Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Black Box - Strike It Up Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 January 2019 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ron S wrote:
Got it! The video version has 3 edits. My copy runs 3:25 with 2 seconds of
air...I could delete it and get the 3:23 from the video. The edits are really easy.

Which source did you start with? The 4:58 version on Amazon (the new digital LP version) cannot be used as the only source to create the video edit. You can come very close, but the fade out is different between the two. For the video edit, they used the segment of the Original Remix that occurs between 4:27 and 4:43. The 4:58 digital LP version uses the actual fade out of the Original Remix, which is the segment from 5:40 to the end of the song at 5:57.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Ron S
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2019 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Ron S

aaronk wrote:
Ron S wrote:
Got it! The video version has 3 edits.
My copy runs 3:25 with 2 seconds of
air...I could delete it and get the 3:23 from the video. The edits are really
easy.

Which source did you start with? The 4:58 version on Amazon (the new
digital LP version) cannot be used as the only source to create the video
edit. You can come very close, but the fade out is different between the
two. For the video edit, they used the segment of the Original Remix that
occurs between 4:27 and 4:43. The 4:58 digital LP version uses the actual
fade out of the Original Remix, which is the segment from 5:40 to the end
of the song at 5:57.

Yes, I used the version on Amazon for it. I thought for sure I had it correct.
Thanks for the correction...
Back to Top View Ron S's Profile Search for other posts by Ron S

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 03 March 2019 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

How is your restoration of the Video Version single going Ron S?
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 May 2019 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

Hey guys,

I read some of the replies, but I would admit that I did not read all four pages - much too heavy!

Black Box founded their own label Groove Groove Melody in Italy. All of their Italian releases were released via Discomagic. They were signed to different labels around the world, but deconstruction / RCA Records signed them to the biggest markets: The U.K., the U.S., all of the Americas, Japan, and Oceania. They were signed to Polydor Records in certain European territories (including Germany) and Airplay Records in France.

Black Box's single versions varied somewhat, depending on the which label released them. For the most part, all releases on deconstruction / RCA were pretty much the same.

Black Box's singles outside the U.S. were: Ride On Time; I Don't Know Anybody Else; Everybody Everybody; Fantasy; The Total Mix; Strike It Up; Open Your Eyes.

In the U.S.: I Don't Know Anybody Else; Everybody Everybody; Strike It Up; Fantasy; Ride On Time; Open Your Eyes.

Without a question, the official single version of "Strike It Up" is the 'DJ Lelewel Radio Mix', clocking at 3:25: this is the mix utilized on the official music video. This mix was remixed by Daniele "DJ Lelewel' Davoli (one third of Black Box). This mix is similar to the 'Le Freak Mix' of "Everybody Everybody". For the remix, the song was completely redone and it also featured a brand-new rap, written and performed by Stepz. Black Box did this so they wouldn't have to pay royalties to the copyright holders of "My House". The rap verse found on the 'LP Version' originally included an unauthorized sample of Nelson "FFWD" Cruz feat. Oscar Pabone's "My House". The unauthorized samples were later cleared and remain on all copies of "Dreamland".

For whatever reason, RCA Records U.S. hired Eric "Moe" Rosenberg to edit the 'DJ Lelewel Radio Mix' (3:25). His mix became known in the U.S. as the 'Radio Mix'. All he did was edit the mix down to 3:06. That's it. Talk about useless. Nevermind that RCA Records still serviced the music video that featured the DJ Lelewel Radio Mix (3:25). Regardless, this is the hit single version.

That being said, I noticed that by 1992, 1993, all radio stations that originally played the single version were playing the LP Version... my guess is that it was the only version they could find, after they got rid of their promo CDs.

But here's the weirdest thing yet: The DJ Lelewel Mix has yet to appear on a Black Box album / compilation. There have been a million different Black Box compilations released around the world: NONE of them include the DJ Lelewel Mix. That is mind boggling! In order to get the mix, you HAVE to buy the U.K. CD Maxi Single. I truly believe that is the reason why most people have forgotten about the DJ Lelewel Mix: It's as if it has been erased form history.

