Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Byrds - EIGHT MILES HIGH Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 September 2008 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Pat, you state that the Original Singles 1965-67 early pressings had the commercial 45 version but the remastered pressings include the LP version. Is the LP version on the remastered pressing stereo or mono?

thanks.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 September 2008 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I only own the remastered version which contains the LP version and it is mono.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

is there any way to differentiate the 'early pressing' cd
from the later pressings?......maybe a ring number?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 September 2013 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i just bought the cd the byrds 'the original singles 1965-
1967 volume 1' issued as columbia 37335 and it has the ring
groove numbers 'DIDP-070500' on it and it contains the non
drum roll ending....does anyone own the cd version WITH the
drum roll ending?...if so....could they list the inner ring
numbers?

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 September 2013 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

I've got you covered, edtop40. :-) Just e-mailed you directly w/ all the info you'll need to obtain a first pressing of that Byrds CD, complete w/ links to ones I found on-line, which you can purchase immediately, and at a reasonable price...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2013 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

okay.....so i took another one for the team!!.....with the
help of 80smusicfreak, i bought the byrds 'the original
singles 1965-1967 volume 1' which was pressed in japan and
it STILL doesn't have the correct drum roll ending of
'eight miles high'.....even with all good idea/suggestions
we can't find an 'original version' that has the correct
drum roll ending.....pat, what does your cd contain in the
run out groove.....this pressed in japan cd contains 'CK-
37335-A1C32'.....but you have to read that from the
underside of the cd......

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2013 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Ed, whatever you do, avoid the 2012 Sony Japan Original Singles A's & B's 1965-1971 2-CD set. A good-quality needledrop of a clean original 8MH 45 or the Columbia Hall Of Fame reissue 45 will easily trump the sound quality of the track on this CD (which has very little bottom end and is quite compressed.) In addition, the end is faded out a little more agressively than it is on the 45, making the final drum roll less obvious.

Either this CD track is sourced from a very poor tape or it's a needledrop. Whatever the source, the bottom line is that 8MH sounds really disappointing on this set.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 September 2013 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Ed, as stated above, I only own the 2nd pressing of "The Original Singles 1965-1967" which features the LP version i.e. without the ending drum roll. The matrix number is DIDP 070500    1.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2013 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

then, how do you know that the originally issued cd has the
correct version, as you state in the db?

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2013 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Just to clarify for fellow board members, before I posted my response to edtop40 six days ago, I read this thread from the beginning, where davidclark first mentioned Pat's notation in his listings re: "Eight Miles High" on CDs of The Original Singles 1965-1967, Volume 1. Since I'm not an on-line database subscriber, I checked my copy of the 10th edition of Pat's book, and sure enough, there he states for this song & CD, "(Early pressings of this cd had the commercial 45 version but the remastered pressings include the LP version)"; therefore, I assume the on-line database still retains that same comment to this day...

While I've owned The Original Singles 1965-1967, Volume 1 on cassette for some 25+ years now, I admit I don't have have any pressing of it on CD. But as I've mentioned here previously, I travel all over the northeast, scouring used record stores for vintage/audiophile/collectible CDs; the ones I don't keep for myself I end up selling or trading to my brother, who does quite well selling them on eBay, and elsewhere. Anyway, point being, I immediately remembered that The Original Singles 1965-1967, Volume 1 was indeed one of the first CDs released on the U.S. market circa 1983-84, as I'd found a vintage Japan-for-U.S. pressing of that very title about two years ago, which would make that version the first - and therefore, unquestionably meet Pat's criteria of "early", when looking for a copy w/ the 45 version of "Eight Miles High", w/ the drum-roll ending. Alas, I elected to give that copy to my brother at the time (who's long since sold it), and I admit that before letting him have it, I didn't cross-check the top 40 hits on the CD w/ the info in Pat's book, nor did I actually listen to it - so I don't know for sure which version of "Eight Miles High" was on it...

But going under the assumption that Pat's book/database note was accurate, after reading edtop40's post six days ago, I knew that I could help him. It was clear to me from the matrix info that he gave in his post that he certainly didn't have a first pressing of Original Singles, so I checked for him on eBay, and noticed that there were at least three copies of the original Japan-for-U.S. pressing on Columbia CK 37335 being offered. So I e-mailed him directly, explaining to him what he needed to look for, and steered him toward those three early copies... :-)

edtop40 wrote:
okay.....so i took another one for the team!!.....with the help of 80smusicfreak, i bought the byrds 'the original singles 1965-1967 volume 1' which was pressed in japan and it STILL doesn't have the correct drum roll ending of 'eight miles high'.....even with all good idea/suggestions we can't find an 'original version' that has the correct drum roll ending.....pat, what does your cd contain in the run out groove.....this pressed in japan cd contains 'CK-37335-A1C32'.....but you have to read that from the underside of the cd......

Well, all I can say is, there's no question you now have a first pressing of that CD, ed - and honestly, I'm very surprised (and disappointed) to learn it didn't have the correct version of "Eight Miles High" that you were looking for! I can definitely cite plenty of other examples where the first pressings of certain CDs contain different versions of a song (or songs) on them...

edtop40 wrote:
then, how do you know that the originally issued cd has the correct version, as you state in the db?

Yes, that now becomes the $64,000 question here - and one that I'm afraid only Pat can answer. Perhaps the info he originally got was second-hand, and the CD that person had was actually an import??? That's my best guess, at this point...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 September 2013 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

That information was published in a printed review of the cd when it was first issued which was written by Marty Natchez so if anyone knows how to contact Marty these days he can supply you with the matrix number you are seeking.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 September 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I believe Marty Natchez is still an active member of the Both Sides Now message board (www.bsnpubs.com). Perhaps someone can attempt to get in contact with him there?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

bitman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 October 2013 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote bitman

I have a set called The Original Singles 1965-1971 A's & B's and compared it to a needle drop from what appears to be the original Columbia 45 on You Tube and couldn't detect a difference in the ending. It's from Sony Music Japan International Inc. SICP 3467-8
Back to Top View bitman's Profile Search for other posts by bitman

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2013 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

so bitman, that cd

The Original Singles 1965-1971 A's & B's

contains the drum roll ending?....please confirm....

