Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Kiss"--Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 October 2005 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I heard the song on the radio the other day, and it reminded me that the version I have from the import "Now 1988" CD wasn't the 45--right before Jones' final "Kiss" vocal there was a reprise of the instrumental break. I was able to replicate the 45 by removing that part but my question is was that the LP version or some sort of alternate mix (extended single, 12" or something else along those lines).

I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

Doug
Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 October 2005 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Let me reply to my own question by adding a couple of things:

The version I have runs 4:08.

In Pat's 8th edition book, there are two running times for the song (not including the 8:17 remix) of 3:29 and 3:39. The 3:29 version doesn't really fade, but doesn't really end cold either--so I'm wondering about the difference in the run time.

On the 4:08 version, there are actually two different instrumental breaks (and the one instrumental break in the 3:29 version combines elements of both).

Anyone who has an idea, feel free to share.

Doug

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 October 2005 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I am totally confused as to what is being said here. I have the 8th edition of my book open and all running times are 3:29 with the lone exception being a version that is remixed which runs 8:09. Then I timed the 45 which actually runs 3:29 and the label states 3:30.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2005 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

In the book I have, you list the Entertainment Weekly Greatest Hits 1989 version running 3:39 (same with the 1985-1989 EW box set). The other times are 3:29 except for the China/Polydor Best of Art of Noise 8:09 remix.

EDIT: However, upon further review, AllMusic shows that the EW 1989 release's version runs 3:31. So it looks like the 3:39 entries are just typos. So my original question still stands--what is the source of this 4:08 version on the Now 1988 CD?

Doug

Edited by sriv94 on 08 October 2005 at 12:55pm

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 April 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

When conducting a database artist search under ART OF NOISE, I notice the run times for "Kiss" are correctly listed at 3:28 for the two Entertainment Weekly CDs that Doug mentioned in the previous post. However, when looking up the song while doing an artist search under TOM JONES, the errant 3:39 run times for those two CD entries still remain. This needs to be modified.

As for the 4:08 version of "Kiss" that Doug mentioned, perhaps this may have been the U.K. 45 version?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 19 April 2013 at 8:29pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 April 2013 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Pretty sure the Now 1988 version is the UK 45
version. The giveaway is the song snippets in the break -
the Now version uses some songs that were hits in
the UK but not in the US.

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 October 2021 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

I'm a pretty obsessive Art of Noise collector.

These are the only original official versions of Kiss:

• Kiss - 4:08 version only found on the UK compilations Now That's What I Call Music XIII (1988) and NOW 1988 (the 1999 Millennium Series reissue, not the original 1993 release).

• Kiss (7" Version) - 3:29 (almost 3:30) version available everywhere

• Kiss (Art of Noise Mix) - 8:10 12-inch version by the band

• Kiss (The Battery Mix) - 8:16 12-inch remix version by Nigel Green at Battery Studios

Contrary to speculation in the last two posts, the 4:08 version was never released anywhere aside from those NOW comps. The 45s are the same worldwide, containing the 7" Version and a B-side. The USA got a cassette single with the same two tracks. The US promo CD single and commercial 12" have the 7" version and both 12" mixes. Import 12", CD, and cassette releases contain a hodgepodge of one 12" mix, sometimes the 7" version, and one or more B-sides.

Not that there's any need to do this, but the 7" version can indeed be recreated from the 4:08 version by editing out the extended rockin' guitar solo (2:01 to 2:24), replacing it with three sections from the second break (3:20 to 3:28, 3:33 to 3:41, and 3:45 to 3:59). So I think of the 4:08 version as the "original mix", and the 7" Version as an edit of it. But I don't really know the story behind its creation and why it ended up only on the NOW CDs.

Aside from the guitar solo, the breaks in both versions contain a medley of six other Art of Noise songs: Close (to the Edit), Moments in Love, Paranoimia, Dragnet, Peter Gunn, and The Army Now*. The parts omitted from the 7" Version are just additional melodies from some of those same songs.

*"The Army Now" from the 1983 Into Battle with The Art of Noise 12" is represented by the "tra la la" vocal, which in the original song was sampled from The Andrews Sisters' "Beer Barrel Polka (Roll Out the Barrel)"

Edited by mjb50 on 22 October 2021 at 7:01pm
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version