Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Let the Music Play" - Shannon Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 August 2008 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Abagon reports the actual commercial 45 run time of Shannon's "Let the Music Play" is 4:35, not 4:38 as stated on the record label. Currently, the database indicates that commercial copies all run 4:38, but I suspect this is based on the printed record label time.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 August 2008 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

I'd have to dig it out, but I'm sure I have a D.J. 45 with this version and a another, which is about a minute shorter. This song marked a turning point in club music on the radio, for me. I was almost immediately hooked, big time, when the PD at the chr station I worked at, asked me to give this a listen.
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2008 at 3:51am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Steve Sharp wrote:
This song marked a turning point in club music on the radio...

W/o a doubt! "Let the Music Play" is the song that is most often cited as launching the popular "freestyle" dance movement of the mid to late '80s, which would later include such groups/artists as Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, Expose, The Cover Girls, Taylor Dayne, etc.; it was definitely the FIRST to become a hit on the pop charts, anyway. There's no denying the influence of "LTMP" in changing the course of dance music during the '80s, as it's often listed as one of the ten best of the entire decade (I have to concur)...

Quote:
I was almost immediately hooked, big time, when the PD at the chr station I worked at, asked me to give this a listen.

"Almost"??? "ALMOST"?!? "Let the Music Play" was one of those songs that I only had to hear ONCE back in early '84 to get me to run out and buy the entire album (also titled "Let the Music Play"), which I did on cassette. And it was worth every penny - trust me, there isn't a bum track on it! In fact, more than 20,000 albums later, that one still ranks in my top 10, all-time. :-) "Give Me Tonight", "My Heart's Divided", "Sweet Somebody", etc. - WOW! Of course, I immediately picked up her two follow-up albums, "Do You Wanna Get Away" (1985) and "Love Goes All the Way" (1986), on cassette as soon as they were released, and I've since added the long-out-of-print U.S. CDs of both to my collection as well. (Hard to believe that the "Let the Music Play" album has NEVER been issued on CD here in the U.S.; however, there is an excellent 15-track import available on the Unidisc label - which I have - that tacks on the 7" versions, 12" versions, and dub mixes of all the album's singles. Highly recommended!) I've actually gone so far as to buy a few of her U.S. 12" vinyl singles over the years as well, although I've never owned any of the 45s. The title track from her '85 album is also a major winner, as is her cover of Foreigner's "Urgent"(!), IMO. To this day, I still get pumped whenever I hear "LTMP" - it's one of those few songs that I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing, lol. VH-1 Classic still plays the video often, and once in a blue moon, they show the one for "Give Me Tonight" as well...

Around 1998-99, as she was attempting a comeback w/ some new singles and later an album (2000's "The Best is Yet to Come"), Shannon made a live appearance at a popular club out on Long Island in NY, where I lived at the time. Of course, when I got wind of it, I knew I was going to be there! Although the performance was fairly brief (only about five or six songs, as I recall, but including "LTMP" and some of her other classics), she sounded as good as ever, and afterward, I had the pleasure of meeting & speaking w/ her for several minutes. I let her know what a classic I felt "LTMP" was; she was very gracious and signed all three of my original '80s cassettes of hers that I'd bought back in the day... :-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

80smusicfreak,

what was the name of the club you saw her at, if you can still remember...i only ask since i live on long island and have since 1993......

and i concur with abagon...my commercial 45 lists a run time of 4:38, but actually runs 4:35.....this info s/b added to the db....

Edited by edtop40 on 25 April 2010 at 8:37pm

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2010 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Is the shorter version on the DJ 45 actually the LP version? Or, the 45 version, simply a minute shorter?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2010 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I just checked my promo copy of this, the short version has a listed time of 3:32. It sounds to me like the same mix as the 4:38 version on the other side.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2010 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

I'm almost positive it's actually shorter. After getting my feedback (and adding it), I BEGGED the PD for a copy. I can rummage around for it, and needle drop it, if there's a call for it (John).

Edited by Steve Sharp on 26 April 2010 at 9:28pm
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Steve Sharp wrote:
I'm almost positive it's actually shorter.

ISTR a time of 3:13 when I dubbed it into our automation, but that would be to the EOM, not total fade-out time.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Does anyone have the details on creating the DJ edit?
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, here are the instructions to edit the 4:35 45 version (from Billboard Hot R&B Hits 1984):

1. Edit out the section from 3:58 to 4:14. (Edit will be on the same beat as the word "let" in both places.)
2. Edit out the section from 3:11 to 3:40. (Edit will be on the first beat of the measure and cuts out the instrumental before "He tried pretending...")
3. Remove the section from 1:48 to 2:05. (Edit will be on the first beat of the measure and cuts out most of the instrumental before the second verse that begins "He tried pretending...")

Your resulting edit should run 3:33, which is also the run time of the promo 45.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

edtop40 wrote:
what was the name of the club you saw her at, if you can still remember...i only ask since i live on long island and have since 1993......

