Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Black Magic Woman" - Santana Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 March 2009 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The actual commercial 45 run time of Santana's "Black Magic Woman" is 3:17. (Time info compliments of Jim. The printed record label time is 3:16.) The only reason I post this is because database CD appearances containing a "45 version" comment run from 3:13-3:18.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2014 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the commercial 45 starts out with the introduction in the
left channel and the 'greatest hits' cd as columbia 33050
has the intro in the right channel.....

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2014 at 3:37am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

further, there are several CDs in that feature a remix, one (that I own)
being "Sounds Of The Seventies 1970" (Time-Life).

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 January 2019 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Finally got this one figured out!

LP version (medley of "Black Magic Woman" and "Gypsy Queen") (about 5:16)

The intro fades in, with the previous selection fading out over the intro. The intro keyboard part fades in in the left channel. The mix is very wide stereo, with some of the percussion panned hard left and other percussion panned hard right. The song begins to fade with about 10 seconds remaining, then increases in volume to a cold ending.

It's on Abraxas and not much else, due to the previous selection tracking over the intro.

45 version (3:17)

The 45 intro fades in, much like the LP version, with the keyboard part in the left channel. The 45 is stereo. I think I may hear the LP's previous song track over the 45 intro, but it's hard to tell. The 45 is the same mix as the LP, and I would think that you should be able to edit the 45 down from the LP version (haven't confirmed).

I have the 45 on a bunch of unrelated CDs:
  • Columbia's Santana Greatest Hits (copyright 1974) - left and right channels reversed
  • Sessions/Warner Special Products' 2-CD Freedom Rock (1987) - left and right channels reversed
  • Silver Eagle/MCA's 3-CD Shades Of Love (1989) - left and right channels reversed
  • Silver Eagle/Capitol's 2-CD Woodstock Rock (1989) - runs a little slow
  • Sony's Rock N' 70's (1993) - same analog transfer as GH, so left and right channels reversed
  • Columbia/Epic/Legacy's 2-CD Rock The Train Kept A Rollin' (1999)
My recommendation: Either flip the left and right channels on Columbia's Santana Greatest Hits (copyright 1974), or just use Columbia/Epic/Legacy's 2-CD Rock The Train Kept A Rollin' (1999).

1988 remix of LP version (medley of "Black Magic Woman" and "Gypsy Queen") (about 5:23)

The medley was one of four tracks remixed for CBS' Santana compilation Viva Santana! (1988).

Overall, the remix pushes a lot of the percussion more toward the center of the soundstage, so that it sounds a lot better in headphones. Importantly, the remix separates the intro keyboard from the previous selection, so that the keyboard starts at full volume without any tracking from the previous selection on Abraxas. The remix also has a proper fade, which extends farther than the cold ending of the original LP version.

You can immediately spot the remix from the opening notes. If the keyboard part fades in in one channel (the left channel, if all is proper), then it's the original LP mix. If the keyboard part starts at full volume and is only gently panned (also to the left, if all is proper), then it's the 1988 remix.

I have the 1988 remix of the LP version on Columbia's Rock Classics Of The '70s (1989), where it runs 5:20 and sounds just fine. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Guitar Rock Monsters (1992) - left and right channels reversed
  • Time-Life's Guitar Rock Vol. 6 1970-1971 (1994)
I suppose the best source for the 1988 remix of the LP version is likely Viva Santana! (1988), but I don't have that disc to compare.

1988 remix edited to match the 45 (about 3:17)

This has the same intro as the 1988 remix of the LP version: the keyboard part starts at full volume and is gently panned to the left. There's no trace of the previous selection from Abraxas over the intro.

I think (but can't confirm) that the 1988 remix was edited originally for Rhino's Billboard Top R&R Hits 1971 (1989). The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Mystic Music/Cema's 2-CD Bell Bottom Rock (1996)
There's a different analog transfer of the edited 1988 remix on Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 1 1970 (1989), where it runs just a few seconds shorter. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Gold And Platinum Vol. 1 (1997) - digitally identical
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Classic Soft Rock Vol. 9 Cool Night (2007)
If you want the 1988 remix edited to match the 45, go with Rhino's Billboard Top R&R Hits 1971 (1989).

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

And just a bit extra, there is a quad mix of "Black Magic
Woman/Gypsy Queen" that is on the Quad edition of "Abraxas". I
have only a stereo dub of it (since I've never had a quad set-up),
but the mix is quite different, with music going from side to side!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version