Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
PaulEschen
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 February 2009 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote PaulEschen

Pat, in the database you list the LP version as being the "hit" version. I was wondering about that,
because you have the song listed under 1996, when the studio version hit the charts in June, 1995
(though it did last for 32 weeks according to Mr. Whitburn). However, the single for "You Learn" has as
the flip (or Track 2) the live version of "You Oughta Know" from the Grammy Awards show in 1996, and
again Mr. Whitburn lists this single (Maverick 17644) as a double-sided hit. So, I wanted to clarify that
you meant the '95 studio version as the "hit", and was not counting the live "flip" version.

Edited by PaulEschen on 06 February 2009 at 5:20pm
Back to Top View PaulEschen's Profile Search for other posts by PaulEschen

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

This sounds like an error on Whitburn's part. The "Jagged Little Pill" version was the hit (with some editing), though some stations (including the one I was music director at) did play a cleaned-up edit of the accoustic version (as a recurrent) when that was released (not an easy edit BTW).

Curiously, for those on this board who were working in radio when "You Oughta Know" was a hit...did you "clean up" the record company edit (in which the f-bomb was only slightly edited)? I did, I also cleaned up the edit on her follow-up, "Hand In My Pocket" so as to say "brave but I'm chicken" as opposed to the record company edit which left sh-t nearly intact.

Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

mstgator
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote mstgator

The discrepancy in the database exists because Pat doesn't list airplay-only hits prior to the Hot 100 methodology change that allowed non-singles to chart (in late 1998). The live version of "You Oughta Know" was the only version that charted on the main Hot 100 (thanks to the "You Learn" single), so 1996 is considered the hit year for database purposes. (At least that's my theory.)

Of course if we want to really get technical, I'd propose that many pop stations played the "Jimmy The Saint Blend Clean Version" (track one on the Maverick promo single PRO-CD-7732-R) which was a remix (and clean edit) of the album version, making that the true hit version. :)

Edited by mstgator on 07 February 2009 at 7:07am
Back to Top View mstgator's Profile Search for other posts by mstgator

mstgator
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote mstgator

eek, double post

Edited by mstgator on 06 February 2009 at 7:49pm

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2009 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I only remember the album version (or an edit of it) getting airplay in Frederick, MD where i lived at the time....i've never even heard the other version.

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Hykker wrote:
This sounds like an error on Whitburn's part.

This is NOT an error! The Jagged Little Pill version hit the Hot 100 Airplay chart only (and peaked at #13) in 1995. When the live version was added to the commercial single of "You Learn" in 1996, Billboard showed "You Oughta Know" as the B-side on the actual Hot 100.

Obviously, the studio version was the "hit" version we all know and love. In fact, that was the #1 song on my personal 1995 countdown:)
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

mstgator
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote mstgator

mstgator wrote:
Of course if we want to really get technical, I'd propose that many pop stations played the "Jimmy The Saint Blend Clean Version" (track one on the Maverick promo single PRO-CD-7732-R) which was a remix (and clean edit) of the album version, making that the true hit version. :)

Well heck... it turns out this version does also appear on Jagged Little Pill as hidden track 13 (albeit with the F-bomb intact). The differences between this and the main album version are subtle, but definitely noticeable, especially on the first verse. (I believe the video used this mix as well.)

Edited by mstgator on 07 February 2009 at 8:53am

satchdr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote satchdr

It's really a "double" hidden track because after the song "ends" at 4:10, there is then 1:12 of silence and at 5:12 she continues to sing acappella.

I always thought the ending of the hidden track was very, very strange - stalker-type stuff.
Back to Top View satchdr's Profile Search for other posts by satchdr

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

There was also a MTV Clean Edit that really removed the f bomb and removed the part of going down on you in the theater. We played that version at our CHR station.
Back to Top View Gary's Profile Search for other posts by Gary

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

Wow, I never knew about "track 13" I just dug out my copy of the CD and sure enough there it is.

I was working the "alternative rock" format at a college-owned station at the time. We were never serviced with an edit for "You Oughta Know" so we focused on "All I Really Want" which we DID receive a single for. Later on we did receive the edit for "Hand In My Pocket" as well as just about every other single on the album.

