Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: More mono finds! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 November 2004 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Got a $2.95 clearance CD today that contains the mono mix of Connie Francis' "My Happiness." I've been searching for the mono mix of this forever. It sounds great! The drums are sure louder and more punchy on the mono version. It's on a Netherlands import called "World Star Gala Volume 1," on the Arcade label, 01 6751 61. It's not a boot -- all the tracks are fully licensed from various labels, among them Polydor, which would have licensed the Connie track.

Also, I was curious to buy another volume of the "Soundtrack" series I mentioned in the other thread, this time "1966 - The Soundtrack." I was pleased to find it contains SSgt. Barry Sadler's "Ballad of the Green Berets" in dead-center mono, from tape, licensed from BMG, according to the liner notes. It sounds excellent. The CD is a two-disc set from Castle Music, a label of Sanctuary Records, catalog # CMEDD 705.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2004 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Found another rare mono mix today -- Jimmy Jones' "Good Timin'." It's on an Australian CD called "Rock and Roll Complete Volume 2," on disc three of a three-disc set, from EMI Australasia, 7243 5 283912 4.

There's a few other hard-to-find tracks on there, too, like Billy and Lillie "Lucky Ladybug" and Boyd Bennett "Seventeen."

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2004 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Tony Watson over on BSN has noted that the mono 45 mix of "Good Timin'," referenced above, has an extra guitar overdub that is not on any stereo version. It's very subtle, and I had to listen about ten times before I could hear it, but he's right. It's most noticeable at about 00:26, right after the line, "lyin' there on the ground (yeah yeah)." Right after the "yeah yeah," you can definitely hear guitar strings being strummed. I listened really hard to the Eric stereo mix, and I don't hear it there.

It's EXACTLY in sync with the piano (I guess that's a piano, anyway), so it virtually disappears in the mix. You can hear it if you listen closely, though.

Tony also says most European compilations, including the two-disc Jimmy Jones "The Anthology" from Castle UK (CMEDD 336), use the mono mix.

Edited by Brian W. on 23 June 2008 at 12:07pm

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 1:46am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Found three more rare mono mixes on an import today. It's a five-disc set from EMI Australia called Complete Sixties, which I got for $19.95 at Virgin Megastore here in Hollywood.

The mono rarities on this one are:

Old Rivers - Walter Brennan
A Hundred Pounds of Clay - Gene McDaniels
Goodbye Cruel World - James Darren
Rubber Ball - Bobby Vee

I've been able to track down around 90% of the early 1960s hits in their mono single mixes now.

I'll add more in August when Rhino releases the new 2-disc "deluxe editions" of The Monkees and More of the Monkees. Each will have the complete albums in both mono and stereo, with bonus tracks... so the #1 hit "I'm a Believer" will make its first CD appearance in mono there.

Edited by Brian W. on 03 July 2006 at 1:46am

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 July 2006 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Brian: Great work on those mono 45 versions - that is hard work. I am ecstatic to hear that "I'm A Believer", "Last Train To Clarksville", etc. is finally gonna appear in mono. Maybe we'll even get some Lovin' Spoonful mono 45 versions sometime soon! Hope springs eternal. :)
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 December 2007 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Whee hoo! I finally found Lou Christie's "Lightin' Strikes" in mono on an European 3-disc comp called "True Sixties" from Spectrum/Universal. I had given up on that one.

It fades a second or two before the stereo CD versions do (it runs an actual 2:56), but I think I could actually fold the stereo version and dub in the final two seconds without it being noticeable.

But anyway, what is the actual 45 length for this song? Whitburn lists 2:44, but all CDs run between 2:56 and 2:58.

Edited by Brian W. on 02 December 2007 at 11:37pm

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 December 2007 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Brian, just FYI, I had previously answered this exact query for you, which you'd asked back in February. As I indicated back then, my commercial 45 has a listed time of (2:44), but an actual time of (3:05). And a nice job by you, Brian - keep huntin' down those hard-to-find mono versions on CD!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 December 2007 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks, Jim. I knew I should do a search and see if I'd asked that before. (And am I the only one that looks at some of my old posts and literally don't remember writing them?)