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2013 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

edtop40 wrote:
so bitman, that cd

The Original Singles 1965-1971 A's & B's

contains the drum roll ending?....please confirm....

Um, sounds like the same Japanese 2-CD set that Yah Shure said to "avoid" upthread, ed...

Yah Shure wrote:
Ed, whatever you do, avoid the 2012 Sony Japan Original Singles A's & B's 1965-1971 2-CD set. A good-quality needledrop of a clean original 8MH 45 or the Columbia Hall Of Fame reissue 45 will easily trump the sound quality of the track on this CD (which has very little bottom end and is quite compressed.) In addition, the end is faded out a little more agressively than it is on the 45, making the final drum roll less obvious.

Either this CD track is sourced from a very poor tape or it's a needledrop. Whatever the source, the bottom line is that 8MH sounds really disappointing on this set.

bitman wrote:
I have a set called The Original Singles 1965-1971 A's & B's and compared it to a needle drop from what appears to be the original Columbia 45 on You Tube and couldn't detect a difference in the ending. It's from Sony Music Japan International Inc. SICP 3467-8

bitman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2013 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote bitman

The Byrds 1965-71 is a 2-CD set. Comparing to the needle drop on YouTube they sound the same. At 3:30 there's a cymbal crash that fades until about 3:33 when the drum roll comes in. However, on both my CD and the needle drop, the drums are at a very low level, but they are there
Back to Top View bitman's Profile Search for other posts by bitman

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 October 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

I did a side-by-side-by-side wave file comparison of the following three mono sources of "Eight Miles High" (8MH):

1) The Byrds Original Singles A's & B's 1965-1971 (Sony Japan SICP 3467-8, 2012 release.)

2) Fifth Dimension (Sony Japan Blu-spec CD SICP 20374, 2012 release.) This CD includes both the mono LP mixes (the mono "8MH" among these) and stereo LP mixes, plus three mono bonus tracks.

3) Columbia Hall Of Fame 33097 reissue 45 (mid-'70s red label pressing with $1.29 list "starburst" symbol.)

A few observations:

**All three of these sources include the full drum roll at the end.

** The track from the Sony Japan Fifth Dimension Blu-spec CD (#2 above) appears to have experienced some tape damage, but otherwise, it sounds pretty close to (#3) the HOF reissue 45, except for its speed. This CD track runs about 1.185 seconds faster than the 45.

** The track from #1 (The Byrds Original Singles A's & B's 1965-1971) sounds horrendous when compared with either #2 or #3 above. Both the top and bottom ends are shaved off, and the shrill middle that remains is compressed. This track sounds bad from the very first bass guitar note.

** The drum roll: A look at a wave file of #1 clearly shows what the ear reveals: the ending is faded out. Yes, the entire drum roll is present; however, the fade begins just before the drum roll itself does, thereby diminishing its impact. This was likely done to mask the noise from the poor source used for this track. The kick drum during the drum roll suffers a 1-2 punch here, due to the combination of the fade and the shaved-off bottom end. This is not the case with either (#2) or (#3), where the intact bottom end and lack of fading allows the drum roll to come through in spite of the low volume. You can feel the beats on these two, whereas (#1) sounds like dull thuds.

I would recommend (#3) first, followed by (#2). Although Sony Japan issued these Byrds CDs at the same time in 2012, the mono sources used for The Byrds Original Singles A's & B's 1965-1971 are not necessarily the same as the ones utilized on the five Blu-spec individual Byrds album titles (which, like Fifth Dimension, feature both the mono and stereo mixes, plus mono bonus tracks, some of which are singles.)

One additional word about The Byrds Original Singles A's & B's 1965-1971: "8MH" notwithstanding, this 2-CD set isn't a complete wash; it's just that some tape sources are not as good as others, and "8MH" happens to be a real basket case here.

As for the older The Original Singles 1965-1967 collection: I bought the original CBS UK LP when it came out in the early '80s and found its quality to be substantially below that of the original US Columbia 45s. This LP was also marred by numerous tape dropouts. Stung by this purchase, I never bought the CD when it appeared later, and by all accounts I've read, it was even worse than the 1980 vinyl LP. Have matters improved at all with this title over the years?      

Edited by Yah Shure on 02 October 2013 at 12:12pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 October 2013 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

The Hall Of Fame 45 single reissues still to this day slay
any of the CD singles collections. And they are cheap, and
easy to find and usually in a lot better condition than the
original issues.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2013 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Hey Pat, I just got this reply from Marty Natchez:

"Pat's recollection of me reviewing a CD of The Byrds' "A's & B's" is inaccurate. I only own the U.K. LPs of Vols. 1 & 2 on CBS. I read elsewhere that both compilations were poorly mastered, so I never even played them. I just looked and can confirm that I don't have the CD in my collection. I'd love to learn the source of Pat's attribution to me for having reviewed the releases."

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 November 2013 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Tom and anyone else that is interested.....I scanned a copy of his review but cannot get it to post in this chat board but if anyone wants a copy, just pass along your email address and I will be glad to forward you a copy of his review. For some reason the Byrds A's & B's cd has entered into the discussion and that is not the cd I am referencing. I am referencing The Original Singles 1965-1967 Volume 1 Columbia 37335 and that is the cd I thought we were discussing in this discussion of Eight Miles High.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version