Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Penguins-Earth Angel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 February 2009 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

Does anyone have a copy of this 45 (Dootone 348-B)that does not have a faded in intro? I have 3 copies and they all fade in at about 5 seconds.

It would seem, then, that the Jukebox Treasure #6009 version with the notation, "missing :05 of the intro" - if it is a fadein - is actually the correct 45 version and all the other 2:54 versions(such as on Rhino: "Best Of Doo-wop Ballads" should have the notation, "contains the complete intro," or something to that effect.

Or was a there another Dootone pressing that contained the complete intro?
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

All copies of the 45 that are original Dootone/Dooto pressings are missing the full intro. Any that has the full intro, is a bootleg, and they do exist.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

This is a response from BudB, who is having trouble logging onto the message board:

"All of the original Dootone 45s and even the 78 pressings (I checked my copies) have a fade in. As the story goes, the owner of Dootone did not want the record to run over 3 minutes so he would be assured of radio air play. (Not many records ran over 3 minutes in those days.) However, that old explanation does not tell us why the original "A" side of the record "Hey Senorita" also fades in on the first pressings.

"A high quality pressing on a Dootone reissue 45 from the 70's or early 80's does have the full intro to both songs without fading in to them. (This might be a bootleg although it does have the street address of the record company on the label.) Also, a 45 re-issue on the Power label has the full intro for both sides."
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2009 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

aaronk wrote:
"A high quality pressing on a Dootone reissue 45 from the 70's or early 80's does have the full intro to both songs without fading in to them. (This might be a bootleg although it does have the street address of the record company on the label.) Also, a 45 re-issue on the Power label has the full intro for both sides."

That is a bootleg...i forget where it first turned up with the full intro but the Dooto bootleg was copied off of that source... one of my vinyl collecting buddies who does a radio show that specializes in playing only the original vinyl pressings, and is very well versed in all sorts of various pressings of over a hundred thousand different records, confirmed this with me.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2009 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Is the fade in recreatable?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2012 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Pat, I notice that the database has not been updated to reflect the information provided by the above posters.

My U.S. commercial 45, which does not state a run time, runs (2:49). This is also the run time given in Joel Whitburn's Pop Annual. It is missing the first five seconds of the version commonly found on CD. Previous posters describe the intro on the 45 as a fade-in, but I don't detect a fade-in; to my ears the first five seconds were simply chopped off.

My copy has a black label which, according to the twelfth edition of Jerry Osborne's The Official Price Guide To Records, was one of four label variations Dootone used during the song's chart run in 1954-1955. In the mid-1980s I purchased a copy of Dootone 348 with the full intro that was in such prestine condition that it appeared to be brand new. This led me to immediately question its authenticity. The above posters would confirm these suspicions a quarter of a century later. The label on this unauthorized reproduction differs enough from any of the labels Dootone used in the 1950s to be easily identifiable.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2012 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

The Dootone 45 with the mailing address of "121 So. Hope St., Suite 334 Los Angeles, CA 90012-3087" shown on the label is not a bootleg. It is a legitimate reissue, dating from at least 1983, when the ZIP+4 postal code was introduced by the USPS.

Contrary to the BSN discography's assertion that Dootone closed up shop "around 1975," the label was still actively releasing new poduct past that date, as evidenced by a corner display ad in the January 23, 1982 issue of Billboard magazine for Vernon Green's "You're A Superstar" single on Dootone DOO-4801. In addition to the Hope St. address, Dootone's phone number is included in the ad.

As others have mentioned, the '80s reissue is a high-quality pressing, manufactured by the same plant responsible for the colored vinyl Larry Williams Specialty 45 boxed set issued by Collectables at about the same time.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

boynamedfoo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 October 2014 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote boynamedfoo

This one is confusing me, nearly every version of this song in the DB reads (contains the complete
introduction which is not included on the 45) except for the (rerecording) versions. Yet
contrasting the songs taken from "Shout! Factory 10664 Doo Wop Love Songs (Box Set)" &
"Time-Life 21078 Street Corner Symphonies" they clearly have a different beginning and ending yet
are described the same.

Edited by boynamedfoo on 01 October 2014 at 5:31pm
Back to Top View boynamedfoo's Profile Search for other posts by boynamedfoo

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 October 2014 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The "Street Corner Symphonies" cd has the complete introduction, at least on my copy of that cd. The "Doo Wop Love Songs" cd on Shout Factory includes the original 45 introduction but at full volume, not faded in so I have changed the description in the database to reflect this.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

boynamedfoo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2014 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote boynamedfoo

I still contend that one of these two should be listed as an alternate take or rerecording, as
"Street Corner.." has piano playing 4 or 5 notes under the last sung note of "YOU", whilst "Doo
Wop Love Songs" plays it's last piano note under "WITH", also the 3rd part of the 4 part harmony
of "You" is noticeably different between the two.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 October 2014 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I recently ordered a copy of this 45 which the seller claims is an original black label copy which has no address at all on the label and a matrix number of DOO-348-B. This 45 has the fadein introduction and the piano playing under the last sung note of "you". If everyone agrees this is the original release then I am ready to tackle the project of going through the 100 or so cd's that have been issued with this song included. So is everyone in agreement that the 45 I have is the original hit version of Earth Angel?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 October 2014 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Pat's description of his 45 matches my 45, except that the matrix number on mine reads "45-DOO-348-B". Also, as I state above, the intro does not sound faded in to me; the 45 simply starts at a point in the introduction at which the volume is rather low. All evidence I've been able to gather indicates that this is a 1954/55 pressing.

