Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Out of Touch - Hall & Oates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 August 2008 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote Fetta

The database lists the version of "Out of Touch" on the Hall & Oates Best of "Playlist" cd as The LP version. This version is actually quite different than the LP version (as far as I can remember) and is the one featured in the video.

This video version begins with a quick edit of "Dance On Your Knees" and then goes into "Out of Touch", which is also quite different from the 45 and LP version. There are breaks in this version that were featured on the 12" Single mix.

I actually always liked this version on the video but never knew where it came from. This is the first time I've seen this version on CD.

-Fetta
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2008 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

I have always loved the video for "Out of Touch" as well as the unique mix of the song that was used for it, which is why it was such a pleasant surprise to finally see it available on cd. The video mix was actually available on a UK 12" single that had long been on my wanted list until the "Playlist" CD came out. Now, if only the video itself was available on DVD. H&O were finally slated to have a comprehensive DVD video collection released in 2004 to correspond with the 2 disc "Ulitmate Hall & Oates" greatest hits set. Unfortunately, it was scrapped at the last second.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2008 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I can remember a bonus extended remix was included on some cassette pressings of Hall & Oates' Big Bam Boom album. (I used to have a copy and I really liked this mix.) Was this either the 12" or video version?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

995wlol
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote 995wlol

The video version was edited together from elements of "Dance On Your Knees" (as noted above), the Extended Remix, and the Dub Version from the 12" single. The Extended Remix that was included on the later casette pressings of Big Bam Boom was identical to the extended version from the 12" single.
Back to Top View 995wlol's Profile Search for other posts by 995wlol

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Fetta

Just an FYI.....There were 2 Volumes of Hall & Oates 12" Collection CDs from Japan that were released a few years ago which feature most of their 12" versions. They were very very pricey but seemed pretty complete (except it did not include the 12" version of "Dreamtime" which is one of my favorites.)

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I didn't even know there was a 12" version of "Dreamtime" -- also a song that's a big favorite. The 7" is longer than the LP length version. So how does the 12" version differ? Is it a different mix? Is it just even longer than the 7"?

Edited by EdisonLite on 13 August 2008 at 9:43am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Fetta

It's completely remixed and made into a "Dance Mix" with heavier drums and breaks in it.    I have a copy that I took from a mint unplayed 12" if you are interested.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

995wlol wrote:
The video version was edited together from elements of "Dance On Your Knees" (as noted above), the Extended Remix, and the Dub Version from the 12" single. The Extended Remix that was included on the later casette pressings of Big Bam Boom was identical to the extended version from the 12" single.

Thanks! Is this the same as the 12" version running 7:37 on the remastered and expanded CD release of Big Bam Boom (RCA/BMG Heritage 58617)?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

An observation and a few questions regarding this song.

I noticed that the version on Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties: 1984 sounds pretty terrible, and has some tape drag at the end of the song. It's not as bad as some instances I've seen, but it's definitely noticeable if you compared the pitch at the beginning versus the pitch at the end. The BPM begins at 114.9 and ends at 113.8, so the pitch/tempo drops by about 1% over the course of the song. Not good.

Curious to know if the other 3:53-ish versions have this problem. The 1996 edition of the book lists Music For The Miracle (Columbia) and I Love Rock And Roll Volume 4: Hits Of The '80s (Priority) as timing at 3:53 or 3:55 - anyone have these?

The true LP version (I think) is on Starting All Over Again (my pressing is from Denmark; I assume the US version would be the same), and the first part of the song has some vocal-like sound effects over the music left over from the transition from "Dance On Your Knees".

The versions that (I think) are the 45 versions start with just the drum machine pattern and the guitar-like bass part playing just eighth notes. These versions are on the 2-CD Ultimate (2004 - sounds best of the 45 versions), the for-radio The A-List (1994, tinny sound), and Madacy's Rock On 1984 Vol. 2 (2005, boomy EQ). They all run around 4:06.

My 45 is buried somewhere in the basement, making it a proverbial needle in a haystack, so I ask:

(1) Does the true 45 start with the initial downbeat, which seems to be missing from all of the above?

(2) How long does the true 45 run?
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

mainrhythm
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 September 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote mainrhythm

3:55 is listed on my 45. I will try and give it a listen later tonight.
Back to Top View mainrhythm's Profile Search for other posts by mainrhythm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 September 2010 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

If nobody beats me to it, I'll time my 45. It does not start on the downbeat, but starts the same way my CD copy starts.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2010 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

I've always been bothered by what seems to be a missing first drumbeat, on every copy of the single version I've ever heard, including a 45 RPM single.
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

mainrhythm
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2010 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote mainrhythm

Mine runs 3:56 and starts like everyone mentions.

(Either I'm just used to hearing the 12" version or it being pitched up on radio but the whole 45 sounds slower to me)
Back to Top View mainrhythm's Profile Search for other posts by mainrhythm

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

I'm bugged by that missing downbeat, too; reminds me of a similar issue with "Ya Mo Be There." :-\

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 September 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Mine is in really awful shape, and there is too much noise on the fadeout to tell the exact time. It's at least 3:55.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Found my 45! It runs 3:56. It also runs at 114.8 BPM throughout, with no drift or tape drag.

Most of the other versions on CD are pretty close to this tempo, except the Time-Life CD with tape drag (noted above), and Realm's Gold And Platinum Vol. 2, which fades about 30 second early.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 September 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote abagon

"Out Of Touch" on the "Whole Lotta.....Rock 1984-85" U.S. CD is the 45 version, but it has a slower speed and a shorter length (3:52) than the U.S. commercial 45. The intro of the CD & the 45 is the same. The 45's the actual running time & the listed time which I have are "3:55" together. (RCA PB-13916)

--abagon

Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Ron S
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Ron S

Was anybody able to find a 45 that was the correct speed and did not drag
towards the end of it?
Back to Top View Ron S's Profile Search for other posts by Ron S

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I think the rule-of-thumb answer is that the 45 versions that run about 3:55 on CD all have tape drag at the end. I can confirm that there's tape drag on Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 6 1984 (1994), and on the following discs that all use the same analog transfer as the Time-Life disc:
  • Cema's Greatest Hits Of The 80's Vol. 5 Power Ballads (1994)
  • Priority's I Love Rock And Roll Vol. 4 Hits Of The 80's (1996) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
  • EMI's Rock 'N Roll Relix 1984-1985 (1998) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
Columbia's Music For The Miracle (1986) runs 3:55, and lacks the tape drag, but has a weird soundstage - avoid this and all of the above.

The longer-than 45 versions, running around 4:10, all lack the tape drag. Any one of these will sound better than the 3:55 version.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 08 November 2018 at 8:04pm

Ron S
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 November 2018 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Ron S

The Out of Touch version on Grand Theft Auto Greatest Hits seems not to have
the drag and it runs 3:53. I was able to find it on Spotify. Too bad it's not
available on iTunes or Amazon Prime.

Edited by Ron S on 28 November 2018 at 4:47pm
Back to Top View Ron S's Profile Search for other posts by Ron S

Page of 2 Next >>