Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 December 2008 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The album version runs in the range of 4:55 to about 4:58, and I have it on the following CDs:
  • Razor & Tie's Suddenly '70s (2-CD set mastered by Steve Hoffman, 1997 - best-sounding of the bunch)
  • K-Tel/CBS Special Products' Seems Like Yesterday Vol. II - Mid '70s (1989 - the first CD on which the album version appeared, I think, and excellent sound)
  • JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll 1975-1979 (1994; different EQ than above Seems Like Yesterday CD and also excellent sound)
  • Razor & Tie's The '70s Preservation Society Presents Those Fabulous '70s (1990, very good sound)
  • EMI Australia's Seventies Complete (5-CD box, 1997; sound good)
  • Epic Dance's Club Epic Vol. 4 (1996; is indeed the "original album version" as printed but does not run the printed time of 5:20; sound less than stellar due to boomy EQ)
  • Dominion Germany's Disco Fever - 80 megastarke Disco-hits (4-CD set, 1993; pretty bad sound)
The true 45 was (orange-label) Epic 8-50225, matrix number ZS S 161177-1H, with a printed and actual time of 3:12.

The true 45 has an edit on the downbeat at the word "die" at 1:20, and a 28-beat fade beginning on the downbeat on the word "play" at 2:56 and ending at 3:11.

The true 45 appears on exactly two CDs that I have:
  • Sony Music 100 Years - Soundtrack For A Century - Pop Music: The Modern Era 1976-1999 (2-CD set, 1999; clips a lot but sound is OK)
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul - Make It Funky (Time-Life R838-29, 2001; mastered by Dennis Drake, but is digitally identical to above CD and therefore sounds exactly the same as above CD. Note that this CD is insanely rare - I'll be happy to post more details if anyone wants them...)
Here is how to create the true 45 edit from the album version (timings from Suddenly '70s):

Keep from 0:00-1:20.
Edit on the word "die".
Remove the 128 beats from 1:20-2:30 until the next "die".
Add a 28-beat fade beginning on the downbeat on the word "play" at 4:07 and ending at 4:21.
Your mixdown should be in the neighborhood of 3:12 (forgot to actually check this).

Back in 1976, there was a promo DJ version sent to radio with the words "white boy" removed from the chorus and replaced with a new line like "play that funky music" at each instance. The edit points and fade are exactly in the same places as the commercial 45 described above. I've never actually seen this promo 45 (I assume it's a 45?) If anyone has this promo 45, please post the matrix number, just for the sake of completeness.

Oddly enough, this no-white-boy version was the first version to appear on CD, and appears only on the following two CDs:
  • Silver Eagle's Dancin' The Night Away (2-CD set, 1988, Warner Special Products OPCD-4512; a fantastic set of 40 songs and billed as the first disco CD collection ever - I love these discs)
  • Priority's Mega-Hits Dance Classics Vol. 5 (1989; mastered way too loud with lots of clipping - sound much worse than the Silver Eagle CD, but this CD is far more common and may be the only place you'll ever get to hear the censored version of the song)
Finally, there is another edit that I assume was created in 1989 for a Time-Life compilation. It's a very good edit, but it uses the wrong part of the song for the first chorus.

Here is how to create the faulty edit from the album version (timings from Seems Like Yesterday):

Keep from 0:00-0:52.
Edit at the space before the word "yeah", about 1.5 beats before the downbeat at the word "dancing" at about 0:53.
Remove the 128 beats from 0:52-2:03 until the next "yeah".
Add a 20-beat fade beginning on the downbeat on the word "play" at 4:15 and ending at 4:26. Note that this fade will actually include 4 beats into the key change - this is not present on the true 45.
Your mixdown will have an edit at 0:52 and a 20-beat fade from abut 3:05 to about 3:15.

