Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Dr. Feelgood" - Motley Crue Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 October 2008 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The actual commercial 45 run time of Motley Crue's "Dr. Feelgood" is 4:50. (Timing info comes courtesy of our extremely helpful fellow Top 40 music on CD collector abagon. The printed record label time is 4:51.) I post this because database CD entries containing this song range from 4:40-4:50.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

As far as we know, the LP version is the single and the promo mix, since they're all basically the same length, yes?

I ask in part because I know some of the tracks on "Decade of Decadence" are remixed and also because it seemed like labels loved to slightly remix every single single for radio.

(I should clarify that I've never come across any mix differences, but I haven't looked that hard, either.)

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 October 2018 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Here are the promo CD details:

PR 8108-2
1. non-described version (listed 4:50; actual 4:51)

This sounds like the LP version to my ears, and there are no remix credits on the disc.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 October 2018 at 4:55am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

No mix differences that I can tell either.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2018 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I've now been able to get access to rips of the original CD, the US promo, and the German promo, and all three mixes are identical.

Here are a couple of things that surprised me, though:

1) The LP has an intro ("T.N.T.", 43 sec) you have to chop off to get the "true" single version. I guess it had been so long since I listened to the album, I'd forgotten about that.

2) Although the album was digitally recorded, digitally mixed, and digitally mastered, the German promo appears to be significantly less clipped... AND runs a hair slower! I don't understand how this is possible with a digital master. (The US single has a bit of digital "noise" at the very, very end of the track.. likely a result of making a copy of the LP version and messing with it in a digital editor.)

The LP version is the longest by a few hundredths of a second and goes almost but not quite to silence before the next track kicks in while the US and German promos both fade to complete silence a hair before the end of the tracks (which actually look a few hundredths of a second longer until you take out the silence).

For convenience sake, I'd use the US promo. For absolute maximum fidelity, I'd edit down the LP version. (You'll never notice the difference, though.)

The German single... I don't know WHAT'S going on there... I'd avoid it as I suspect analog tampering.

Edited by NightAire on 18 October 2018 at 11:11pm

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version