I've spent quite some time this morning comparing my 45 with the version on Rhino's Best Of Doo Wop Ballads. (I also have the song on Varese Sarabande's Rock & Roll's Greatest Love Songs and Rhino's Doo Wop Box. All my CD versions are the same.) Unfortunately, I don't have the Shout Factory box to which Foo refers.

The 45 and the CD versions are the same take. Strong evidence of this is that on both, Cleve Duncan does not pop the 'P' on the word "pray" the first time he sings the bridge, but he does pop it the second time he sings it. On the 45, however, there is quite a bit of reverb present throughout the song, while the CD versions are dry.

I had never compared the endings before, and when I did I initially thought that the final "You-you-you-you" was from a different take, because this final part of the song sounded noticeably different. But after listening to the two endings numerous times, I have concluded that the only reason the endings sound different is that the reverb at the end of the song is very heavy on the 45. The actual vocal parts are the same. The final piano notes are present on both, but sound far less prominent on the 45 because of the heavy reverb.

So the only differences I can detect between the 45 and the commonly found CD version are the intro and the reverb.

It appears from Foo's description of the version on the Shout Factory box that this is not the 45 version.

Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

boynamedfoo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 October 2014 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote boynamedfoo

I now contend that the "Doo Wop Love Songs (Box Set) Shout! Factory 10664" version is in fact
the 1960 Mercury records rerecording that reached #101. The absence of piano at the conclusion,
as well as he sings "The visions of your loveliness" at the 2:07 mark instead of the correct
"vision".
The fact that we delve into these song looking for the smallest minutia says something about us.
What I'm not sure of, but something.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 October 2014 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

boynamedfoo wrote:
The fact that we delve into these song looking for the smallest minutia says something about us. What I'm not sure of, but something.

Yeah, we're all nuts! There's a reason that One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is one of my favorite movies.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 October 2014 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Has anyone on the board been able to successfully
recreate the hit 45 version?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 October 2021 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

In assembling 1955 and a look at Pat's database tells me this song is not on CD in its original 45 version domestically. If anyone knows an import CD that it is on, please let me know where.

I checked American Heartbeat 1955 Disc 2 copy and it is not the 45 version either (it runs close but no cigar). The 45 starts with a piano. Every version on CD starts with this different intro.

For reference here is the 45 version. I don't think you can recreate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx7ibQVVzqk

Edited by PopArchivist on 15 October 2021 at 8:10pm

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 October 2021 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Pat Downey wrote:
I recently ordered a copy of this 45 which the seller claims is an original black label copy which has no address at all on the label and a matrix number of DOO-348-B. This 45 has the fadein introduction and the piano playing under the last sung note of "you". If everyone agrees this is the original release then I am ready to tackle the project of going through the 100 or so cd's that have been issued with this song included. So is everyone in agreement that the 45 I have is the original hit version of Earth Angel?

Pat,

I find it hard to believe that not one domestic CD of this legendary song has the correct 45 version! I'm not even sure Ed's version he sent me is the correct 45, its missing the reverb and proper youuuu.... ending that everyone is talking about.

This is one of those instances where even Eric Records DES uses the non-45 version as well. I'm starting to think it just never got transferred to CD in its 45 version!

Edited by PopArchivist on 15 October 2021 at 8:15pm

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 October 2021 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Here's a posted copy of the 45:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx7ibQVVzqk

Erie, PA

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 October 2021 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Rich, I see you posted it too. Apologies for the
duplication.

Erie, PA

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2021 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The oldest CD I have with "Earth Angel" is Original Sound's Oldies But Goodies Vol. 1 (1987). This track has a lot of added noise reduction. Avoid.

Aside from the Original Sound CD, I found four separate analog transfer for the song. Three run at about the same speed as the Original Sound CD, and the fourth is much faster:

1. Rhino's Billboard Top Rock 'N' Roll Hits 1955 (1988). The same analog transfer is used on:
    • Time-Life's 2-CD Love Me Tender (1991)
  2. Time-Life's Rock 'N' Roll Era Vol. 8 1954-1955 (1988). The same analog transfer is used on:
    • Heartland's 2-CD Slow Dancing (1991)
  3. Time-Life's Rhythm And Blues Vol. 17 1955 (1992). The same analog transfer is used on:
    • Time-Life's Heart Of Rock 'N' Roll Vol. 21 Slow Dancing Classics (1997)
    • Time-Life's 2-CD Classic R&B Collection Vol. 1 1955-1959 (2000)
  4. Rhino's multi-disc R&B Box 30 Years Of Rhythm And Blues (1994) - runs 1.3% faster than the earlier Rhino disc (and the others). The same analog transfer is used on:
    • Rhino's multi-disc promo Black History In Music Sampler (PRCD 7278, 1998)
    • Time-Life's 2-CD Glory Days Of Rock 'N Roll Vol. 1 Doo-Wop (1999)
    • Rhino's Millennium New Doo Wop Party (2000)
    • Time-Life's Classic R&B Collection Vol. 6 Heroes And Legends (2001)
    • Varese Sarabande's Totally Oldies Vol. 3 Then (2002)
Aside from the speed difference, all of the above sound about the same. All have decent dynamic range, reasonable EQ, and no evidence of added noise reduction.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Rhino's Billboard Top Rock 'N' Roll Hits 1955 (1988).

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version