Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Radio Disney versions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 October 2008 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Since it has come up a couple times on the board, here is a list of notable top 40 hits that have alternate lyrics specifically for airplay on Radio Disney.

Umbrella (Rihanna)
S.O.S. (Rihanna)
Beautiful Girls (Sean Kingston)
There's Nothin' (Sean Kingston feat. The DEY)
Potential Breakup Song (Aly & AJ)
On The Way Down (Ryan Cabrera)
Irresistible (Jessica Simspon)
Lonely (Akon)
1985 (Bowling For Soup)
Almost (Bowling For Soup)
Right Where You Want Me (Jesse McCartney)
Leavin' (Jesse McCartney)
Get Back (Demi Lovato)
Summertime (New Kids On The Block)
Year 3000 (Jonas Brothers)
Jumpin' Jumpin' (Destiny's Child)
Too Little, Too Late (JoJo)
AM To PM (Christina Milian)
Let U Go (Ashley Parker Angel)
Dance With Me (Debelah Morgan)
Basketball (Lil' Bow Wow) (mutes the word "damn" during Jermaine Dupri's rap)
...and not exactly a top 40 hit, but Weird Al resang one of the lines for "The Saga Begins."

If I can think of others, I'll add them to the list. If anyone is interested in a specific lyrical difference, I would be happy to share what I know.

Edited by aaronk on 05 October 2008 at 3:58pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2008 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

I also remember an alternate Radio Disney version of Lou Bega's "Mambo #5" and as I recall it was available on one of their CDs.
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 2:47am | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

Aaron:

Thank you for bringing this up. Wow, that list is longer than I'd have thought. Some are available, while some have never been issued, outside of radio. Many of those have been on my radar to try and find.

The last one I looked for (and eventually found) was "Beautiful Girls". What's different about "S.O.S."? On this list, why are some artists, who are signed to Disney (or Hollywood) records, being edited? For example, what could Aly & A.J. possibly need changed from any of their music to be suitable for RD?

I know the prozac reference was changed to something else in "1985", but to the best of my knowledge has never been released. I gave up looking, many months ago. I'd still love to get ahold of that one.
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 4:33am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

RichM921 wrote:
I also remember an alternate Radio Disney version of Lou Bega's "Mambo #5" and as I recall it was available on one of their CDs.

You're correct about this, Rich. The official title is "Disney's Mambo #5," and it was included on one of the Disney DVD releases as a bonus music video. This was before I started working for Radio Disney, so I don't know if this was done specifically for us or if it was done for the DVD.

Edited by aaronk on 05 October 2008 at 5:00am
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 4:59am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Steve Sharp wrote:
What's different about "S.O.S."?

Lots of lyrics have been changed for "S.O.S." If my memory is correct, these lines were all changed:

I'm the question and you're of course the answer
Just hold me close boy cause I'm your tiny dancer
You make me shaken up, never mistaken
But I can't control myself got me calling out for help...
My tummy's up in knots so when I see you I get so hot ...
Take on me (uh huh) you know inside you feel it right
Take me I'ma put desire in your arms tonight
I'm out with you...
Boy you know you got me feeling open
And boy your love's enough with words unspoken
I said boy I'm telling you, you got me open...

Steve Sharp wrote:
On this list, why are some artists, who are signed to Disney (or Hollywood) records, being edited? For example, what could Aly & A.J. possibly need changed from any of their music to be suitable for RD?

Well, even some of the Hollywood Records artists "matured" to the point where our management didn't feel comfortable with the original lyrics. The Aly & AJ song, in my opinion, was a ridiculous change. They had to change the line "you're not getting 'til you're getting / getting me" to "...getting to me."

Jesse McCartney's "Leavin'" changes the lines "that thing you got behind you is a amazing" and "you make me wanna take you out and let it rain." I think those might have been the only two.

Jonas Brothers' "Year 3000" was one done for caution. There's a bridge where they sing "I took a ship to the Year 3000," but it sounds really similar to "I took a s**t," so we asked them to resing it "I took a trip to the Year 3000."

Steve Sharp wrote:
I know the prozac reference was changed to something else in "1985", but to the best of my knowledge has never been released. I gave up looking, many months ago. I'd still love to get ahold of that one.

Yes, the prozac reference and "shake her ass" were changed. That one can be found on iTunes, as can some of our other special versions. Also, a few have shown up on Radio Disney Jams compilations.