That really sucks, though... all CD versions are at least seven seconds shorter than the single! That should defintely be noted in the database.

Edited by Brian W. on 03 December 2007 at 12:02am

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 1:47am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

FYI, Boyce & Hart's hit "I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight" is mono on their CD album of the same title as reissued by Hip-O Select. The whole thing is mono... they used the mono album master. I just myself ordered one. It's also on MusicGiants for those that just want the hit song.

Edited by Brian W. on 23 June 2008 at 1:48am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Great work, Brian! It's great to know where we can find some of these rare mono mixes!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Brian W. wrote:
FYI, Boyce & Hart's hit "I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight" is mono on their CD album of the same title as reissued by Hip-O Select. The whole thing is mono... they used the mono album master.

The only place I've ever seen this one in stereo is on Rhino's "Nuggets" series (I only have the LPs, I'd imagine they'd used the same tapes on CD).
Any issues I have on A&M are all mono or (E).
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I have the Boyce & Hart track in stereo on Dick Bartley Presents: Classic Oldies 1965-1969.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Hykker wrote:
The only place I've ever seen this one in stereo is on Rhino's "Nuggets" series (I only have the LPs, I'd imagine they'd used the same tapes on CD).
Any issues I have on A&M are all mono or (E).

According to the database, they're all stereo.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

By the way, does anybody own the Varese "Songs of Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart" CD? I want to know if "I'll Blow You a Kiss in the Wind" is mono or stereo. (I watched their episode of "Bewitched" last night, so now I'm dying to have that song... didn't chart at all, though.)

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi Brian,

I own the CD 'Songs Of Boyce & Hart' and it's in crystal-clear MONO on that disc (probably the only way engineer Henry Lewy mixed it).

It's a good song; does anyone out there have it in stereo? (Or is it a mono-only track like "Alice Long"?)

...Now you need to catch the episode of "I Dream Of Jeannie" where they play "Out & About"...
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Were all the above dedicated mono mixes?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

I've never been able to locate "Alice Long" in stereo.
It appeared on one of the Varese Bubblegum sets in mono too.
I always enjoyed the flip of "I Wonder.." which was the theme to the Dean Martin as Matt Helm movie "The Ambushers."
Too bad "L.U.V. (Let Us Vote)" wasn't included in the Varese "Songs of Boyce and Hart" disc.
Correct about the episode of "Jeannie".
If you've watched them on "Bewitched" you have to see "Jeannie".
The appearance of Phil Spector is worth it enough along with a greatly underappreciated tune like "Out and About."

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 June 2008 at 11:49pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I'll Blow You A Kiss In The Wind (also issued as I'm Gonna Blow You A Kiss In The Wind, both titles could be found on picture sleeves, too) has never been stereo. I'm sure Sony must still have the session master for the song (likewise i do know universal has the session master for Alice Long but never mixed it to stereo because they could never match the phasing effects as found on the mono mix of the song) so i have a little hope of hearing it in stereo someday (then again, the song on the cd really sounds like a disc dub to my ears.... so maybe there was no tape at all to work from). At least releasing a stereo mix of Alice Long and calling it an alternate mix could be justified...the Bewitched version of Kiss is an entirely different recording of the song, as I recall...

Rockdent
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 June 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Rockdent

clips of the Bewitched version of Boyce & Hart's "I'll Blow You A Kiss in The Wind" (a shorter alternate version to the 45)and Samantha's cousin Serena's version can be seen on a certain well-known free video service (rhymes with bluelube).

Edited by Rockdent on 26 June 2008 at 2:05pm
Back to Top View Rockdent's Profile Search for other posts by Rockdent

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The mono mix of "Along Comes Mary" by The Association will make its CD debut on 4/25/11 when the superbu Now Sounds label releases its Deluxe Expanded Mono Edition of their album, "And Along Comes the Association":

http://www.systemrecords.co.uk/association-then-along-comes- association-deluxe-expanded-mono-edition-p-1057610.html

In addition to the mono mix of the album (in its first re-release since 1967), bonus tracks include "Along Comes Mary (Single Version)" and "Cherish (Single Version)," along with the instrumentals for several songs.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version