Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: hall & oates "kiss on my list" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 October 2005 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

did we ever determine if the correct remix version of the 45 was ever issued on cd........does the billboard cd top hits of 1981 contain the correct version.....rhino is usually pretty good about getting the correct "hit" versions on these cds.......

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2005 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I don't think it does. The Rhino CD uses a slightly different edit (there's a distinct edit in the guitar solo on the 45 that's not used on the Rhino CD--the edit on that CD is too smooth). I don't have any of the other CDs with the 45 version on it to check, though.

Doug
Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 October 2005 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I spent a great deal of time editing the Hall & Oates hits to match the 45s; however, I used the Billboard Top Hits 1981 as the source for "Kiss On My List." It seems to me that I checked the 45 with this disc and Rhino has the correct edit. I am not aware of it being a different mix, although the "UK Mix" appeared on a Japanese 12" Mix CD. It was just over three minutes and had a different drum track and was mixed slightly different.

As for the Billboard disc, I'll have to check again to be sure, because I thought it was correct. Doug, where is the edit different?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 October 2005 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Check your E-mail, Aaron, if you haven't already. I tried to do a side by side comparison that I couldn't do justice to by trying to explain it here.

Edited by sriv94 on 23 October 2005 at 7:46am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 October 2005 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

By golly, Doug, you're right! Thanks to Edtop40 who just e-mailed me a dub of his 45, it can be concluded that the version on Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1981 cd is NOT the correct 45 version. They made an error in editing the guitar solo.

Now, the next question is which CD can the correct 45 version be found on, or is this another one that has never appeared in its correct version on cd?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2005 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Always happy to help. As I said before, I don't have any of the other CDs that have an edited version (save for Rock & Soul, Part 1 which clearly isn't the 45 version [and was noted as such in Pat's database]). So I can't answer the next question.

The editing error is very subtle, but it is indeed an error. Luckily, the 45 is relatively easy to edit from the LP version (and Rhino only made the one editing error in the guitar solo, otherwise the 45 version is correct).

Edited by sriv94 on 24 October 2005 at 8:03pm

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2005 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

you guys are great........let's see if we can RE-create the 45 version with a computer program.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 October 2005 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

By the way, I made a mistake earlier in my post. The "UK Mix" is of "Private Eyes" not "Kiss On My List." To my knowledge, there was only one mix of that song (the LP mix) and an edit of the mix to make the 45 version.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 October 2005 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I guess I should post this for the record (pun fully intended), just in case anyone's interested.

In trying to decipher whether the Rhino edit was the correct one, edtop40 E-mailed Aaron and me his 45 copy. I then loaded Ed's 45, my Rhino 1981 CD version and the LP version (which I took from the Class Reunion 1981 compilation CD) into WavePad. The Rhino CD made all of the edits correctly with one exception--details now follow:

On the LP version, the instrumental break starts at (2:56.44)--while Hall is holding the note on the word "light." On the 45, the same break starts at (2:36.93); on the Rhino CD, it's (2:37.14--close enough). I'll now quote the LP times the rest of the way. The break for the 45 and LP runs the same until (3:06.06)--the 45 then cuts to the guitar note at roughly (3:21.90). Now applying the times for the break between the LP version and my Rhino version--the break runs the same until (3:05.46), then my Rhino version cuts to (3:21.21). It is very subtle, but the edit is not exactly the same.

I say "my" Rhino in the (unlikely) event that Rhino came out with a different pressing of this CD. But that's how I came up with my theory. Hope y'all enjoyed it.

Edited by sriv94 on 25 October 2005 at 7:38am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 October 2005 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Since it's been determined the true 45 edit of "Kiss on My List" evidently does not appear on the Billboard Top Pop Hits 1981 CD, I'd say this situation warrants the comment: (edit of the LP version in an unsuccessful attempt at recreating the 45 version).
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2008 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Wanted to revive this thread. The correct 45 version is on
Playlist: The Very Best Of Daryl Hall & John Oates.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2008 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Hey guys, I am utterly lost in sriv94's explanation of the difference between the wrong and right single edits of "Kiss on My List", although I appreciate his detailed effort in explaining it. Part of the problem may be that he's quoting "LP times the rest of the way" but I'm looking at two 45 versions. Basically, I have the the Rhino (wrong) edit and the "Playlist" (right) edit in my computer and I'm trying to hear the difference but I don't even know the spot to listen for. With someone who has the 45 version and Rhino almost-45 version - can you tell me where exactly there is a wrong guitar part?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2008 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Sorry for the confusion, Gordon.

