Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Re-recorded hits Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 February 2009 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

So as not to threadjack the "No Time" thread.

Bill Cahill wrote:

Might make an interesting string on it's own, songs re-recorded to be hits like:

Help Me Rhonda
Sweet Mary (Wadsworth Mansion)
Dead Man's Curve
Thinking Of You (Loggins and Messina)

Add to that:
Sounds of Silence--Simon & Garfunkel
Foolish Games & You Were Meant For Me--Jewel

was "All Right Now"--Free a different recording for the single or just dramatically remixed?

It could also be argued that many ABC/Dunhill singles from the late 60s/early 70s could fall under this umbrella as well since they were noticeably different in mix and sometimes vocals from the album versions (though in those cases often the single came first)

Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2009 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Hykker:

The 45 of "All Right Now" was, as you put it, 'dramatically remixed'.

Rhythm guitars were rerecorded with more crunch (& more notes).

Cowbell replaced a temple block.

Much of the origanal track, including lead vocal & guitar solo, remained on the 45. It's just hard to tell because the new mix/edit was really superior as far as punch-on-the-radio goes.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2009 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Wasn't the 45 of Booker T. & The M.G.'s "Time Is Tight" a completely different recording from the LP version?

I suppose we could also count "Revolution" by the Beatles (the B-side of "Hey Jude" drastically different from the recording on The White Album).

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2009 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Whitesnake "Here I Go Again" 45 rpm disc was a re-recorded session.

Not exactly on-topic, but the video version of Billy Joel's "Still Rock and Roll To Me" contained a re-recorded vocal track.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 February 2009 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jody Thornton wrote:
the video version of Billy Joel's "Still Rock and Roll To Me" contained a re-recorded vocal track.

Wow! I had no idea about that one. I guess you learn something new every day!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

And I really wonder why they went to such trouble back in 1980 - such as why not just lip sync to what the record already had?

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 1:31am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

aaronk wrote:
Jody Thornton wrote:
the video version of Billy Joel's "Still Rock and Roll To Me" contained a re-recorded vocal track.

Can that video mix be found on cd easily?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Jody Thornton wrote:
And I really wonder why they went to such trouble back in 1980 - such as why not just lip sync to what the record already had?

Could this be a case where the wrong audio tape was supplied for the video editors? Or was the song not fully completed when the video was shot?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

RICK SPRINGFIELD - "Speak to the Sky" (1972)

RS originally recorded an electric version of the song in 1971 in his native Australia; that was the version that became the hit there. On the success of that song Down Under, Capitol signed him to a U.S. deal shortly thereafter, and the label had him re-record the song acoustically, which was the version that became a hit in this country in the summer/fall of '72 (and was featured on his debut solo album, "Beginnings")...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Jody Thornton wrote:
Not exactly on-topic, but the video version of Billy Joel's "Still Rock and Roll To Me" contained a re-recorded vocal track.

Hmmm, interesting. While I've since become quite familiar w/ that 1980 video over the last 10 years thanks to VH-1 Classic, I honestly hadn't noticed that the vocals were re-recorded...

And speaking of which, is it me, or is it also the same situation w/ the video for Neil Diamond's 1982 hit, "Heartlight"??? Our cable company in San Diego didn't start carrying MTV until 1984, so like w/ the video for "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me", I never even knew there was also one for "Heartlight" until I first saw it on VH-1 Classic starting about 10 years ago. They still air it fairly regularly to this day; for those not familiar w/ it, Neil walks into an empty theater-type setting, steps up behind a podium (complete w/ a scarf around his neck), and proceeds to sing the song all the way through. I must confess, I've never been a huge ND fan, as he's one of those artists who's always been hit-or-miss w/ me (enjoy some of his songs, like "Heartlight", while other hits of his make me cringe), but can anyone confirm if that video version is also a different vocal recording from the 45/LP, or is it just my mind/memory playing tricks on me???
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

TomDiehl1 wrote:
aaronk wrote:
Jody Thornton wrote:

Can that video mix be found on cd easily?