This faulty edit appears on the following CDs:
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies - 1976 (1989, terrific sound - this is the CD that the edit was created for)
  • Rhino's Billboard Top Hits - 1976 (1991, sound nearly identical to above CD)
  • Rhino's In Yo' Face Vol. 3 (1993; digitally identical to above Rhino CD)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies - Seventies Dance Party - 1975-1976 (1997, different EQ than above 2 Rhino CDs)
  • Razor & Tie's Super '70s (2-CD set, 1995; mastered by Steve Hoffman, sounds superb, although all of the above faulty CDs sounds pretty darn good)
  • Rhino's Millennium Funk Party (1998; terrific track listings and lousy sound on all of Rhino's Millennium CDs - I avoid them when I can)
In terms of sound quality, all of the faulty edit CDs sound better than all of the album version CDs, both no-white-boy CDs, and both true 45 CDs. Too bad it's the wrong edit.

And there you go. Your results may vary!

Edited by crapfromthepast on 10 August 2020 at 1:08pm

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 3:03am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

crapfromthepast wrote:
Back in 1976, there was a promo DJ version sent to radio with the words "white boy" removed from the chorus and replaced with a new line like "play that funky music" at each instance. The edit points and fade are exactly in the same places as the commercial 45 described above. I've never actually seen this promo 45 (I assume it's a 45?) If anyone has this promo 45, please post the matrix number, just for the sake of completeness.

Oddly enough, this no-white-boy version was the first version to appear on CD, and appears only on the following two CDs:
  • Silver Eagle's Dancin' The Night Away (2-CD set, 1988, Warner Special Products OPCD-4512; a fantastic set of 40 songs and billed as the first disco CD collection ever - I love these discs)
  • Priority's Mega-Hits Dance Classics Vol. 5 (1989; mastered way too loud with lots of clipping - sound much worse than the Silver Eagle CD, but this CD is far more common and may be the only place you'll ever get to hear the censored version of the song)

I was all of 8 when the song hit the charts in '76, but loved it from the first time I heard it, even if I wasn't actually buying any music back then. I only ever remember hearing the "white boy" version before "PTFM" completely disappeared from radio in the early '80s, thanks to the anti-disco movement. Even when I did finally add the song to my growing music collection in the mid '80s, from the original parent album to numerous V/A dance compilations on cassette, that was still the only version I knew. (And although long out-of-print by then, I even added the rest of the group's albums to my collection on cassette. Their second, 1977's "Electrified Funk", remains one of my all-time favorites to this day, but alas, has never been re-issued on CD anywhere in the world, to the best of my knowledge...)

I still remember the very first time I ever heard the non-"white boy" version: It was around 1997-98, while in a friend's car, and he had the radio tuned to this hot new dance station out of New York City - 103.5 FM, WKTU. As a huge fan of the group, it of course immediately jumped out at me, and I remember turning to my friend and saying something like, "OMG! They're so PC, they cut out part of the lyrics," thinking it was some sort of custom edit on 'KTU's part. I heard it a couple more times on that station, but then moved away from NYC...

In fact, it wasn't until I bought Pat's book in '04 that I learned the non-"white boy" version was LEGIT, and had actually been created by the label back in '76! And by coincidence, just a few months ago, I actually heard the non-"white boy" version again on a radio station here in NH, while at work. In fact, a 40-something co-worker of mine actually noticed the difference as well, and asked me if I knew what was "missing" from the song, lol. (I passed the quiz!) Sorry to say I don't own that promo 45, nor have I gotten around to acquiring the "censored" version on CD (yet). But my hunt has now begun for that 2-CD set from Silver Eagle that you recommended...

Quote:
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul - Make It Funky (Time-Life R838-29, 2001; mastered by Dennis Drake, but is digitally identical to above CD and therefore sounds exactly the same as above CD. Note that this CD is insanely rare - I'll be happy to post more details if anyone wants them...)

• As a huge fan of '70s & '80s funk, please do. :-) Thanks in advance...
    Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Hykker
    MusicFan
    MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

80smusicfreak wrote:

In fact, it wasn't until I bought Pat's book in '04 that I learned the non-"white boy" version was LEGIT, and had actually been created by the label back in '76! And by coincidence, just a few months ago, I actually heard the non-"white boy" version again on a radio station here in NH, while at work. In fact, a 40-something co-worker of mine actually noticed the difference as well, and asked me if I knew what was "missing" from the song,

While I was aware that an edit of this song existed, I don't recall hearing it played anywhere. Any station I worked for back in "the day" played the more common "white boy" version (if they played the song at all).
    It wasn't until a few years ago that I heard it on our local oldies station.

