Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Beatles-"Penny Lane" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 July 2008 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45, which is mono and confirmed as Capitol 5810, has a listed time of (3:00), but an actual time of (2:57).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2008 at 2:12am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

My canadian stock copy lists the time as 2:57 and runs 2:57 as well.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2008 at 5:31am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

TomDiehl1 wrote:
My canadian stock copy lists the time as 2:57 and runs 2:57 as well.

My (US) stock copy also shows 2:57. I think the early pressings showed 3:00, but was corrected in later ones. My original copy (which my sister "lent" to one of her friends) was like Jim's.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Does anyone know if the alternate mix of "Penny Lane" - with an extra piccolo trumpet line at the very end - has been commercially released on any CD (here or abroad.) This is the mix that appeared on the "Rarities" LP in the early '80s, a legit release, not a bootleg. And I'm wondering if this mix has been released on a legit CD.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Not to my knowledge. Is the ending on the "Rarities" LP in true stereo? I think I heard somewhere that they spliced the ending on from the DJ 45, which would have been mono. It doesn't sound like mono on the LP, so maybe it was electronically channeled. Does anyone know?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2009 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

EdisonLite wrote:
Does anyone know if the alternate mix of "Penny Lane" - with an extra piccolo trumpet line at the very end - has been commercially released on any CD (here or abroad.) This is the mix that appeared on the "Rarities" LP in the early '80s, a legit release, not a bootleg. And I'm wondering if this mix has been released on a legit CD.

No, the Beatles have kept very tight control over their catalog, Gordon. Nothing can be released without their permission. Only two versions of Penny Lane have ever been released on CD: the stereo version that's on the "Magical Mystery Tour" CD, the blue compilation, and Beatles 1, and the mono version that was issued on the CD singles box set (and the individual 3" CD singles that were issued before that).

Edited by Brian W. on 29 August 2009 at 11:35pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

If no one noticed, the promo 45 version of Penny Lane will make its CD debut on the upcoming 4- and 6-disc box for the 50th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper. It's the final track on disc 4.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7751562/beatl es-sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-album-50th-anniversar y-reissue

Edited by Brian W. on 06 April 2017 at 2:37am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 April 2017 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It will be nice to have that from the master tapes! If I'm reading it
correctly, though, it's only a Super Deluxe 6-disc set, for a total of 4
audio CDs, 1 DVD, and 1 Blu-Ray disc. I wonder if discs 3 & 4 will be
offered as digital downloads like the 2-disc configuration.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2017 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

That super deluxe edition can be pre-ordered currently at the bullmoose website for just over $120. That is the lowest price I have seen it listed for. If anyone sees it selling for less elsewhere please let us know.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 April 2017 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:
It will be nice to have that from the
master tapes! If I'm reading it correctly, though, it's
only a Super Deluxe 6-disc set, for a total of 4 audio CDs,
1 DVD, and 1 Blu-Ray disc. I wonder if discs 3 & 4 will be
offered as digital downloads like the 2-disc configuration.

Oh, you're right, I misread that... it's 4 CDs and 2 DVDs
for a total of 6 disc. There isn't a 4-disc set.

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 April 2017 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Update: Import CD has the super deluxe edition currently posted at $109 plus $4 shipping: http://www.importcds.com/sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band /602557455328

Edited by Santi Paradoa on 07 April 2017 at 6:38pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2017 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Brian W. wrote:
If no one noticed, the promo 45 version of Penny Lane will make its CD debut on the upcoming 4- and 6-disc box for the 50th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper. It's the final track on disc 4.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7751562/beatl es-sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-album-50th-anniversar y-reissue

So is that the "trumpet note ending" version? And if so, is it in stereo?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2017 at 3:35am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

EdisonLite wrote:

So is that the "trumpet note ending" version? And if so,
is it in stereo?

The link I included says it's in mono. I assume it's the
trumpet ending... it says "Penny Lane [Capitol Records U.S.
Promo Single - Mono Mix]"

Edited by Brian W. on 15 April 2017 at 3:36am

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper" box is quite a package, but
sadly, "Penny Lane" is taken from a very poor shape 45.
Unbelievable. I guess they can't find the master tape.
Aaron's recreation remains the best way to hear it.