Here's a couple more that I just remembered: "I Don't Wanna Be In Love" by Good Charlotte and "My Happy Ending" by Avril Lavigne. Although Good Charlotte didn't resing the lyrics, the label sent us a version where the vocals drop out for a second during one of the lines. The RD version of "My Happy Ending" ended up becoming the official radio edit, but she originally did the change for us. Her first single from the album was not one we could play, so we opted for "My Happy Ending" instead, as long as she could remove the line "all the s*** that you do." We were playing that song long before any other stations; I believe CHR was playing "Don't Tell Me."

There have also been some in-house edits done over the years, many by yours truly, because it was too difficult to get the artists to change the lyrics. Here's a partial list going from memory:

Beverly Hills (Weezer)
Get The Party Started (Pink)
Yo (Excuse Me Miss) (Chris Brown)
Who Let The Dogs Out (Baha Men)
Big Girls Don't Cry (Fergie)
I Like To Move It (Reel To Reel)
Caught Up (Usher)
L.O.V.E. (Ashlee Simpson)
Because Of You (Kelly Clarkson)
Walk Away (Kelly Clarkson)
Stick Wit U (Pussycat Dolls)
Don't Matter (Akon)
Don't Lie (Black Eyed Peas)
Macarena (Los Del Rio)
Over And Over (Nelly f/Tim McGraw)
Come On, Come On (Smash Mouth)
Men In Black (Will Smith)
Wild, Wild West (Will Smith)
Absolutely (Story Of A Girl) (Nine Days)
Crazy (Gnarls Barkley)
Jenny From The Block (Jennifer Lopez) (same as "No Rap Version" but the "Heaven & Hell Is On Earth" sample on the intro is edited off)
Come On Over, Baby (Christina Aguilera)
What A Girl Wants (Christina Aguilera)
Summergirls (LFO)
Good Vibrations (Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch)
Do The Bartman (The Simpsons)
C'est La Vie (Bewitched) (pretty sure this wasn't a re-sing, but it was also before my time at RD)

Edited by aaronk on 05 October 2008 at 3:18pm

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

Wow.

Aaron, is it ok if I revist this thread, from time to time, or ask individual questions about individual songs?

The first time I heard the LP version of "My Happy Ending" I almost s***, too, from shock. The profanity, seemingly out of nowhere, in a slow pop/rock song, stunned me.

Because of this precedent with Avril Lavigne, I was less shocked when she dropped the f-bomb in "Girlfriend". However, I found a cleaner version that was apparently serviced in Canada where she sings "the one and only princess".

Did RD ever play "Girlfriend" in any form?
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Hey, that's interesting about the changed lyrics on "Girlfriend." No, we never played any version of this song due to lyrical content. And yes, feel free to ask away. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Edited by aaronk on 05 October 2008 at 2:39pm

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I haven't programmed in almost 10 years, and it's been several years since I've even worked at a CHR so many of aforementioned songs are unfamiliar to me (the stations I do engineering for now are classic rock, country, talk & AC) but I made my share of "station edits" in my day. A couple that come to mind were..

Touch It-Monifah (got rid of the "dark night at Dakota house" rap at the intro & bridge)
You OUghta Know & Hand In My Pocket-Alanis Morissette (cleaned up the record company edits)
Building A Mystery-Sarah McLachlan (was proud of this one...we played the live Lilith Fair version as a recurrent...excised the f-'ed up man part)
Champagne Supernova-Oasis (didn't like the mix of the promo version, edited the album version)
Numerous shortening of overly long songs and/or removal of boring parts.

We were serviced with a radio edit of "Get The Party Started" where kissing my a** was edited to sound like kissing my hands.

One song no one's mentioned I've heard various edits on is "Rockstar" by Nickelback. One only edited the line "dress my --- in the latest fashion", others removed the drug references and the word "vassals". The highly-edited one is what gets played on Jones' hot AC syndicated channel which one of our local stations runs at night & on weekends. They play the unedited version when they're local. I'm guessing these are on the HitDiscs (I miss working at stations that play currents!)?

Edited by Hykker on 05 October 2008 at 5:10pm
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Aaron,
what was objectionable in B*Witched's "C'est La Vie" - was it the line "playing with his toy"? anything else?

