Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: CUTTING CREW - "I’ve Been In Love Before" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 October 2008 at 11:44pm | IP Logged Quote abagon

CUTTING CREW - "I've Been In Love Before"

This song is continued with the previous track "One For The Mocking Bird" on the U.S. LP "Broadcast" and on the U.K. LP each.
The total actual running time of the U.S. LP is (9:58). The U.K. LP's total running time is (9:36)
This song's running time except the crossover is (5:28) about on the U.S. LP, and the U.K. LP is (5:08) about.
However, both mixes are the same but the length of this song differs between U.S. and U.K. releases.

The actual U.S. commercial 45 running time is (5:26), the listed time is "5:27" and the description of "Mixed by Steve Thompson/Michael Barbiero" on the record label.
I could make the 45 version from the U.S. "Broadcast" LP. The voice before "Four" of "One Two, One Two Three Four" voices in the intro is located at 0:12.8. And delete about 2 seconds from the end plus do the light fadeout once.

I have also the U.K. release "12. "Extended Version" of this song has the listed time of "7:00", and "Single Version" has the actual running time of "4:30".

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 January 2009 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Nearly every CD in the database is missing part of the LP introduction, except for the Broadcast CD (Virgin 90573 and 86002) where the previous song on that disc tracks over the introduction. Does the 3:55 DJ edit, which appears on the Big 80's - Pop! CD (Rhino 74290), contain the complete, untainted introduction?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 08 January 2009 at 9:33pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 January 2009 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I'm not sure I've ever heard the "complete untainted introduction", but the intro on the promo single has definitely been edited.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 January 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I ordered a copy of the VH1 CD last night from Amazon. Should be here within a week and can let you know, Todd.

Edited by eriejwg on 09 January 2009 at 8:40am
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2009 at 1:33am | IP Logged Quote abagon

Pat:
The current comment for the "Broadcast" CD of this song is indicated "(5:31) Virgin 90573 and 86002 on the database." I guess that the U.K. source CD is shorter than the U.S. source CD.

--abagon

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Luckily, the "LP Version" contained on my promo CD single for this song features an untainted, fades-in intro. There are no listed times, and here are the details:

Cutting Crew-"I've Been In Love Before" (PRCD 2076)
1-(Edit Version) (actual time 3:58)
2-(LP Version) (actual time 5:25)

On this disc, the "four", from the "one, two, three, four" early song segment that Abagon references above, occurs 0:14 1/2 seconds after the start of the song's LP Version fade-in.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I think I got lost in the thread (maybe it's a bad brain night for me!).

Does the DJ edit contain the countdown or no? I don't remember hearing that countdown on any local radio station, but they might have cued past it.

FYI, it appears the "single version" on the 12" Abagon mentioned has a longer intro & fades a little later than the actual DJ version but does not have the countdown.

(The DJ edit fades just as the lyrics end, while the "edit" on the 12" lets the guitar solo play a while before fading.)

Does that agree with your findings, Abagon?

Eriejwg, did you ever receive that CD? If so, what did you find?

Edited by NightAire on 25 April 2010 at 9:34pm

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2010 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Yes, I did get the CD. There is no countdown on the 3:55 DJ edit on the VH-1 CD.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2010 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote abagon

NightAire wrote:
FYI, it appears the "single version" on the 12" Abagon mentioned has a longer intro & fades a little later than the actual DJ version but does not have the countdown.

(The DJ edit fades just as the lyrics end, while the "edit" on the 12" lets the guitar solo play a while before fading.)

Does that agree with your findings, Abagon?

I don't have the DJ edit. So I'm not able to compare the DJ edit with the U.K. single version.
The U.K. single version on the U.K. 12 inch doesn't surely have the countdown. (intro time :26)

--abagon

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Eriejwg, thanks for the reply. That's the way I remember the song on the radio, but I have this in-every-other-way-the-DJ-edit that DOES have the countdown... I gotta figure out where I got this thing from...

Abagon, your description matches what I have here. Thanks for the input!

I have a survey running on my Facebook page right now asking if people remember a countdown on the radio. One says he does, another (a DJ at the time) said, "only when I forgot to cue past it"). I'm asking him for more info. :)

Does anybody have the original DJ 45 to check the intro... and is there any chance there were two pressings, one w/o the countdown after the label discovered everybody was cuing past it?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2010 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Notes:

The 'edit version' on US promo PRCD 2076 is an audibly punchier mastering than the 'lp version' on the same promo disc.

The 'lp version' has the full fade-in count-off.

The 'edit version' first second of music cannot be recreated from the 'lp version'

Andy

Edited by AndrewChouffi on 26 April 2010 at 12:28pm
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

VWestlife
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2021 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote VWestlife

Were the US and UK edits of "I've Been in Love Before" different?