I really don't think so. And to answer the question about whether the track was maybe not completed at the time of the vid shoot, remember that this was the runner up single to "You May Be Right". I think that the LP would already have been completed at that point then, no?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Re: Billy Joel, I had the same thought -- the album would have probably been completed by the time the video for the 2nd single was shot. I don't think this mix is on CD, but it's most likely on DVD -- There were DVD releases of almost all Billy Joel videos - so you can probably find it there, and it won't even be in low "mp3" quality - it should be the same quality as if it were released on CD (of course, that depends on how clean/good a source was used to make the actual video) but this would be your best bet.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Re: Neil Diamond "Heartlight", yes that's an alternate lead vocal in the video. I noticed it the first time I saw that video, about 20 years ago. Incidentally, I never saw it in the early days of VH1, but I first moved to a location that had VH1 about 6 or 9 months after it debuted, and it's quite possible they played it early on and then completely stopped playing it by the time I could subscribe. I think I first saw the video during one of VH1's "History of Music Videos" marathon, where they took about 2 weeks to go through a majority of videos they had. Years later, MTV2 did an even better job with this same concept. They took over a month and played over 99% of the videos in the MTV/VH1 archives! It was great.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Jody Thornton wrote:

Whew! It sure did. It sounds to me like they re-recorded it live for the video and overdubbed his harmony vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP49NFreLu8

Edited by Brian W. on 15 February 2009 at 12:16pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

So is "Sometimes a Fantasy":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X163bAYcD1M

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Brian W. wrote:

I totally forgot about that song. Man I need to pull out Glass Houses right now.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite wrote:
Re: Neil Diamond "Heartlight", yes that's an alternate lead vocal in the video. I noticed it the first time I saw that video, about 20 years ago.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion, EdisonLite! I'm admittedly not as good as most folks here when it comes to noticing such subtler differences, so whenever I'm able to catch something like that on my own, I impress myself, lol. I noticed it from the first time I saw/heard the video, too...

Quote:
Incidentally, I never saw it in the early days of VH1, but I first moved to a location that had VH1 about 6 or 9 months after it debuted, and it's quite possible they played it early on and then completely stopped playing it by the time I could subscribe.

I don't doubt that the "Heartlight" video got lots of plays when VH-1 debuted in '85; I wanna say our cable company picked them up in '86 or '87, but I still primarily tuned in to MTV at that time. And considering that ND was primarily aimed at an older audience by the early '80s, it wouldn't surprise me if MTV passed on "Heartlight" altogether in '82...

Quote:
I think I first saw the video during one of VH1's "History of Music Videos" marathon, where they took about 2 weeks to go through a majority of videos they had. Years later, MTV2 did an even better job with this same concept. They took over a month and played over 99% of the videos in the MTV/VH1 archives! It was great.

Yeah, I sure wish MTV or VH-1 would do another one of those vintage "video marathons"! The last one that got my attention was in '06, when VH-1 Classic re-aired the entire first day of MTV from August 1, 1981 (which I went so far as to tape), to celebrate their 25th anniversary. Alas, even VH-1 Classic has gone downhill over the last five years, IMO. From the lack of VJ's to no more daily "request hour", not to mention it seems I rarely see anything "new" anymore! That's why I was pleasantly surprised one morning just a few weeks ago when I caught them airing the video for Sheena Easton's 1982 hit, "When He Shines" - my first time ever seeing that one - but that was the first time I'd been able to say that in probably 2-3 years! I still have all of my old issues of "Billboard" magazine from the mid to late '80s, which printed MTV's complete weekly playlists at the time; there's still plenty of 'em I've never seen (or haven't seen in 20+ years), but would love to... :-(

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Jody Thornton wrote:
Brian W. wrote:

I totally forgot about that song. Man I need to pull out Glass Houses right now.

Actually, so is "You May Be Right." I get the impression he hated lipsynching and wanted to record his vocals live for the videos, they they may have used the pre-recorded instrumental tracks.

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 February 2009 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

80smusicfreak wrote:
[QUOTE=EdisonLite]
I don't doubt that the "Heartlight" video got lots of plays when VH-1 debuted in '85; I wanna say our cable company picked them up in '86 or '87, but I still primarily tuned in to MTV at that time. And considering that ND was primarily aimed at an older audience by the early '80s, it wouldn't surprise me if MTV passed on "Heartlight" altogether in '82...

Although we didn't get MTV until '83, we did get VH-1 right way in '85 and I have never seen "Heartlight" on either channel. Although VH-1 did play the heck out of Neil Diamond's 1985 video "Headed For The Future" which was Neil's attempt at being somewhat hip for the '80s audience.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 July 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Bumping this up for budaniel, since I remembered that this was also where EdisonLite confirmed for me that the original video for Neil Diamond's 1982 hit, "Heartlight", also contained a newly-recorded vocal (in addition to a previous discussion about BJ's Glass Houses songs). BTW, here's a link to the specific ND video I was referring to back in '09, if you've never seen it (still occasionally gets play on VH-1 Classic): Neil Diamond - "Heartlight" video

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version