By the way, how many edits were there for "Hand In My Pocket"? The one we received was just censoring the F word, but years later, I heard one on a Muzak-type service that just simply eliminated the whole offending line. It cut out the whole "sad but laughing" part and went "I'm shy but I'm friendly baby and what it all boils down to..." I was quite impressed with that since it sounds so seamless. Does this version exist anywhere?
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Gary wrote:
There was also a MTV Clean Edit that really removed the f bomb and removed the part of going down on you in the theater. We played that version at our CHR station.

Was this serviced on an official promo? I heard an edit today on my local Jack FM that might have been that edit. It might also have been a custom edit I heard. In the first verse, the words "down on you" are replaced with just music. In the second verse, "f*** her" are both replaced with just music, whereas in the edit our station played it was just a sloppy edit on the "f" word only.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

By the way, there is also a "Clean Album Version" on one of the import CD singles. (I can't remember if this is also on the promo CD.)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

RichM921 wrote:
By the way, how many edits were there for "Hand In My Pocket"?

Our station was only serviced with one promo, containing the "Clean Album Version." It was a sloppy edit on the word "sh**." I've never heard the version that cuts the entire line.

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 February 2009 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

aaronk wrote:
RichM921 wrote:
By the way, how many edits were there for "Hand In My Pocket"?

Our station was only serviced with one promo, containing the "Clean Album Version." It was a sloppy edit on the word "sh**." I've never heard the version that cuts the entire line.

Oops, yes it was the S word not the F word on "Hand In My Pocket." Got my obscenities mixed up there for a moment. Alanis was really quite PO'd in the '90s!

Back to "You Oughta Know", I remember that the version I used to hear on WAPE in Jacksonville (near where I lived at the time) elimiated the whole "down on you" line. So it sounded like this:

An older version of me/Is she perverted like me/Does she speak eloquently/And would she have your baby

I know it seems clunky, but it worked.

As for the other part of the song, the entire F word was removed.

Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2009 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Here's all my various promo CD singles, for both tunes brought up. 4 different promos for "You Oughta Know" (with some redundant cuts), and to answer your question, Aaron, yes, the MTV Clean Edit was on one of them. Also, two different promo CD single catalog #'s for "Hand In My Pocket", but with the exact same two tracks and actual times on both. (The WB family of labels did this "two different promo CD single catalog #'s, but the same music on both" surprisingly often during this era, for some reason.) Here goes:

Alanis Morissette-"You Oughta Know" (PRO-CD-7565)
1-The Jimmy The Saint Blend Clean Version (listed 4:12; actual 4:10)
2-Clean Album Version (listed 4:08; actual 4:07) **

Alanis Morissette-"You Oughta Know" (PRO-CD-7563)
1-The Jimmy The Saint Blend Clean Version (listed 4:12; actual 4:10)
2-The Jimmy The Saint Blend (listed 4:12; actual 4:11)
3-All I Really Want (Album Version)
4-Perfect (Acoustic Version)

Alanis Morissette-"You Oughta Know" (PRO-CD-7856-R)
1-(MTV Clean Edit) (listed 4:12; actual 4:10)

Alanis Morissette-"You Oughta Know" (PRO-CD-7732-R)
1-The Jimmy The Saint Blend Clean Version (listed 4:11; actual 4:10)
2-Clean Album Version (listed 4:08; actual 4:07) **

** The version we played at my station in 1995

Alanis Morissette-"Hands In My Pocket" (PRO-CD-7860)
1-Clean Album Version (listed 3:37; actual 3:38) **
2-Album Version (listed 3:38; actual 3:37)

Alanis Morissette-"Hands In My Pocket" (PRO-CD-7891-R)
1-Clean Album Version (listed 3:39; actual 3:38) **
2-Album Version (listed 3:39; actual 3:37)

Pardon a bit of redundancy with versions and times, but in case anyone ends up hunting for one of these and finds a particular #, you will now know exactly what is contained on it.   

Edited by jimct on 08 February 2009 at 12:15am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2009 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

The "Live From The Grammys" version was also issued on a one-track promo CD single (PRO-CD Mav 0011). Curiously, it does not edit out the F-word, which was also heard on the live East Coast broadcast of the show. It was edited out of the West Coast feed three hours later.