What was so un-PC about the term "white boy"? After all, a couple years earlier Elton John got away with "h0nky". I would think that any station that might pass on the song would have done so because of the song's "funkiness" as opposed to any objectionable lyrics.

Edited by Hykker on 24 December 2008 at 6:07am
    Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

jimct
    MusicFan
    MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Just for the record here in CT, the Top 40 station in Hartford DID play the "non-white-boy-edit", exclusively as I recall, as a current in 1976; heard it with my own ears. While the New Haven Top 40 opted to play the "white boy" version, as most other stations also did.
    Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

crapfromthepast
    MusicFan
    MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

There's another thread for this song here that oddly enough didn't turn up in my search.

From that thread, the "no white boy" version is very easy to identify - its catalog number is AE7 1107. The "white boy" catalog number is 50225.

I'll need a little time to go through Solid Gold Soul - Make It Funky. I'm going to be out of town for the holidays, and I'd like to get a scan of the artwork to Mike Callahan beforehand so I can link to the Both Sides Now discography page. Stay tuned...
    Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

LunarLaugh
    MusicFan
    MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2020 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote LunarLaugh

crapfromthepast wrote:
    The album version runs in the
    range of 4:55 to about 4:58, and I have it on the
    following CDs:
    • Razor & Tie's Suddenly
      '70s
      (2-CD set mastered by Steve Hoffman, 1997 -
      best-sounding of the bunch)
    • K-Tel/CBS Special
      Products' Seems Like Yesterday Vol. II - Mid
      '70s
      (1989 - the first CD on which the album
      version appeared, I think, and excellent sound)

• JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll 1975-1979 (1994;
      different EQ than above Seems Like Yesterday CD
      and also excellent sound)
    • Razor & Tie's The
      '70s Preservation Society Presents Those Fabulous
      '70s
      (1990, very good sound)
    • EMI
      Australia's Seventies Complete (5-CD box, 1997;
      sound good)
    • Epic Dance's Club Epic Vol.
      (1996; is indeed the "original album version" as
      printed but does not run the printed time of 5:20;
      sound less than stellar due to boomy EQ)

• Dominion Germany's Disco Fever - 80 megastarke
      Disco-hits
      (4-CD set, 1993; pretty bad sound)

The true 45 was (orange-label) Epic 8-50225,
    matrix number ZS S 161177-1H, with a printed and actual
    time of 3:12.

The true 45 has an edit on the downbeat at the word
    "die" at 1:20, and a 28-beat fade beginning on the
    downbeat on the word "play" at 2:56 and ending at 3:11.

The true 45 appears on exactly two CDs that I have:
    • Sony Music 100 Years - Soundtrack For A
      Century - Pop Music: The Modern Era 1976-1999
      (2-CD
      set, 1999; clips a lot but sound is OK)
    • Time-
      Life's Solid Gold Soul - Make It Funky (Time-
      Life R838-29, 2001; mastered by Dennis Drake, but is
      digitally identical to above CD and therefore sounds
      exactly the same as above CD. Note that this CD is
      insanely rare - I'll be happy to post more details if
      anyone wants them...)
    Here is how to create
    the true 45 edit from the album version (timings from
    Suddenly '70s):

Keep from 0:00-1:20.
    Edit on the word "die".
    Remove the 128 beats from 1:20-2:30 until the next
    "die".
    Add a 28-beat fade beginning on the downbeat on the
    word "play" at 4:07 and ending at 4:21.
    Your mixdown should be in the neighborhood of 3:12
    (forgot to actually check this).

Back in 1976, there was a promo DJ version sent to
    radio with the words "white boy" removed from the
    chorus and replaced with a new line like "play that
    funky music" at each instance. The edit points and
    fade are exactly in the same places as the commercial
    45 described above. I've never actually seen this
    promo 45 (I assume it's a 45?) If anyone has this
    promo 45, please post the matrix number, just for the
    sake of completeness.

