Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Opportunities..." - Pet Shop Boys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 September 2005 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Here's another heads-up... In the 10th edition of Top 40 Music on Compact Disc, the song "Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)" by Pet Shop Boys is listed with a run time of 3:43 on the CD Please (EMI 46271), yet only clocks in at 3:35 on the Discography disc (EMI 97097). I inquired with Edtop40 about this and he informed me his commercial 45 is exactly the same as the 3:43 version on Please. Or put another way... the 45 version and LP version are identical. Upon further investigation, I've observed that the first :08 of the 45 and LP version is edited off the version appearing on Discography, thus explaining why the song only runs 3:35 on this CD.

Does anyone know if this edited 3:35 version of "Opportunities" is a DJ edit? It's conceivable the full intro on the 3:43 version might have been considered a wee bit too repetitive and drawn out for Top 40 airplay.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 06 September 2005 at 9:28pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I have obtained the 12" dj single of "Opportunities" and it is the full length version on both sides running 3:43.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks for the update, Pat.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

who is the moderator..........it's not pat???...........if not, who is it??

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 January 2006 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The Moderator is indeed our main man, Pat Downey.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Just to complete this investigation, I have finally obtained a dj copy of the vinyl 45 of "Opportunities" and it runs (3:43) so there was no promo edit that I am aware of.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2008 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote MCT1

One discographical note on "Opportunities" which may or may not be relevant to this discussion: for some reason, this single was aparently released with two different catalog numbers, B-8321 and B-8330. The 8330 version seems to be by far the more common of the two.

I have an 8330 copy. My turntable is not currently set up, for FWIW my copy has a listed time of 3:44, and the master number X502390 is printed on the label. The matrix number is B-8330-S45-X-503290-P-7. The first part of the number actually has B-8321 crossed out, with B-8330 written next to it. I notice that the B-side matrix starts with B-8330 with no crossout, so maybe the new catalog number was prompted by something that was changed on the B-side, not with "Opportunities". The back of the picture sleeve has extensive production and mixing credits for both sides of the single. Does anyone have the B-8321 version of this 45?
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 April 2008 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

MCT1, all 3 of my stock copies are the EMI America 8330 45 issue. But, one of my "go-to" research books states that the b-side of the EMI America 8321 45 release was "In The Night", while the more common EMI America 8330's flip side is "Was That What It Was." Further, my latest "1955-2006 Billboard Top Pop Singles" book by Mr. Whitburn has a small notation under this title's listing, saying "first 5 chart weeks on EMI America 8321." But I am not so sure as to the accuracy of that statement, however. In 1986, as I've mentioned before here, I bought all of the "Hot 100" new entry stock copy 45s during the VERY first week that they entered the chart, and my 45 copies are EMI America 8330, not the 8321 number. I believe that MCT1's thoery is correct, and that this was simply a "b-side substitution" by the record label. I suspect that very few, if any, 8321 stock copies actually made it into stores, especially here on the East Coast, where I happen to reside.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

jimct wrote:
Further, my latest "1955-2006 Billboard Top Pop Singles" book by Mr. Whitburn has a small notation under this title's listing, saying "first 5 chart weeks on EMI America 8321." But I am not so sure as to the accuracy of that statement, however.