Edited by Brian W. on 26 May 2017 at 3:19pm

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Brian W. wrote:
"Penny Lane" is taken from a very poor shape 45. Unbelievable. I guess they can't find the master tape. Aaron's recreation remains the best way to hear it.

Wow. It's riddled with dropouts and...

Hmmm.... hang on....

[Digs out the counterfeit promo 45 he bought in 1982 and puts it on the turntable]

Oh, good lord. They actually sourced this track from the early '80s counterfeit promo 45! Those dropouts are in the left channel of the fake 45; the level of the right channel drops for a spell. The original promo 45 was mono, of course, but the poor quality tape transfer on the fake copy left a lot to be desired.

What Capitol did for the SD Edition was to copy the left channel of the counterfeit 45 to both channels and kick up the high end a smidgen. That tick near the end of the fade is exactly where it is on the counterfeit. The wave form of the SD Edition track also matches the fake.

For an expensive, super deluxe edition of one of the greatest albums of all time, this is the best they could do? Disgraceful.

At least Dr. Ebbetts used a mint Remix 11 U.S. promo 45 years ago, and it beats the pants off of this sorry "official" needledrop of a counterfeit needledrop. If Capitol was going to have to depend on an unofficial source, they sure picked the wrong one.

Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 12:41am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

That's extremely disappointing news. Hopefully the other bonus tracks made it worth purchasing.

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 May 2017 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

One of those moments you wish Giles Martin was reading this thread.

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Even if Giles was reading this thread, it's too late now.
The box is on the market.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

I'll add this about the counterfeit "Penny Lane" promo 45: I bought it at a record show in Oklahoma City in 1982, when I was the music director at KOMA. I knew immediately that it was a fake: it came in a picture sleeve which anyone who had bought the original Scranton pressing would have instantly recognized was not the real thing: it was printed on too-wide, less-glossy paper stock, leaving the folded-over inner "seams" one inch wide on each side. The colors were also brighter and washed out. It wasn't at all expensive; I bought it strictly for the novelty of having the version I'd originally heard on the radio on a 45, played it a time or two and filed it away, forgetting how bad it sounded.

As for the record itself, the very basic printing on Capitol's promo labels of the time wasn't difficult to photograph and replicate, and an untrained eye probably wouldn't notice anything about the label on this one not looking legit. The vinyl is of good quality for a counterfeit, although my copy has a bit of a thump-producing valley at an angle to the label for about the last half-minute. Never saw a flaw like that on a real '60s Capitol press.

There were other things that didn't add up: the lead-in grooves on both sides were far longer than anything Capitol pressed in the '60s. The edge of the record was not quite as rounded off as a legit pressing, and the minor imperfections in the playing area weren't typical. The star symbol for the L.A. plant was hand-etched and a little too big.

The record plays fairly quietly, making it apparent that the ticks and pops were imparted from the source disc. The Super Deluxe Edition set actually uses a clean copy of the counterfeit; the obvious signs of wear and distortion were on the original source promo 45.

It wouldn't surprise me if no one involved in assembling the SDE package knew the counterfeit copy wasn't legit. What baffles me is that they took the left channel of the fake 45, the one with all the dropouts. None of those are in the right channel (I re-listened, and the brief level drop was in the left channel, not the right.) Going exclusively with the right still would have sucked, but less so.

The mono "Strawberry Fields" side is a channel-wandering headphone trip on this counterfeit. The right channel starts at about half the volume of the left, until it abruptly rises at "...thing is real" twenty seconds in. There's more where that came from, transforming it into a bit of a drunken-sailor listening experience.    
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

C J Brown
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2017 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote C J Brown

Yah Shure - KOMA 1982? Was that in the midst of the CW era at KOMA? I rode the KOMA sky wave in Arizona during the 60's. Awesome Storz station then. You could be nearly anywhere out west and listen to KOMA at night. Amazing how loud and clear that that station was when driving nights in AZ, NV,UT, NM,CO and many other states back then. BTW many over at BSN are happy with you seeming to have solved the Penny Lane promo mystery. The next question is why? I still think that certain people at Apple did not want this promo version get air play on radio or streaming and possibly become the de -facto go to version for anyone..
Back to Top View C J Brown's Profile Search for other posts by C J Brown

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version