edit
Extends from 0:28.5 to 1:36.4 of the LP version
This segment starts with a downbeat, and ends with 8 on-beat bass drum hits. If there were a 9th on-beat bass drum hit, it would go right at the end of this segment.

Remove the 16 beats of the LP version from 1:36.4 to 1:44.3. This removed portion is the first dramatic pre-chorus transition.

Segment 4:
Extends from 1:26.3 to 2:53.0 of the commercial 45 version
Extends from 1:44.3 to 3:11.0 of the LP version
This segment starts with a downbeat on the word "only", and ends with a snare hit right after the word "it".

Remove the 48 beats of the LP version from 3:11.0 to 3:33.7. This removed portion starts with the word "really" and ends with the word "and". Lyrically, this poses a problem, which I'll note below.

Segment 5:
Extends from 2:53.0 to 3:24.4 of the commercial 45 version
Extends from 3:33.7 to 4:05.1 of the LP version
This segment starts with a downbeat on the word "me", making the lyric line that extends between segments 4 and 5: "It me all starry-eyed." I doubt that many have noticed this in the 31 years since the 45 was released. This segment ends with, and includes, the extremely short drum fill that goes into what would be the second dramatic pre-chorus transition.

Now, there's an out-of-sequence edit to remove the second dramatic pre-chorus, and replace it with the first dramatic pre-chorus. The first one has a cool guitar line over it; I think it was a good choice.

Segment 6:
Extends from 3:24.4 to 3:32.3 of the commercial 45 version
Extends from 1:36.4 to 1:44.3 of the LP version (this is the portion that was cut out between segments 3 and 4)
This segment replaces the 8 beats from 4:05.1 to 4:12.8 of the LP version.

Segment 7:
Extends from 3:32.3 to 4:07.1 (end) of the commercial 45 version
Extends from 4:12.8 to 4:47.6 (end) of the LP version
This segment starts with a downbeat on the word "only".

If you survived all this, your mixdown will run 4:04 without the outro silence, 4:07.1 with the outro silence, with edits at 0:07.8, 0:18.5, 1:26.3, 2:53.0, 3:24.4 and 3:32.3.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 01 November 2013 at 9:11am

promojunkie
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2021 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote promojunkie

thank you crapfromthepast. Your editing instructions
were on point!

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 June 2021 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Glad the instructions were helpful, nearly 8 years later!

I like to think that most of the info on this site will be helpful long after we've posted it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version