Jim, I can assure you that statement IS accurate! We're just reporting what the actual Hot 100 charts showed for those first five chart weeks. Anyone with access to those charts can verify this fact.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Paul, my apologies - I was very unclear, and all of the following "deep menusha" is specifically designed for you, Paul, in terms of an explanation. I have no doubt that Billboard LISTED the EMI America 9321 stock # for "Opportunities", in those "early chart run" issues of the magazine. What I was actually (and very poorly) trying to say was that I DID, on rare occasions in the 80's, notice "irregularies" while I "scoured the globe" for the EXACT stock 45 #/types of single release info that the magazine stated for Hot 100 entries. I had been "burned" a few times back in the 70's by retail, when I found out that I was sold stock copies with a different # than the one Billboard had listed. One such 80's instance, that I will never, EVER forget, was attempting to obtain the 1988 Billboard #64 hit, "You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart", by the Eurythmics, with its listed-in-the-mag stock #, RCA 8619, during its entire, 7 week chart run. Problem was, ALL stock 45s, that ALL of the retail outlets that I knew of had in stock, were ALL RCA 7615! This song was released twice, and never charted in its original 45 release/mix. It had a listed time of (3:50), on BOTH sides of the original promo 45 we got in. The label # was RCA 7615 (deadwax "7615-7-R-A"). (FYI, I have ALL my referenced 45s right in front of me, at this moment.) Then, a "Chill Mix" remix was subsequently released as a 45. We DID happen to play this remix at our station for a few weeks, and THIS is the version that "earned" the song's Hot 100 placing. Our re-released PROMO 45s have the listed (4:00) "Chill Mix", shown as "Side A", on one side (label # "8619-7-RA1", deadwax "8619-7-RA1-A"), with the original (3:50) mix, shown as "Side 1", on the other side (label # and deadwax are both "8619-7-RA1"). All of my stock 45s contain the EXACT same versions as the newer promo 45s, on both sides, EXCEPT that the "8619-7-RA1-A" deadwax info has a line through it, and has "7615-7RX-A" written to its right, for the "Chill Mix". Same for the other side, with "7615-7RX-B" added to the left of the crossed out 8619 deadwax info. Both sides of my stock 45's label state a stock # of "7615-7RX." For some reason, RCA went back and decided to re-cycle/re-utilize the original "RCA 7615" #, for only the STOCK copies of the "Chill Mix/Original Mix" 45 release, while leaving PROMO 45 copies, for the EXACT same version combo, as RCA 8619! I know all this is VERY confusing and difficult to follow, Paul, but ALL my info here is both complete, and 100% accurate. Please, check the original 1988 Billboard issues - they ALL state "RCA 8619" as the stock 45 #, don't they? And that info was always incorrect, IMHO. All the new promo 45's WERE RCA 8619. But the STOCK copy #'s had been changed back to the original "RCA 7615", for some unknown reason. Paul, even Mr. Whitburn's OWN books have "waffled" on this song's stock # over the years since. My 1955-1994 Billboard Pop Annual FINALLY, and CORRECTLY, state "RCA 7615" as the stock #. But my new BB Top Pop Singles 1955-2006 book has gone back and reproduced the original, 1988 Billboard Magazine error, once again stating that the actual RCA stock # for the song was "RCA 8619!". Paul, what is the stock # for the 45 that Mr. Whitburn has in storage for this song? I'll bet that it's RCA 7615! That is my ONLY point in all this, Mr. Haney, my friend, and I believe the exact same thing is true with "Opportunities", although that error was later "adjusted/corrected", in the magazine itself, by week 6 of its chart run. Hey, are there any openings at Record Research for an old, washed-up DJ? :)

Edited by jimct on 06 April 2008 at 10:47am

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 April 2008 at 5:40am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Hey Jim, no apologies necessary. I'll look into the Eurythmics record when I get a chance. I'll also double check the Pet Shop Boys entry, maybe someone here can verify that the earlier pressing does indeed exist. Interesting to note the different B-side. If it can be verified, I'll make sure the trivia note gives a better explanation. In the end we just want to get everything as accurate as possible.
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 April 2008 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote torcan

Quote:
All the new promo 45's WERE RCA 8619. But the STOCK copy #'s had been changed back to the original "RCA 7615",

-------------

I've got a US copy of the "chill mix" with the original picture sleeve. I'm just curious if the same sleeve was issued with the original single that didn't chart, or the sleeve was just issued with the new "chill mix"? Some sources I've seen list the sleeve's value much higher than other Eurythmics singles of the time. As is the case with any "rare" sleeve from the '80s, I'm just curious as to what the story is...
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 April 2008 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Torcan And Paul, FYI, one of my trusted research books indicates that the flip side of the Eurythmics original RCA 7615 stiff release's stock 45 was "Wide Eyed Girl" (for which I only own a promo 45). Only one of my several "Chill Mix/Original (3;50) Mix" stock/promo 45s has a picture sleeve, Torcan. It states that Side A is the "Chill Mix", with Side B being the original (3:50) mix. So my sleeve MUST be for its 2nd 45 issue - if it was for the first 45 issue, it would've stated that "Wide Eyed Girl" was Side B. I don't know if your pic sleeve looks exactly like mine does or not, Torcan. My stock picture sleeve lists a stock # of RCA 8619-7-RA1 on it, even the the 45 inside it was RCA 7615. Hopefully, we both own a rare collector's item here, Torcan!

Edited by jimct on 07 April 2008 at 12:25pm

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2009 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

To bring back an old thread...

I've just finished comparing the DISCOGRAPHY (3:35) and the ESSENTIAL (3:45) versions of this song and now I'm really confused. First, the ESSENTIAL version says it's the "original 7' version" and not only does it fade in, but the intro is very different from the DISCOGRAPHY version. I do not believe it's just a matter of the intro missing the first :08. The two are just too different for it to be that simple.

The ending is also quite different, with a spoken prologue on the ESSENTIAL version, and a long sustained note-ending on the DISCOGRAPHY version.

If Todd's observation that the 3:43 LP and 45 versions from PLEASE are the same, and Pat says there doesn't appear to be a DJ version, then what the heck is the ESSENTIAL version?

Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2009 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

I believe the Essential Pet Shop Boys disc uses the original UK 7" mix of Opportunities

Edited by cmmmbase on 17 February 2009 at 6:46pm
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2009 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

A-HAAAAAA!
The ol' UK mix thing. Mystery solved - I think...
Thanks!
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

Ron S
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 October 2018 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Ron S

I have the Discography CD and just realized that Opportunities isn't the 45
version on the album. Going to have to get the 45 version from their Pop Art
CD which contains the 45 version.
Back to Top View Ron S's Profile Search for other posts by Ron S

David Pro
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2020 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote David Pro

Robert wrote:
To bring back an
old thread...

I've just finished comparing the
DISCOGRAPHY (3:35)
and the ESSENTIAL (3:45) versions
of this song and now
I'm really confused. First, the
ESSENTIAL version
says it's the "original 7' version"
and not only does
it fade in, but the intro is very
different from the
DISCOGRAPHY version. I do not
believe it's just a
matter of the intro missing the
first :08. The two
are just too different for it to be
that simple.

The ending is also quite different,
with a spoken
prologue on the ESSENTIAL version,
and a long
sustained note-ending on the
DISCOGRAPHY version.

If Todd's observation that the 3:43
LP and 45 versions
from PLEASE are the same, and Pat
says there doesn't
appear to be a DJ version, then
what the heck is the
ESSENTIAL version?

The version of "Opportunities
(Let's Make Lots of
Money)" included in
Essential was produced by
J.J. Jeczalik & Nicholas Froome and
charted #116 in
the UK Singles Chart in 1985. The
version included in
Please was produced by
Stephen Hague. Both
versions have their master releases
in Discogs.

http://www.discogs.com/en/Pet-Shop-
Boys-Opportunities-
Lets-Make-Lots-Of-
Money/master/12956 (1985 recording)

http://www.discogs.com/en/Pet-Shop-
Boys-Opportunities-
Lets-Make-Lots-Of-
Money/master/120106 (1986 recording
included in Please)

Regarding the Please version
of
"Opportunities...", the US and
Canada 7" releases
contain the album version running
3:44 in side A,
whereas the UK and European 7"
releases have the
printed time for "Opportunities..."
as 3:36 in side A,
which would match the edit included
in Discography:
The Singles Collection

Edited by David Pro on 05 August 2023 at 2:44pm
Back to Top View David Pro's Profile Search for other posts by David Pro

David Pro
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2021 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote David Pro

Ron S wrote:
I have the
Discography CD and just realized
that Opportunities isn't the 45
version on the album. Going to have
to get the 45 version from their
Pop Art
CD which contains the 45 version.

The 2003 PSB compilation Pop
Art
has the 3:44 version of
"Opportunities" which is the LP
version appearing on Please
and the US 45 version. That 3:36
version from the Discography
compilation was the UK 45 version
according to the 45s listed on
Discogs.
Back to Top View David Pro's Profile Search for other posts by David Pro

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2023 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

It appears at the original time of release, the Shep Pettibone Mastermix (the "hit" dance / club 12" version) was never released in digital form. I went through all of the releases I could find on Discogs, and of the official releases I only found the edit or the "original 12" which I assume refers to the 1985 version, not the 1986 "hit" mix.

I have one vinyl dub which is decent and I may end up using, but this is my last attempt to find a quality digital source. Unless someone has turned up a linear digital source from the original master tape, does anybody have a preferred CD disc dub of this mix? I know some companies actually do a decent job of transferring vinyl to compact disc; do you know of a good transfer of this version?

Here are all the listings of the vinyl release of the mix I'm looking for:

AUSTRALIA
https://www.discogs.com/release/743840-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opportu nities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

CANADA
https://www.discogs.com/release/677423-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opportu nities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

EUROPE
https://www.discogs.com/release/252459-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opportu nities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

FRANCE
https://www.discogs.com/release/1039236-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opport unities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

https://www.discogs.com/release/1581710-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opport unities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

ITALY
https://www.discogs.com/release/2837651-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opport unities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

JAPAN
https://www.discogs.com/release/904816-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opportu nities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

https://www.discogs.com/release/1667558-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opport unities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

https://www.discogs.com/release/13997564-Pet-Shop-Boys-Oppor tunities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

NETHERLANDS
https://www.discogs.com/release/12560073-Pet-Shop-Boys-Oppor tunities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

NEW ZEALAND
https://www.discogs.com/release/679985-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opportu nities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

https://www.discogs.com/release/743839-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opportu nities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

PHILIPPINES
https://www.discogs.com/release/1941024-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opport unities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

SPAIN
https://www.discogs.com/release/2430632-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opport unities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

UNITED KINGDOM
https://www.discogs.com/release/110040-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opportu nities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

https://www.discogs.com/release/2074520-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opport unities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

https://www.discogs.com/release/3812235-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opport unities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

https://www.discogs.com/release/5781890-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opport unities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

UNITED STATES
https://www.discogs.com/release/27684-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opportun ities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

https://www.discogs.com/release/1656324-Pet-Shop-Boys-Opport unities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version