The remix that is widely available is the one dubbed "Original Remix": I believe it's called as such because, music wise, it's the same mix as the 'LP Version" (hence 'Original') except that it replaces the sampled Oscar Pabone rap with the brand-new rap verse by Stepz from the remix (hence 'Remix').

Believe me, this is the ORIGINAL music video, set to the DJ Lelewel Radio Mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CemlrKvnUpI

All the other music videos that you find online have simply being redubbed, they are NOT the original music video.

And here's their Top Of The Pops performance... same mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW2pSD-uiYU

Edited by Loveland on 14 May 2019 at 9:09pm
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 May 2019 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The "Radio Mix" (aka edit of DJ Lelewel Radio Mix) is definitely the version that appears on the US cassette single and is considered to be the official single version here (in the US). The odd thing is that I never once in my entire life heard this version on any radio station, and others have said the same thing. The only versions that I'm 100% positive were played on the air are the LP Version and the Original Remix Radio Edit.

I'd still love to know where the video edit of the Original Remix comes from. It seems like this is a legit edit and not dubbed over or fan-made.

Edited by aaronk on 14 May 2019 at 10:03pm

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote Loveland

aaronk wrote:
The "Radio Mix" (aka edit of DJ Lelewel Radio Mix) is definitely the version that appears on the US cassette single and is considered to be the official single version here (in the US). The odd thing is that I never once in my entire life heard this version on any radio station, and others have said the same thing. The only versions that I'm 100% positive were played on the air are the LP Version and the Original Remix Radio Edit.

I'd still love to know where the video edit of the Original Remix comes from. It seems like this is a legit edit and not dubbed over or fan-made.

Which town did you leave in at the time? The nation's biggest markets definitely played the single version: Miami, New York, L.A., Chicago... MTV and VH-1 played the official music video. I was surprised back then that VH1 was playing Black Box and C+C Music Factory.

Obviously, we'll never know 100%, but I'm 99.9% sure that all the videos are fan-made video re-edits.

Speaking of, I received a PM from "smallworld", and I hope it's OK with him if I respond here, as I wanted to share my answer:

Apparently the first video I provided is restricted in some territories. Try this one, this is the official video, the quality isn't great and the first few seconds are missing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_eZCtKNVcE

The DJ Lelewel Radio Mix is easily recognizable: It starts with Martha Wash singing 'Ooooh Ooooh Ooooh Ooooh...", and an organ is featured predominantly throughout the song; the tempo is slower and very similar to the Le Freak Mix of Everybody Everybody.

The second video, their TOTP performance, has been blocked by YouTube.

smallword sent me two links, the second one is simply a live performance by Martha Wash. But the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8EqewfCxA

That one hurts. That comes the closest, but sadly that is re-dub made by Black Box themselves. That is set to the DJ Lelewel 2018 Revamp. Ov vey! I hope the first link works for you.

This is a contemporary review of their "Mixed Up!" album:

Quote:

Mixed Up! is comprised of remixes of songs which originally appeared on Black Box's 1990 landmark album Dreamland, arguably one of the finest dance albums of the decade. The remixes on this set are almost as much fun as the originals. The album begins with an acid house mix of "Strike It Up," which is followed by a brassy, funky mix of "Ride on Time," before heading into the fantastic, full-length "Le Freak Mix" of "Everybody Everybody" (a single edit was the version found on Dreamland). "Mirko's Mix" of "Open Your Eyes" is a rocking, funky, low-down version complete with saxophone, and the sparse extended mix of "Fantasy" incorporates a flute for the intro and the breakdown. Also included is a ballad version of "Everybody Everybody," which works surprisingly well, a deep house mix of "I Don't Know Anybody Else," and more jumbled mix of "Ride on Time" (the "Massive Mix"). For those who loved Dreamland, this album is definite fun. The only complaint is that the "DJ Lewellel" mix of "Strike It Up," which was the version used in the video and issued as a single, is not included, and neither is the original version of "Everybody Everybody," which was not on Dreamland. Finally, the album ends with the new song "Get Down," which is another irresistibly low-down, funky Italo-house jam, filled with piano, rap, and samples of Martha Wash's wailing voice (she is, incidentally, credited as the vocalist on this album).