In the mid-1990s, Billboard's Hot 100 B-side policy was a mess. There apparently was no clear policy on how much airplay a B-side needed to register in order to chart. (It was only after a reader pointed out that Jewel's "Foolish Games", which had been receiving airplay for months, was the B-side of "You Were Made For Me" that Billboard started listing it as a two-sided hit.) Because Billboard did not differentiate between different versions of the same song by the same artist when measuring airplay, it was the airplay the studio version was still receiving as a recurrent that contributed to the single's chart run, eventhough it was not until the live version appeared as "You Learn"'s B-side that the song became eligible to chart.

Shortly thereafter, Billboard finally established a clear B-side policy, requiring a B-side to debut in the Top 75 in airplay before it could chart. Since late 1998 the Hot 100 has been a song chart rather than a singles chart, rendering two-sided listings a thing of the past.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 November 2013 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just obtained a full-length promo copy of the Jagged Little Pill album, and it contains clean versions of "You Oughta Know" and "Hand In My Pocket." Just like the retail album, the remix of "You Oughta Know" is not listed on the case, but it is on track 13 with the acappella song. Both mixes of "You Oughta Know" cut out the "f" word, and these are the exact edits used on the promo CD singles.

Interestingly, "Hand In My Pocket" on this full-length CD is a slightly different clean version than what is on the promo CD. On this disc, the edit goes:

I'm brave, but I'm chicken sh   [inhale breath]

On the promo CD, it's more like this:

I'm brave, but I'm chicken shhhh   [no inhale breath]

Edited by aaronk on 30 November 2013 at 11:39pm

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Gary wrote:

You take the F bomb and the down part out and you just have another teenage love song without all the angst. Reminds me why I hated the rules that were in place for the Hot 100 during the 1990's. This was one of the hugest airplay hits. Looking at the Hot 100, you would have never known it existed at the time because it did not chart. In some ways Whitburn's inclusion of the airplay rankings within the Hot 100 annual is the only saving grace that allows all these awesome airplay hits to be included the way they should have been.

The edit on the cd single still leaves the down part, which I am sure based on its connotation had to be edited at radio....so does that mean the MTV Clean Edit is the true radio version of this song and not the album edit or jimmy the saint clean version?

Edited by PopArchivist on 07 July 2019 at 9:56pm
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 July 2019 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I was working at a small-market top 40 station in northern Michigan when the song was a hit, and we aired the "Jimmy The Saint Blend Clean Version" as it was issued. You can clearly hear "are you thinking of me when you fu.. her" as well as the entire line "does she go down on you..." We never received a single complaint.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2019 at 4:46am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

aaronk wrote:
I was working at a small-market top 40
station in northern Michigan when the song was a hit, and
we aired the "Jimmy The Saint Blend Clean Version" as it
was issued. You can clearly hear "are you thinking of me
when you fu.. her" as well as the entire line "does she
go down on you..." We never received a single complaint.

I was also at a relatively small market CHR at the time.
I don't remember which version of YOK we played...unlike
Jim's (RIP) station we didn't receive a plethora of
promos, just one with the F-bomb (sort of) removed. We
smoothed out the edit a bit, but left the theatre line
intact. No complaints that I was aware of.

Later, when the live Grammys version was released (and
the original was in recurrent rotation) we substituted it
for the studio version for a couple months. I edited it
to emulate the version Kiss 108 in Boston was
playing...the "down on you" line was pretty easy, the F-
bomb a bit trickier. I don't recall us getting serviced
with a clean version.

PopArchivist wrote:
You take the F bomb and the down part
out and you just have another teenage love song without
all the angst. Reminds me why I hated the rules that were
in place for the Hot 100 during the 1990's. This was one
of the hugest airplay hits. Looking at the Hot 100, you
would have never known it existed at the time because it
did not chart.

I agree that Billboard was a bit late to the party with
including songs that were never commercially released as
singles, but were legitimate hits in the Hot 100, but
keep in mind that prior to the mid-ish 90s these were few
and far between. That of course changed as the labels
actively promoted songs to radio that were not
commercially released as singles.

As far as explicit language goes, I'm not sure I
agree...there's plenty of angst in YOK without lines that
could get stations in trouble with the FCC. Plenty of
ways to get your point across without actual obscenities.
Sadly, we live in a time when coarse language is
everywhere.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version