Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Beatles-"Penny Lane" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 May 2017 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Yah Shure, would you be able to send me a
needledrop of your repro 45?

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2017 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

CJ: Only your third post after almost ten years?? C'mon. ;)

Yes, it was during the "Coma Country" years. I did PM drive from '81-'84, leaving about two months after Storz sold the station, crossing the street briefly to KOMA's former top-40 nemesis, WKY, then returning home to WDGY shortly after Storz had sold it, too. I'd listened to KOMA in the Twin Cites growing up, so was well aware of its huge nighttime coverage, but my first night on the air was still surprising, getting a call from Chihuahua, followed by another from Winnipeg. Sure beat the 10-mile nighttime range of my previous station! Fellow board member Bwci Bo sent me a brief '90s aircheck he recorded of KOMA on his family's living room stereo in his New Zealand hometown. KOMA was an incredibly fun place to work.

Thanks for the BSN update; I used to lurk over there years ago. As far as the trumpet ending getting airplay, Capitol let that cat out of the bag with the Rarities LP, which, of course, would have been released with Apple's blessing. One of my former KOMA PDs owns a station in Bloomsburg, PA and the Rarities cut has been his de facto airplay version for over fifteen years.

With all the various permutations of Beatles product that's been hitting the market during the digital era, I can't see where Apple would have an issue with remix 11 being a part of the crowd; it's certainly just as valid as all the other work-in-progress outtakes. The only apparent difference, other than that the tape appears to be gone, is that it received airplay in two North American countries for a couple of weeks fifty years ago. Assuming the trumpet ending itself might be the crux of the problem, would they not have blocked the similar ending on the Anthology series?

I also think that if Apple were that reluctant to have RM 11 reappear, they would have simply nixed it. That, to me, would have been far preferable than including such an astoundingly inferior representation on nothing less than the biggest showcase yet for a truly milestone album. It sticks out like the amateurish sore thumb that it is.

Why they didn't consult the collector community first is anybody's guess. If they were going for authenticity (which I don't believe was the case), they could have put out the call for an actual aircheck of the promo 45 being played on the air in 1967 - maybe even on KOMA - and the AM quality would have made for a neat historical footnote to the set, providing the listener with a micro-glimpse of what US or Canadian top-40 radio sounded like at the time "Penny Lane" first hit the airwaves. Barring that, it wouldn't have been that difficult to find a DJ to replicate the experience. But that'll probably have to wait until the 51st Anniversary Super-Duper Deluxer Edition.

In the meantime, we're all left scratching our collective heads on one of the stranger technical calls in Pepperland.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2017 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

The UK EMI master for the long promo single of "Penny Lane"
is no longer extant, vanished in 1972. So, unless there is
the US Capitol Dub master tape in the Capitol vaults, it's
no longer extant.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2017 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

KentT wrote:
The UK EMI master for the long promo single
of "Penny Lane"
is no longer extant, vanished in 1972. So, unless there is
the US Capitol Dub master tape in the Capitol vaults, it's
no longer extant.

Where did you hear that, Kent?
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I know there's several incarnations of the 2017 reissue of "Sgt. Pepper". I saw a 2 CD version in Target. It had 2 versions of "Penny Lane" (though if I recall, one was an instrumental.) Did the other have the trumpet solo ending?

If not, what are the other versions of this box set that have it? I guess there are 4-6 renditions, and I think the ones with the most CDs list for about $150.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2017 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Gordon. the Capitol US promo 45 (with the trumpet ending) is only included on the Super Deluxe Edition, which has 4 CDs, plus blu-ray and DVD discs.

And as these things often go, that's the most expensive option.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version