The "Official Video", as played on VH1, has a cold open with no countdown or overlapping orchestra sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMwtwd5KGaA

(The sound is heavily compressed, but that's probably due to VH1's processing for broadcast.)

But the "Edit" version that's on the UK "The Best of Cutting Crew" CD fades in with the countdown and orchestra sound that overlaps the first note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld-PpudeoL8

(The channels swap at 0:12 -- editing mistake?)

Edited by VWestlife on 09 October 2021 at 8:29am
Back to Top View VWestlife's Profile Search for other posts by VWestlife Visit VWestlife's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2021 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I'm still unsure what the "US LP version" is. My version of the Broadcast CD (now sold) included the "UK LP version".

I'll detail what I know.

"LP Version" from track 2 of promo CD single Virgin PRCD 2076 (printed 5:27, actual 5:27 or so)

The version here fades in with an orchestra tuning sound. The first beat of the song is at 0:16. The first word "catch" is at 0:42. The fade starts at 4:59 and ends at 5:27. Those late-'80s fades go on forever...

Is this the US LP version?

UK LP version (5:07)

On my version of Broadcast, the orchestra tuning starts later and is buried under the fade of the previous track on Broadcast, "One For The Mockingbird". Specifically, the first few seconds of tuning from the promo CD single "LP version" are absent from the end of "One For The Mockingbird" on my Broadcast CD.

The first beat of the song is at 0:00 (a little of the orchestra tuning is heard right before the beat). The first word "catch" is at 0:27. The fade starts at 4:43 and ends at 5:07. The tail of the fade extends about 6 beats longer on the promo CD single than on my version of Broadcast.

The version on Priority's Rock Of The '80s Vol. 7 (1993) uses the same analog transfer as my version of Broadcast.

The version of Time-Life's 2-CD Classic Soft Rock Vol. 8 Ordinary World (2007) is a digital clone of my version of Broadcast (about 2.5 dB louder) and included additional material at the beginning that is from the end of "One For The Mockingbird". Here, it fades up quickly right before the count of "one".

"Edit Version" from track 1 of promo CD single Virgin PRCD 2076 (printed 3:55, actual 3:58)

The first beat of the song is at 0:00. It's a nice clean downbeat here, with no orchestra tuning artifacts, so there's no way to extract this from the LP version. There's an edit that shortens the intro. I think the edit is on a snare hit with a breathy sound at 0:08, which is where a shaky sound starts in the left channel. The first word "catch" is at 0:14. The fade starts at 3:44 and ends at 3:58.

The left and right channels are swapped compared to the LP version (including all of the LP versions listed above).

There's a different analog transfer on PolyTel Canada's On Top (1988), but that disc is even more rare than the promo CD single.

Previously unreleased edit on 2003's Best Of (4:02)

This includes a portion of the orchestra tuning from Broadcast. You can hear the very end of the keyboard line from "One For The Mockingbird".

The first beat of the song is at 0:05. The first 0:12 of the song has the left/right channel configuration of the LP version. At 0:12, the left/right channels flip. After 0:12 the left/right channels match the "Edit Version". There's an edit at 0:12 and possibly another one on the snare hit with a breathy sound at 0:13. The first word "catch" is at 0:18. The fade starts at 3:49 and ends at 4:02.

The mastering on Best Of is great, with excellent source material, a very nice EQ, no evidence of added noise reduction, and a dynamic range like it was 1986.

It differs from the "Edit Version" in that the opening note and intro aren't clean, like on the "Edit Version", and the left/right channels are swapped in the first 12 seconds of the song.

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 February 2022 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

1st single & video version (4:30) - Begins with cold open, no orchestra fading out, so cannot be recreated from the LP version. Per Discogs, this version was released in December 1986 in the UK, continental Europe, Australia & New Zealand. It was also released in Italy circa April 1987, and Japan in December 1987. My copy is from the German CD High Life - Da geht die Post ab! and has weak treble.

The 1987 "Edit Version" as described by Ron I think was just edited down from that first single version, and was released in November 1987 in the UK & Ireland, and on US promo 45s. US & Canada retail 45s ended up with the full 5:25 LP version.

I determined that the Best Of edit can be recreated from the album version (+ the end of the preceding track), although I don't know why anyone would want to do that again.

The Broadcast album has been released with several tracklists, and no one on Discogs or elsewhere has really sorted it all out yet. You can't tell by just the artwork/credits, catalog number, or format. One of the things that changes is the placement of the boundary between tracks 2 & 3 on CD. Some put it before the count-off and some put it after. Some releases have the original Tim Palmer mixes of tracks 1, 2, and 6. Some replace all three with Shelly Yakus remixes. Some replace only 1 & 2 with Shelly Yakus remixes, but keep the Tim Palmer mix of track 6.

Edited by mjb50 on 04 February 2022 at 10:15pm
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version