Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: jackson browne "stay/load-out or rosie" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 October 2005 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

need help here guys....

the 45 issued by jackson browne for the song "stay" on asylum 45485 contains the song "rosie" on the b-side........every 45 i've come across with this catalog number has rosie as the b-side.........BUT.........whitburns books all state that the song "the load-out" is the b side.....in whitburns "top pop annual 1955-93" he has the caption "originally issued with "rosie" as the b-side of "stay"...........does anyone have the asylum 45485 45 issued with "the load-out" as the b-side???

Paul Esch
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2005 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Esch

45s.com has a couple of singles listed with the claim that "The Load-
Out" is the B-side of 45485.
Back to Top View Paul Esch's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Esch

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2008 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45 of "Stay" has a listed time of (3:28), but an actual time of (3:15). And to reply to Ed's earlier query, yes, one of my two commercial 45 copies does have "The Load-Out" as the flip. Just FYI, it has a listed time of (5:38), an actual time of (5:39), and actually overlaps the first second or two of "Stay", which can be faintly heard during the fade of "The Load-Out" side of my 45.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

TimNeely
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 May 2008 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote TimNeely

The 45 exists both ways. My experience is that the version with "The Load-Out" as the flip side (B-side catalog number EK-45485-C) is somewhat harder to find than the version with "Rosie" on the flip (B-side catalog number EK-45485-B).

The version with "The Load-Out" on the flip does not have a picture sleeve, whereas the one with "Rosie" on the flip does.
Back to Top View TimNeely's Profile Search for other posts by TimNeely

PaulEschen
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote PaulEschen

Can the 45 version of "Stay" be created by simply starting where Jackson
sings "People Stay" at the segue, then time it out to fade by 3:15, or are
there edits as well?
Back to Top View PaulEschen's Profile Search for other posts by PaulEschen

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Well, you can get close to the 45 version by just starting at that point. The engineer did some slight changes to the mix, so that the beginning didn't sound choppy. For instance, there's a bass guitar that overlaps those lyrics on the LP, which appears to be removed from the mix on the 45 until the drums start. The organ also sounds a little lower and the vocals louder on the 45, but just on those opening lyrics. Other than that, there are no edits. It is simply faded early.

They did the same thing to the fade out of "The Load Out," where Jackson's vocals were removed from the mix. When the "people stay" lyric starts, you can hear it, but it appears to be through another open mic. His mic was obviously removed from the mix at that point.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

As Jackson sings "just a little bit longer", you can start to hear the instruments removed at the beginning start to mix in again...
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 June 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

I saw a cool promo 12" single yesterday: "The Load-Out/Stay" b/w "Stay". I was surprised to see that both sides were in mono. Were there enough AOR stations on AM to warrant pressing these? Or does anyone remember whether CHR stations played the full medley?

I would have bought this but didn't have a safe way to haul LPs back from LA. Here's a pic I found on eBay.

Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 June 2011 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

The 12 inch was sent to AM Top 40 stations, many would play the full song outside of morning drive. I have one of them. CHRs would compete with AORs or other CHRs by promoting "We play the long versions of your favorite songs"
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I brought up in the Jackson Browne - Running On Empty thread that Jackson Browne's Running on Empty album (along with his first six LP releases on the Asylum label) was first issued on CD in the '80s and then later remastered in the late '90s. Since both pressings appear identical on the outside, the only way to tell the difference between an opened copy of either pressing is by looking at the hub of the CD itself. If there's an "RE-2" etched among the matrix numbers, then it's a remastered disc. If no "RE-2", then it's an original pressing.   

On the original pressing, "The Load-Out" (run time: 5:35) and "Stay" (3:24) are indexed as one continuous track running 8:59 and "Stay" ends cold. Yet on the remastered pressing the songs are individually assigned as separate tracks ("The Load-Out" - 5:35; "Stay" - 3:20) and here "Stay" fades out several seconds early!

So my question is, does "Stay" end cold or fade out on the parent vinyl LP release?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 15 April 2013 at 6:59pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2013 at 5:00am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Todd Ireland wrote:

So my question is, does "Stay" end cold or fade out on the
parent vinyl LP release?

Fades on my copy.
Don't think I've ever heard it with a cold ending.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

It's more like a "cold fade" on my non-remastered copy... The music clearly ends but is then trailed by a little over :01 of decaying reverb.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 September 2013 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I've given the two CD pressings of Jackson Browne's Running on Empty a closer comparative listen and am bumping up this thread to make two observations regarding "The Load-Out/Stay":

1) The song contains more reverb on the first CD pressing than what was included on the vinyl LP (just like the case with the track "Running on Empty"). The second CD pressing has the correct vinyl LP mix.

2) As was pointed out previously, the song on the first CD pressing ends cold, yet fades out on the second CD pressing just like on the vinyl LP. This info was never incorporated into the database.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version