Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: April Wine "Just Between You and Me" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 September 2005 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Pat, in your book you say that the dj 45's of this song had 2 different mixes. Someone else told me that they simply replaced the French-language portion of the choruses with an English-language portion (or simply edited out the French portion). If that's the case, it seems like they would simply be referred to as edits in your book. So can you please explain what is different about Mix #2 on the DJ45? (And even if the mix is different, did they also edit out the French lyrics?) Is the length shorter?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 September 2005 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

if you need a digital copy of the 45 version, todd made me an excellent re-creation that is outstanding..

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 September 2005 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for offering. I have that recreation of the dj 45 version from him, which is why I'm confused, because it's just an edit, and is about a half a minute shorter (with the french lyrics in each chorus being edited out). But according to Pat's book, he describes the other version not as an edit, or a fade, or even a "version", but specifically a different mix. And he doesn't mention it in terms of a language substitute, so I'm just not clear what it is.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 September 2005 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I only have one dj copy of "Just Between You And Me" which is the English only version which runs 3:30. The information in the book was passed along to me ages ago by a reader and I do not have the French lyric version to compare with the English lyric. Which version is the commercial 45?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 September 2005 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

All domestic CD appearances of "Just Between You and Me" so far have been the LP version, which contains the French verses toward the end of the song. The 45 version edits out the French verses altogether. I've e-mailed you an mp3 of the 45 so you can compare it to your DJ copy.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 September 2005 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

There was a second DJ version of Just Between You and Me sent to radio stations to try to get some Adult Contemporary play. I am trying to find my copy but after listening to it many times in the past it sounded to me like Capitol simply rolled off the highs to make the guitar solo sound less "offensive" to AC radio stations. I don't think it's a different mix, just a different EQ.
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 September 2005 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Bill, was it labeled differently, like "AC mix" or "AC version"?

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Just for my own edification, where do you need to make the edit (the "JBYAM" verse before the French-language verse, or start the edit at the French-language verse)?

Doug
Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

Through the 70's and 80's when Capitol released a version for radio only and not for sale, normally the record number was given an Pro (mono) or SPRO (stereo) in front of it.

Silly Love Songs by Paul McCartney has P-4256 as the long side, and the radio only side has SPRO 8365 added under the record number. Designating that it's a promo only version.

I found the April Wine Promo single which I believe was the SECOND promo. I remember the record guy telling us to "play this one, it's not as hard".

Comparison to the stock copy I have:

The stock copy of Just Between You and Me is 4975 and under it is S97274A. Trail off is S-45 97274-A 4975-Z2.

The promo I'm looking at has 4975 on one side, and S97274B under it. On the other side, it says
SPRO-9625 with S97274B again under it.

The trail off on BOTH sides of the record is SPRO-9625 (97274B)

In listening to it, I'd say both sides ARE identical. In comparison to the stock 45, the SPRO single sounds like the highs have been rolled off to make it less harsh, I can't hear any other difference in the recording. Time is 3:31, just like the stock. No notation that it's a new mix or different mix.

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

Whoops.. there IS a difference between my stock copy and the SPRO copy! At the end of the song the edit is in a different place!

On my stock copy the lead singer never holds the word "mmeeeeeeeeeeee", as that part is edited out.

On the SPRO copy, it's a different edit to make the song 3:31.. so that "mmmeeeeeeeeeeeeee" (which is on the 3:53 version) IS included on the SPRO 3:31 edit.

No french on the SPRO version by the way.

I don't have the original promo 45, Pat will have to check to see if that "meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" is on the other promo 45.

It's on the last chorus right before the end of the song.

Background vocals might be a little louder too on the SPRO, hard to tell, this mix is so damn muddy.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

<No french on the SPRO version by the way. >

Bill, is it accurate to say that no 3:31 version you have has any French?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 September 2005 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

My dj copy of "Just Between You And Me" is identical to the commercial copy (yes Bill, even the ending). Here is the printed informtion on my copy:

Mono side: label states P-4975 with PRO-9586 below it.
runout etching states: PRO-9586-(87274-A)-Z1
Stereo side: label states P-4975 with S97274A below it.
runout etching states S-45-97274-A-4975-Z3

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 October 2005 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

I have never found a 3:31 version with any French.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Reviving an old one, there's mention of the French verse removal, but does anyone have edit points to recreate the 45?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2009 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote abagon

Yes, it can recreate removing one edit part. The range is from 3:10.560 to 3:33.520 on the vinyl LP version. Then the French verse disappears.

LP "The Nature Of The Beast" The actual LP running time is 3:53, the listed time is "3:54" on the LP record label. (Capitol SOO-12125)
The actual commercial 45 running time is 3:30, the listed time is "3:31" on the record label. (Capitol 4975)

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2009 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thank you, Abagon!
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2017 at 12:08am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

This recording has always sounded full of hiss, tape hiss, guitar amp hiss, and hum... am I right that there's not really a "clean" version of this song available and that the noise is all in the original master, or are some CDs better than other on this one?

There's this feeling that if we could go back to the original multitrack it could be cleaned up significantly and this track could really sparkle (not that it'll ever happen that way).

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I just compared the 45 version with the dj 45 version, both the same length and both edit out the French chorus. Bill is right that there's a slight difference. In the DJ edit at 3:04, the singer goes "MEEEEE (held), ALWAYS I know our love will be". But in the single edit, he goes "me (cut), BABY I know our love will be." I'm not quite sure where they did the edit to accomplish this dj one. But this goes under the category of "why bother". This one boggles my mind. So he holds a longer "meeee" and sings "baby" instead of "always". Why did the label think that it would make any difference on radio?

Did anyone determine if the dj promo really has the electric guitars turned down in the mix ... or was it just EQ'd to be less bright and attack-y?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version