If you listen to both the wrong and the right 45 versions at about (3:06), you should hear the difference.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2008 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks Doug. No prob. Sometimes these things are hard to describe. Now that I know the spot in question is at 3:06 on the single versions, I just listened closely ...

and I still can't hear any difference there :) I usually have good ears for noticing these things, or at least hearing them when the exact spots are pointed out to me. But in this case, I can't. I assume you're talking about it being somewhere on the line "of the best things in life". Maybe if you pinpoint which of those words has a different guitar part underneath, I would know.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Sorry, I screwed up just now. Listen around (2:45). It's in the instrumental break.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2008 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Now you can see why I was confused, if you were confused :)
OK I just listened and at 2:46 I think I hear the difference. It's the lead guitar part - there's 2 pickup notes on the correct edit, and just one pickup note on the Rhino version. Is that right? It's really hard to pinpoint what's going on there, but that's the best I can describe it.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2008 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Correct. And the Rhino edit actually has the wrong pickup note (they completely ignored the two pickup notes that were on the single and used the pickup from about (3:21.21) on the LP version to transition the edit).

Edited by sriv94 on 18 July 2008 at 7:59pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2008 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Interesting. I listened again. I see what you mean. It is a different take on the note, although it seems to me that both notes have the same pitch, just different performances of the note, and in the proper case, there are two pickup notes before the downbeat and not just one.

Well, I'm glad we got that spelled out - because even with the above comments from months ago, I never really knew exactly what the problem was with the Rhino edit.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 January 2014 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

So many permutations of this song!

The LP version, running about 4:24

Found on:
  • Voices (MFSL Japan UDCD 530, rel. 1990?)
  • Starting All Over Again (1997)
  • Simitar's Number Ones Smooth Love (1998, compressed and muddy-sounding - avoid)
  • Back To Back (with Rick Springfield songs) (1998; compressed - avoid)
  • Legendary (2002)
  • Ultimate (2004; a little loud but still sounds OK)
The true 45 edit, running about 3:48

Removes the drum machine intro, 32 beats from 2:26-2:42 of LP version (beginning and ending with snare hit on the word "your") and 32 beats from 3:06-3:22 of LP version from the guitar solo (if the first downbeat of the solo is beat number "1", then the edit is at the downbeat at beat number "17").

Appears on exactly one CD (that I know of):
  • Playlist (2006)
The Billboard Top Hits 1981 edit, running about 3:48

This was Bill Inglot's attempt to replicate the true 45 edit. The sound on the Billboard disc wassuperb, and he came very close, but ultimately there was one misplaced edit.

Removes the drum machine intro, 32 beats from 2:26-2:42 of LP version (beginning and ending with snare hit on the word "your") and 32 beats from 3:05-3:21 of LP version from the guitar solo (if the first downbeat of the solo is beat number "1", then the edit is at the snare at beat number "16" - this is the incorrect edit on the Rhino disc, and occurs exactly one beat earlier than on the true 45).

Appears on:
  • Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1981 (1992)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 8 1981 (1995; differently EQ'd digital clone of Billboard)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body Talk Vol. 11 After Dark (1997;differently EQ'd digital clone of Billboard)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 24 Everything '80s (2002; digitally identical to Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 8 1981)
The Greatest Hits Rock 'N Soul Part 1 edit, running about 3:52

Created in 1983 for the Greatest Hits LP; didn't exist in 1981

Removes 32 beats from 2:26-2:42 of LP version (beginning and ending with snare hit on the word "your") and 32 beats from 3:46-4:01 of LP version (also beginning and ending with snare hit on the word "your").

All three of these sound very good:
  • Greatest Hits Rock 'N Soul Part 1 (1983)
  • Looking Back (1991; Germany)
  • EMI's Rock 'N Roll Relix 1980-1981 (1998; differently EQ'd digital clone of Looking Back)
An early fade of the Rock 'N Soul edit, running about 3:34

I don't see any reason for this to exist.

As far as I can tell, this first appeared on a 2-CD from Warner Special Products called Love Songs (1988). It ran about 0.7% too fast on this disc. The same version also appears on:
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Good Times (1991; different analog transfer but also about 0.7% too fast)
  • Time-Life's 4-CD Great Love Songs Of The 70's And 80's Vol. 2 Let Your Love Flow (1991; digitally exactly 0.2 dB louder than Love Songs)
  • Warner Special Products' 18 Disco Superhits (1996; same analog transfer as Love Songs)
Over-ambitious homemade edit, running about 3:31

I suspect that this was made by TM Century. It correctly reproduces the 45 edits, but additionally edits out the 32 beats from 3:46-4:01 of the LP version that are edited out in the Rock 'N Soul Part 1 edit. Oops - nice try, guys.

Found on:
  • swaitek's promo 50-CD The A List Disc 7 (1994)
Bottom line:

For the LP version, there are a number of nice-sounding collections, including Starting All Over Again (1997), Legendary (2002) and Ultimate (2004).

For the true 45 edit, get Playlist (2006).

Edited by crapfromthepast on 03 January 2014 at 6:28pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 January 2014 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

crapfromthepast wrote:
Over-ambitious homemade edit, running about 3:31

I suspect that this was made by TM Century. It correctly reproduces the 45 edits, but additionally edits out the 32 beats from 3:46-4:01 of the LP version that are edited out in the Rock 'N Soul Part 1 edit. Oops - nice try, guys.

Just guessing, but they probably started with the Rock 'N Soul edit, and then made the additional 45 edit on the guitar solo.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version