I recall hearing this on RD and if I recall correctly, they just substituted one whole verse for another instead of editing a line or two. (But my memory could be foggy on this.)
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 October 2008 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdisonLite, honestly we had stopped playing it by the time I started working there. I don't even know if I've heard the RD Edit of this one. I want to say that the line "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" was removed, but there might have been more. Again, I'm only guessing this was an edit rather than a re-sing.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 November 2010 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Just thought of another one that I think was done exclusively for Radio Disney: "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz. The line was changed from "open up your plans and damn you're free" to "open up your plans and then you're free." I often use this version at weddings, just for the heck of it.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 November 2010 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Aaron, do you recall what lines were taken out of these 2:

Because Of You (Kelly Clarkson)
Stick Wit U (Pussycat Dolls)
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 November 2010 at 12:52am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, I was the one who edited those two. Looking at the lyrics, I took out the following from "Because Of You":
And now I cry
In the middle of the night
For the same damn thing

"Stickwityou":
I got you, we'll be making love endlessly

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2010 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Is the Jason Mraz track available on any of the Radio Disney collections?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote Loveland

aaronk wrote:
C'est La Vie (Bewitched) (pretty sure this wasn't a re-sing, but it was also before my time at RD)

That is something I will never understand. If you find the song objectionable, Radio Disney et al, don't play it. Don't any of these artists have any artistic integrity? What's the point of changing the song's original meaning / intent?

About B*Witched's "C'est La Vie": At the time no one ever noticed it (although I certainly did right away), the song is about sex, specifically oral sex. It's spelled out in the lyrics, but you know, most people never listen to the lyrics.

Sample lyrics:
Is it very big? Is there room for two?
I'll show you mine, if you show me yours

Gotta let me in
Let the fun begin
I'm the wolf today
I'll huff I'll puff
I'll huff I'll puff I'll BLOW you away

Do you play with the girls, play with the boys?
Do you ever get lonely playing with your toys?
c
I'll show you mine, you show me yours

And of course the music video features some reversed sexual harassment and some light B&D.   :P

Edited by Loveland on 15 May 2019 at 8:18am
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

On a side note you can add the following two major top 10 hits to the RD pipeline:

All About The Bass Meghan Trainor and The Heart Wants What it Wants by Selena Gomez. If I recall these two were on a 2015 release on CD.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Radio-Disney-Music-Awards/re lease/7330123

Not sure about the other RD versions you list above whether they made it to CD or not...anyone know where to find them on CD? Apparently there are Radio Disney James discs from 1 to 12 that I now have to get lol. For those who are curious, they do have the Disney Mambo #5. I wasnt aware anything needed to be censored in this song though...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Radio-Disney-Jams-Vol-2/rele ase/9263962

The funny thing is the All About the Bass song's RD version took the entire message out of the song. I think Meghan was asked directly to re-record it with the new lyrics just so it could get played on Disney and help her get to #1.

Edited by PopArchivist on 15 May 2019 at 8:29am
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

That's exactly right, PopArchivist. It had nothing to do with artist integrity. Yes, it's an art, but at the end of the day, those artists also knew it was a business, and they were in their profession to make money. If they could build a fan base and sell their art to a young audience, most of them would do it, hence the reason for providing Radio Disney with ultra-safe song versions. They also knew that the kids' moms would be listening along with their children and had the power to spend money. For the artists who were too big or too busy to re-sing the lyrics, sometimes the record label would provide an edit. Other times, I was personally tasked with creating an edit that could be aired (during the 2003-2008 time frame).

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I have a version labeled as the A/C edit where she re-
recorded part of the lyric. This was serviced on TM's
Prime Cuts at the time.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Major top 40 hits which have RD versions available on RD Jams Vol 1-12

Lou Bega      Disney Mambo #5 (A Little Bit Of...)
Debelah Morgan      Dance With Me (Radio Disney Edit)
Vitamin C      Graduation (Friends Forever) (Radio Disney Version)      
Akon               Lonely (Radio Disney Edit)
Aly & AJ      Potential Breakup Song (Radio Disney Edit)
Jesse McCartney Leavin' (Radio Disney Version)
Hot Chelle Rae      Tonight Tonight (Radio Disney Version)
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Loveland wrote:

That is something I will never understand. If you find
the song objectionable, Radio Disney et al, don't play
it. Don't any of these artists have any artistic
integrity? What's the point of changing the song's
original meaning / intent?
aaronk wrote:
That's
exactly right, PopArchivist. It had nothing to do with
artist integrity. Yes, it's an art, but at the end of
the day, those artists also knew it was a business, and
they were in their profession to make money. If they
could build a fan base and sell their art to a young
audience, most of them would do it, hence the reason for
providing Radio Disney with ultra-safe song versions.
They also knew that the kids' moms would be listening
along with their children and had the power to spend
money.

Aaron pretty much nailed it. Also, those kids' mothers
likely had veto power over what those kids listened to,
and the Disney folks knew that and programmed
accordingly.

Not really sure what you mean by "artistic integrity",
but it's a fine line that programmers have to walk at
times in playing the hits and keeping it "family
friendly". Unfortunately, some artists seem to feel the
need to be "edgy", and include language or subject matter