Oddly enough, this no-white-boy version was the first
    version to appear on CD, and appears only on the
    following two CDs:
    • Silver Eagle's Dancin'
      The Night Away
      (2-CD set, 1988, Warner Special
      Products OPCD-4512; a fantastic set of 40 songs and
      billed as the first disco CD collection ever - I love
      these discs)
    • Priority's Mega-Hits Dance
      Classics Vol. 5
      (1989; mastered way too loud with
      lots of clipping - sound much worse than the Silver
      Eagle CD, but this CD is far more common and may be the
      only place you'll ever get to hear the censored version
      of the song)
    Finally, there is another edit
    that I assume was created in 1989 for a Time-Life
    compilation. It's a very good edit, but it uses the
    wrong part of the song for the first chorus.

Here is how to create the faulty edit from the album
    version (timings from Seems Like Yesterday):

Keep from 0:00-0:52.
    Edit at the space before the word "yeah", about 1.5
    beats before the downbeat at the word "dancing" at
    about 0:53.
    Remove the 128 beats from 0:52-2:03 until the next
    "yeah".
    Add a 20-beat fade beginning on the downbeat on the
    word "play" at 4:15 and ending at 4:26. Note that this
    fade will actually include 4 beats into the key change
    - this is not present on the true 45.
    Your mixdown will have an edit at 0:52 and a 20-beat
    fade from abut 3:05 to about 3:15.

This faulty edit appears on the following CDs:

• Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies - 1976
      (1989, terrific sound - this is the CD that the edit
      was created for)
    • Rhino's Billboard Top Hits
      (1991, sound nearly identical to above CD)
    • Rhino's In Yo' Face Vol. 3 (1993;
      digitally identical to above Rhino CD)
    • Time-
      Life's Sounds Of The Seventies - Seventies Dance
      Party - 1975-1976
      (1997, different EQ than above 2
      Rhino CDs)
    • Razor & Tie's Super '70s (2-
      CD set, 1995; mastered by Steve Hoffman, sounds superb,
      although all of the above faulty CDs sounds pretty darn
      good)
    • Rhino's Millennium Funk Party
      (1998; terrific track listings and lousy sound on all
      of Rhino's Millennium CDs - I avoid them when I
      can)
    In terms of sound quality, all of the
    faulty edit CDs sound better than all of the album
    version CDs, both no-white-boy CDs, and both true 45
    CDs. Too bad it's the wrong edit.

And there you go. Your results may vary!

Bumping this old thread to ask if the single-disc
    edition of R&T's "Suddenly 70s" (mine has a 2001
    copyright date on it) uses the same transfer of "Play
    That Funky Music" as its single-disc counterpart?

Am I right to assume the single-disc is entirely
    sourced from the Steve Hoffman version but with
    additional EQ/volume alterations?

crapfromthepast
    MusicFan
    MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2020 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

That's exactly correct. For "Play That Funky Music," my notes say that the 1-CD version has volume increases of 2.5 dB, 1.5 dB, and 2 dB, in discrete blocks, compared to the 2-CD version.

LunarLaugh
    MusicFan
    MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2020 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote LunarLaugh

crapfromthepast wrote:
    That's exactly correct. For
    "Play That Funky Music," my notes say that the 1-CD
    version has volume increases of 2.5 dB, 1.5 dB, and 2 dB,
    in discrete blocks, compared to the 2-CD version.

Thanks! Good to know.

garye
    MusicFan
    MusicFan

Posted: 18 February 2020 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote garye

I have a copy of the radio edit with "White Boy" edited
    out and replaced with vocals lifted from other parts of
    song. Sounds extremely choppy! If anyone evers wants to
    hear a hack job on a fun record PM me!
    Back to Top View garye's Profile Search for other posts by garye

eriejwg
    MusicFan
    MusicFan

Posted: 20 February 2020 at 12:23am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Gary, I've heard that edit! Did any radio station actually
    play that censored version??

Erie, PA
    Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

garye
    MusicFan
    MusicFan

Posted: 20 February 2020 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote garye

I never heard the edit played in Houston where I was
    living at the time.
    I have heard some stations in the Southeastern States
    played the edit, but that is more anecdotal then knowing
    for sure.
    If anyone in radio ever played the edit, please share!
    Back to Top View garye's Profile Search for other posts by garye

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
    If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
    Printable version Printable version