Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: ELO "Mr. Blue Sky" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 October 2005 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Can anyone tell me exactly how the 45 edit of "Mr. Blue Sky" differs from the album version? I don't have the 45 or the one CD with the single edit. I took a guess and I edited out the intro part BEFORE the piano eighth-note part (with spoken "Morning..." part) begins, and I edited out the last part (where the faster, rock-ish part comes in), but my edit's a bit short compared to the CD listed in the book with the single edit. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 October 2005 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the 45 version is the same as the cd/lp version but fades out at the 3:44 mark before the song's tempo changes........would you like an mp3 of the 45 for your own review??

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 October 2005 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Perhaps there is a difference between the dj 45 and the commercial 45 of this song. My LP version starts off with :03 of short wave radio sound effects that are not on the dj 45. Is this effect on the commercial 45?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2005 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

yes....the radio intro IS on the commercial 45 issued on jet 5050

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2005 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Edtop40,

When you say "radio intro", I assume you don't mean just the "radio voice" saying "morning, etc." over the piano chords. Is that correct? There is a distinct short wave radio sound effect for 3 seconds, then piano chords with a radio voice saying "morning, etc." If this is correct, it sounds like the dj 45 is 3 seconds shorter than the commercial 45, which is shorter than the LP version. Can anyone verify this (or disprove it)?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2005 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

The edited version on Afterglow does not include short-wave SFX; it starts with the piano/"morning, etc." That version runs (3:48) taking the fade all the way down.

Doug
Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2005 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

you guys are way to good about describing the song....i can't figure out what you guys are talking about...........does anyone want an mp3 of the actual 45 version to compare themselves...........i'm glad to send an mp3 to anyone who requests it.....edtop40

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2005 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Doug,

Are you saying the version on "Afterglow" has strings that fade out longer than where they stop on the regular album version?

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 October 2005 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I don't have the actual LP version to compare--Pat's 8th edition book notes that the Afterglow version is the 45 version. I don't know where exactly the strings stop and the tempo changes on the LP.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 October 2005 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

OK. Pat, you have both versions -- can you verify if the strings continue on for a longer period of time on the single (or "Afterglow" CD) vs. the album?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 October 2005 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Now you have me confused with the "strings" comment. The song on the LP version starts off with :07 of short wave sound effects and an announcer saying "good morning, today's forecast calls for blue skies". My dj 45 shortens this introduction to :04 with the first :03 of the LP version edited out. I am just trying to see if the commercial 45 has this :04 intro or the :07 intro before the tempo picks up and the real song begins.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 October 2005 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Pat writes:

<Now you have me confused with the "strings" comment.>

You are talking about the beginning of the song, and I am referring to the end. By "strings", perhaps it would be more accurate to say "strings/vocals" (where the vocals are singing "boh"). At the end of the single edit, there is one held note -- strings and a choir -- the choir is singing something like "boh" or "bah". It gets cut off on the LP version when the fast tempo kicks in. What Doug is implying is that the vocals and strings hold out longer on the single version (than on the LP) but he doesn't have both, nor do I. So Pat, since you do, can you check this out?

Hopefully edtop40, who has the commercial 45, can answer the question about the length of its intro and just how much, if any, is cut out of the commercial 45.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 October 2005 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

OK now I am with you and on the 45 ending - the "strings" remain for about :04 longer than on the LP version so I don't see how you could ever edit the LP version down to get the 45 version.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 October 2005 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Yep, you're right, Pat. I tried editing the LP version of "Mr. Blue Sky" to match the 45 version and it can't be done because, as has been documented in this thread, the 45 ending has the strings fade out completely whereas the percussion on the LP version "interrupt" the strings/vocals prior to full fade out. It's the same type of situation as the 45 and LP version of Cyndi Lauper's "Change of Heart", which was discussed extensively on the message board some time ago.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 October 2005 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

"Change Of Heart" hasn't been issued in its 45 version? I don't remember that discussion. Can you recap for me?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 October 2005 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I found it on pages 3 and 4 of the "Single/Album versions" thread. All 4:22 CD appearances of "Change Of Heart" are apparently the LP version, as the single ran 3:59 and can't be replicated merely by fading the LP version (they're the same up to the 3:56 mark).

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 October 2005 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the info, Doug. I'm going to track down a copy of the 45 and dub the last few seconds to make the 45 version for "Change Of Heart." I've had a lot of success with other songs, such as "Right On Track" by the Breakfast Club and "Thriller" by MJ (Brian can testify to how well my homemade 45 versions sound). In those instances, I dubbed the needed sections from the 45 and then removed surface noise & clicks and matched the EQ. It's a time consuming process, but it's well worth the effort.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the 45 actually lists a run time of 3:44 and does indeed run that length.....if you fade out the last 0:02 of the 3:46 cd version you'll have the true 45 version.....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I was revisiting this one, and I haven't been able to find a 45 dub that runs as long as the version on Afterglow. I have a dub of the promo 45 on my hard drive, and it runs 3:44. The intro has three piano notes before the announcer voice comes in. There are no short wave tuning sound effects like on the LP version. The final note of the song lasts 4.5 seconds from the start of the drum hit to the end of the audio. By contrast, this same note on Greatest Hits lasts 4.9 seconds before the second part of the song begins. The version on Afterglow has this final note running 7.9 seconds, which is far beyond the fade of the promo 45.

There is a dub on YouTube of someone playing a 45 (looks like a stock 45), and it matches the promo 45 copy in terms of the length of the fade out, also running 4.5 seconds. This makes me wonder if the version on Afterglow would technically be the 45 version but slightly longer.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Aaron, my DJ 45 and two stock 45s are all sourced from the same cutting, with identical deadwax numbers. The stock runs 3:44 as advertised, with the same 4.5 second fade.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version