I'm Black Box biggest stan. Ha ha. If you have any questions about all of their other singles, feel free to ask me. :)

Edited by Loveland on 15 May 2019 at 7:30am

smallworld
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote smallworld

aaronk wrote:

Loveland wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8EqewfCxA

That one hurts. That comes the closet, but sadly that is re-dub made by Black Box themselves. That is set to the DJ Lelewel 2018 Revamp.

The Original Remix Edit video is an upload on the same YouTube channel ("BlackBoxHouse") as the Revamp Edit video. The Facebook page of the same name claims to be official. It wouldn't surprise me if the Origial Remix Edit video was put together by Black Box themselves.

The videos that are blocked for me have been done so on the request of INgrooves, which is apparently based out of San Francisco. Perhaps the re-edit videos have been done for territories where the true mix edit is blocked.

Edited by smallworld on 15 May 2019 at 7:49am
Back to Top View smallworld's Profile Search for other posts by smallworld

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Loveland

smallworld wrote:
The Original Remix Edit video is an upload on the same YouTube channel ("BlackBoxHouse")as the Revamp Edit video. The Facebook page of the same name claims to be official. It wouldn't surprise me if the Origial Remix Edit video was put together by Black Box themselves.

The videos that are blocked for me have been done so on the request of INgrooves, which is apparently based out of San Francisco. Perhaps the re-edit videos have been done for territories where the true mix edit is blocked.

Yes, Black Box has re-edited all of their videos themselves. The worst offender is the one for Ride On Time.

Edited by Loveland on 15 May 2019 at 7:41am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

If the "original remix" video edit was re-edited years later, I have to say it's a really well done edit and better than the "Original Remix Radio Edit" that appears on the promo CD.

The thing that is odd is how more than one person has said they remember hearing this edit back in the day on CHR radio.

I lived in a small town in northern Michigan when the song was a hit, and I wasn't anywhere near the major markets. TM Century never serviced the "Radio Mix." They only serviced the "Original Remix Radio Edit." I know it's a lot of pages to sift through, but mainrhythm, Mark Mathews, Frank (musicmanatl), Todd Ireland, PopArchivist (who listened to NYC radio), Ron S, and prisdeej, ALL said that they heard a mix/edit similar to the LP version or Original Remix and not the "Radio Mix." In fact, you're the first person who has said that you recall hearing the "Radio Mix" in several US markets. That's eight of us who never recall hearing the "Radio Mix," which leads me to believe that markets airing this mix were likely in the minority.

mainrhythm also said "I listened to both promos and I always remember my station playing a version with a long intro. The Lp version sounds the most like it but the rap from the Original Remix sounds more familiar. So maybe they cued in the Original Remix. But I know they didn't play the Original Remix Radio Edit."

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote Loveland

aaronk wrote:
That's eight of us who never recall hearing the "Radio Mix," which leads me to believe that markets airing this mix were likely in the minority.

Aaron, are you familiar with The Mandela Effect? I truly believe this is what's happening here.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Loveland wrote:
aaronk wrote:
That's eight of us who never recall hearing the "Radio Mix," which leads me to believe that markets airing this mix were likely in the minority.

Aaron, are you familiar with The Mandela Effect? I truly believe this is what's happening here.

Perhaps, but I can say that personally I had never heard the DJ Lelewel remix (including the "Radio Mix") at all until the mid-2000s when I started collecting more extensively. That mix was completely unfamiliar to me.

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

Hi all,

Not that I want to ruffle the feathers of any board member, I read more than I post because I have health issues which limit me from being active.
In 1990 Providence was a 2 Top 40 market.   WPRO-FM & WWKX. WFHN on the fringe in New Bedford.   

Around 1998-2000 WFHN was still a heavy recurrent station, spinning cuts from the prior 10 years. Around that time I heard them spin the "Original Remix Radio Edit", and something jumped at me
which felt very strange -- that intro. It just sounded wrong, it really changed the feeling of which I heard a number of times on the other two stations.

I heard the Video Edit more than once on WWKX between 1995-1997 and quite possibly on WPRO-FM as well. Wish I kept in contact with those folks, I'd ask them to pull the CD.
Hope this helps.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version