Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Waiting for a Girl Like You" - Foreigner Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 July 2008 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The actual commercial 45 run time of Foreigner's "Waiting for a Girl Like You" is 4:33, not 4:35 as stated on the record label. (These timings are courtesy of Jim a.k.a. "jimct".) Database CD appearances of the song containing the "45 version" comment run from 4:28-4:34, so I post this information for the benefit of those seeking the correct length.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2008 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Now is this the remix version, or the album version. The stock 45 we had in Canada was the album version, while a promo I know that CKOC used in Hamilton, Ontario was a remix.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2008 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

The U.S. 45 was a remixed/edited version with some different vocal work and a longer fade than the parent LP.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2008 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

Jody Thornton wrote:
Now is this the remix version, or the album version. The stock 45 we had in Canada was the album version, while a promo I know that CKOC used in Hamilton, Ontario was a remix.

Actually, I have a Canadian 45 with the 4:35 remix. Maybe there were 2 Canadian pressings for this(?)

This wasn't uncommon. Other examples in the '80s: for Billy Joel's "Keeping the Faith", there were separate Canadian 45s for both the 4:35 album version, and the 4:44 "special mix". The album version came first, followed by the "special mix" a couple of weeks later. We also had two different Spandau Ballet "True" 45s as well. I'm sure there are others I haven't discovered yet!
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2008 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

AndrewChouffi wrote:
The U.S. 45 was a remixed/edited version with some different vocal work and a longer fade than the parent LP.

I don't have the album to reference it, but I thought the album version had a longer fade than the 45. I know there was an edit in the fade on the 45.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2008 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi Hykker,

There WAS an edit in the fade; however the 45 still went on longer than than the album towards the very end.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2008 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Yes - the edit was right on the beginning of the chorus in the background. Lou would sing "waiting for yoooooou-oo-oo-oo-oooouu" - <edit> "I've been waiting for....(sang by the chorus).

This remix also had different keyboard voices on the end of the second verse "Oh I know it's right (bling bling - those were different on the remix - repeated three times.)

It's worth noting that the remix appeared on the "Rocks" compilation LP.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 August 2010 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Good ears - I never noticed the different "bling" voices on the 45!

FYI - I posted this on the Steve Hoffman board. Nothing really new here, but it gives the edit points and my opinions of sound quality. Disclaimer - I posted this before I realized that the 45 was a remix. I thought it was just a straight edit. So disregard any "make your own edit" comments.

Quote:
Recently got some Foreigner collections, did some comparisons among them for "Waiting For A Girl Like You", and am posting my findings. A heavyweight analysis befitting for a song that spent 10 weeks at number 2.

First, if you simply must have the 45 edit, here are instructions on creating the 45 version from the LP version:
  • Keep 0:00-4:04 of the LP version.
  • After the "waiting for you-ohh" line, 1.5 beats before the downbeat, remove the 32 beats from 4:04-4:23.
  • Keep 4:23 to the end; the beginning of this segment has the background vocals singing "I've been waiting for a ..."
  • If you use the Very Best And Beyond CD as your source, your mixdown will run 4:30, with an edit at 4:04.
Note that tail of the fade runs about 5 seconds longer for the 45 version on Records, compared to the comparable LP version on Beyond.

The 45 edit first appeared on CD in 1985 on Records (running 4:32, excluding outro silence). To my ears, it sounds like the source tapes are a higher-generation that what later used on Very Best And Beyond. I know Records was mastered by Barry and gets high praise around the Steve Hoffman forum, but I found it a little muffled, and not as open-sounding as some of the later Foreigner compilations.

I found 6 CDs that use the same analog transfer as Records. All sound pretty close, and all have slightly boosted high end compared to Records:
  • Sandstone's Cosmopolitan Vol. 1 (1992; mastered by Steve Hoffman)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Rock Dreams (1993)
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Totally '80s (1993; mastered by Steve Hoffman)
  • Swaitek's 50-CD-for-radio The A List (1994)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body Talk (1994; digitally exactly 0.1 dB quieter than Cosmopolitan)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties - 1981 (1995; extra compression, diff EQ and about 4 dB louder than Cosmopolitan)

I found a different analog transfer of the 45 edit on Warner Special Products' 3-CD Secret Love (1987). It's got a little more high end, but appears to be from the same source tapes as Records. There are digital clones on:
  • Madacy's Rock On - 1981 (1996; 1 dB louder)
  • EMI's Rock 'N Roll Relix 1980-1981 (1998; 0.9 dB louder)
The LP version first appeared on CD on Foreigner 4 in 1986 (running 4:48, excluding outro silence, according to Pat Powney's book). I don't have this CD, and can't comment on the sound.

It later appeared on Atlantic's Hit Singles 1980-1988 (1988; mastered by Sam Feldman), where it sounds superb, although the levels are a little low.

I think the best-sounding version, overall, is on Atlantic's The Very Best And Beyond (1992; mastered by Ted Jensen). This is a great-sounding disc overall, taken from very low-generation source tapes. I could do without the three new songs that start the disc (I prefer Very Best over Beyond), but the other 14 tracks are great, including the non-hit "Rev On The Red Line" from Head Games. One can quibble with the track line-up (no "Long Long Way From Home", "Blue Morning Blue Day" or "Break It Up"), but overall, I highly recommend this collection for the sound alone.

There are digital clones of Very Best And Beyond on:
  • Time-Life's Body Talk - Moonlit Nights (1996; differently EQ'd digital clone)
  • Time-Life's Guitar Rock - Power Ballads (1999; 1.5 dB quieter; mastered by Dennis Drake)
  • Time-Life's Singers And Songwriters - 1980-1982 (2000; differently EQ'd digital clone; mastered by Dennis Drake)
Finally, there's Atlantic/Rhino's Complete Greatest Hits (2002; mastered by Dan Hersch and Bill Inglot). Overall, a VERY loud collection, as you might expect from 2002. Glaring EQ on many songs. I'm not a fan of this CD. (And again, no "Break It Up"?)

Final recommendation: for the best sound for "Waiting For A Girl Like You", pick up Very Best And Beyond. (Do the edit yourself if you must have the 45 edit.)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version