Hey ed, not sure if you ever got an answer to that question, but I saw her at the gay club Chameleons in Island Park in the 90s. Not sure if that's the only place she played, but it was also a short set.It may have been on New Years Eve, can't remember, because in a short period of time, she, France Joli, and Vicki Sue Robinson appeared there.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

edtop40 wrote:
80smusicfreak,

Sorry for the late response, edtop40. It was Heffron's on Route 111 in Hauppauge (central Suffolk Co.), so it wasn't the same gig that budaniel says he attended (not familiar w/ Chameleons in Island Park). In fact, to this day I actually still have a couple of "complimentary admission" cards stashed in my desk that I received from the bar/club for future visits when I went to see Shannon; however, that night ended up being the first & last time I ever patronized the place. I did a Google search, and I just learned that the venue is now defunct (though that doesn't really surprise me). Seems the location was the Hauppauge Theater from the '70s to the mid '80s, at which time it became Heffron's; after about 15 years, the bar/club went under in 2000 (just 1-2 years after I saw Shannon), and re-opened as Brennan's Irish Pub. Apparently the pub closed in '07, and the location is now currently a Chase bank (probably more than you wanted to know, lol)...

I moved to LI in early '91 myself, and left in '01; 10 years in NY was more than enough for me, lol. But yes, I remember you mentioning being on LI previously, and I know we've discussed some of LI's record stores on this board in the past. (I frequented them all in both Nassau & Suffolk during the '90s; knowing what a large music collection you have as well, it wouldn't surprise me if you & I crossed paths at least once or twice back then, but didn't know it.) Still get back down there (and into "the city") at least once a year, and while the number of stores is dwindling, I still always manage to find some good stuff whenever I visit... :-)

Oh, and I can also provide an update on Shannon, for those who may be interested: I met her for the second time just five months ago, in late September of 2012, when she performed two free outdoor shows a day for several days in a row at a fair in western MA. Caught both shows the day we went (first at 3:00 p.m.; the other at 8:00 p.m.); each one was a 6-song/45-minute set, w/ only a slight variation in the set list/order. Of course, she did "Let the Music Play", as well as most of her other hits, including "Give Me Tonight" and "Do You Wanna Get Away"...

Before the first show, as they were setting up the stage and doing a soundcheck, I spoke w/ her manager at length, and he told me she was then working on a Christmas EP that was due around last Thanksgiving, as well as recording a song for an upcoming tribute album to the late Donna Summer. He even gave me a "sneak preview" of one of her Christmas songs that he had on his cell phone, something he claimed he wasn't supposed to do - but he could tell I was a big fan, lol. Also, a cursory search for more info on-line re: the DS tribute album reveals that France Joli is apparently onboard as well (since budaniel mentioned her); have also seen Ms. Joli in concert, and was fortunate to see DS live in 2008 - RIP...

There was a booth set up next to the stage, and after both shows Shannon herself came out to sign autographs & have her picture taken w/ everyone who waited. :-) Some of the CDs of hers that I brought w/ me she'd never seen before (or only heard about), and she actually asked if I would let her take some pictures of them (which I did)! (Oh, and that expanded edition of her LTMP CD on the Canadian Unidisc label that I mentioned in my initial post from 2008 above is now signed, lol.) Once again, I got to speak w/ her for quite some time, and mentioned meeting her previously on LI in the late '90s, although she said she couldn't remember that specific show. When I spoke to her after the first performance, I let her know that we'd be sticking around for the evening one as well, and asked if she might mix things up and perform her cover of "Urgent" during that second one (since she hadn't for the afternoon show), and she said she'd consider it - but in the end, it didn't end up happening... :-(

Oh, and while talking to Shannon's manager again, we suggested that cable channel TV One should put together an episode of "Unsung" devoted to her - well, he smiled and said that they were actually already in talks w/ them to do just that, and that it was practically a done deal! (He said it would take roughly a year to film it, and then air it - sometime this fall, most likely.) In the event you're not familiar w/ TV One's "Unsung" series, it's their version of VH-1's "Behind the Music", focusing on soul/r&b artists (each episode also running 60 minutes); if you're into classic soul/r&b of the '60s, '70s & '80s like I am, this series is definitely a MUST-watch, as I've been following it since the beginning in 2008. So keep an eye out for Shannon's episode down the road! More info here: Official page and On Wikipedia

Edited by 80smusicfreak on 27 February 2013 at 7:57pm
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

Bump!

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Is the promo 45 the same as the LP version found on her 1984 album Let The Music Play? Just wondering.

https://www.discogs.com/release/113057-Shannon-Let-The-Music -Play

On another note the 1989 re-release dubbed the European version and on its own promo does anyone know anything about it?

https://www.discogs.com/release/279492-Shannon-Let-The-Music -Play-1989-European-Remixed-Version

Edited by PopArchivist on 31 May 2022 at 10:06am

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2022 at 1:19am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Good question. The album version does run 3:33...

Anyway, the 1989 European remix (long version YouTube clip linked) is one of the gobs of commercial house remixes of classic pop & dance tracks that were flooding the market in 1988–1990. The vast majority were atrocious but this one isn't too bad... until the piano breakdown near the end.
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2022 at 3:49am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

PopArchivist wrote:
Is the promo 45 the same as the LP
version found on her 1984 album Let The Music Play? Just
wondering.
Your answer is in this thread: https://top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9052

Edited by Santi Paradoa on 01 June 2022 at 1:31pm

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2022 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Link does not work Santi.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 June 2022 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

https://top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9052

Edited by aaronk on 01 June 2022 at 7:13am

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2022 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Thanks Aaron for the correct link. I posted this in a rush
right before I drove out for work early this morning (and
never checked to make sure my link worked).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version