Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Call Me" - Blondie Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 June 2008 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

According to one of our resident 45 experts Jim, the actual commercial 45 run time of Blondie's "Call Me" is 3:29, not 3:30 as stated on the record label. The reason I post this information is because CD run times for this song range from 3:26 to 3:32 in the database.

This also leads me to a question for Pat... I think a strong case can be made that the parent LP for "Call Me" is the American Gigolo movie soundtrack from 1980. Though I don't have a copy of the vinyl LP, I'm assuming the song has a run time of approximately 8:03 just like on the soundtrack's CD reissues. That said, shouldn't the CDs with the 8:02-8:03 versions in the database contain an "LP version" comment, while all CDs with a run time around 3:29 be tagged with a "45 version" notation?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 June 2008 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

I agree with Todd on the 45/LP notation.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 September 2010 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

A version of this song missing in the database is:

Call Me (Spanish version) 3:29

Chrysalis 21990 Blonde And Beyond

Edited by Indy500 on 10 September 2010 at 7:26pm
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 March 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Nearly all the CDs out there include the 45 version of the song. I'll try to decipher the mastering history.

The first analog transfer is on the US Best Of Blondie CD (copyright 1981), where it runs 3:32 and 142.0 BPM throughout (played with a click track). At the very, very end of the tail, I think I hear bleed-through from one of the other tracks on Best Of - it's not a big deal, but it's still a little weird to hear. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Priority's Rock Of The '80s Vol. 1 (1990; also clips at -3 dB on bottom half of waveform on left channel)
  • PolyTel Canada's Rock With The '80s (1990; digitally exactly 0.33 dB louder)
  • Priority's Mega-Hits Dance Classics Vol. 13 (1993; small amount of compression/limiting added)
  • Cema's Greatest Hits Of The 80's Vol. 4 New Wave Hits (1994; differently EQ'd digital clone)
  • Cema's 2-CD Cool Rock (1995; digitally identical)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 25 Rolling Stone 1980-1981 (1995)
  • Rebound's Disco Nights Vol. 10 Disco's Greatest Movie Hits (1996; way too much compression/limiting added - avoid)
  • Rebound's Classic Rock '80s (1997)
Bill Inglot did a new analog transfer for Billboard Top Hits 1980 (1992), which runs 3:29 at 143.2 BPM throughout. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Rhino's Billboard Top Dance Hits 1980 (1992; digitally identical)
  • Time-Life's Guitar Rock Vol. 4 1980-1981 (1994)
  • JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll 1980-1984 (1994)
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Rock Box (1994)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 38 Celebration (1994; adds a little extra compression/limiting - avoid)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 7 1980 (1995; differently EQ'd digital clone)
  • Warner Special Products' Eighteen Disco Superhits (1996)
  • Madacy's Rock On 1980 (1996; digitally exactly 0.4 dB louder than Rock Box)
  • Time-Life's Another Lost Decade At The Movies (2005; differently EQ'd digital clone)
There was a new analog transfer done for Chrysalis's 2-CD The Platinum Collection (1994), which runs 3:30 and 142.5 BPM throughout. There a digitally identical clone on 10 Best Series (1997).

There are a bunch of others that I couldn't identify:
  • Chrysalis' UK Best Of (1983; 142.7 BPM)
  • Warner Special Products' 2-CD Good Times (1991; 142.7 BPM)
  • EMI Australia's 5-CD Eighties Complete Vol. 1 (1997; 142.4 BPM)
  • Disky Europe's 8-CD Greatest Hits Of The '80s (1998; 142.8 BPM, compressed)
  • Simitar's Number Ones Eighties Rock (1998, 141.9 BPM)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 5 Dance (1999; 143.3 BPM)
  • Disky Europe's 8-CD Greatest Hits Of The 80s (2002; 142.8 BPM)
  • Rhino's 7-CD Like Omigod (2002; 143.0 BPM)
  • EMI Europe's 2-CD Best Of 1980-1981 (2003; 142.6 BPM)
There's also a Spanish version, released on Salsoul Records in 1980, and first appearing on CD on Chrysalis's Blonde And Beyond (1993; 141.6 BPM).

There's a dreadful remix that grazed the bottom of the UK charts in 1989. It first appeared on Once More Into The Bleach, and also appears on EMI UK's Time To Remember 1989 (1997). Bleh.

As you probably know, I usually prefer early '90s Bill Inglot mastering, which typically uses the lowest-generation source tapes in existence, and doesn't add any noise reduction or extra compression/limiting. I recommend Rhino's Billboard Top Hits 1980 (1992) for the 45 version of "Call Me".

The LP version runs 8:02 - it's kinda rare on CD so grab it when you can find it. (The American Gigolo soundtrack was on Polydor! Who knew?)

Edited by crapfromthepast on 16 March 2014 at 5:05pm

vinyljay69
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote vinyljay69

Here's something I discovered awhile back - there are/were two edit versions of "Call Me" available on CD. One is the proper single version - a remix/edit, while the other appears to be an edit of the long "American Gigolo" LP version/mix!

Though the edit points and runtimes are the same, the distinctions are immediate and obvious. The LP edit has a cymbal crash at 0:02 following the drum intro, and a bass slide note at 0:09 that repeats six times before the first verse. Neither of these are present on the single, but are on the LP version. To my ears, the single mix is also subtly different - at least in the intro - with the drums sounding slightly hotter, and the guitars slightly drier and pulled back a bit.

Both Rhino's "Billboard Top Hits 1980", and "Billboard Top Dance Hits 1980" feature the alternate edit, while their "Like Omigod" box features the single version. So presuming CFTP's mastering info above is accurate, Inglot's early 90's transfer is not the single version. I don't have many other sources to cite and compare, but all the Blondie comps I've auditioned have the correct single version.

Certainly, the possibility exists the original single was an edit of the LP version, then was quickly replaced with a reworked intro. But more likely, Inglot's transfer was pulled from a mislabeled tape. Since the mixes are similar - if not the same - after the :15 intro, this is a distinct possibility.
Back to Top View vinyljay69's Profile Search for other posts by vinyljay69

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2017 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Good ear, VJ!

There were a handful of tracks on the Billboard discs that were re-edited from great-sounding source tapes. "Kiss On My List" is one that springs to mind - it sounds great, but it misses the 45 edit point by a beat or two (i.e., cuts to a different part of the song too early or too late by a beat or two).

The version on is Billboard Top Hits 1980 (1992) is indeed an edit of the LP version, and is not the true 45 version. I'm 99% sure that this new version originated on this disc, and didn't exist when the song was a hit in 1980.

The group of CDs following the BB listing are also this edit of the LP version/mix, as well as Rhino's Hard Rock Cafe New Wave (1997), which I didn't have back then, and Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 5 Dance (1999).

All the others are the true 45 version.

Out of the remaining discs, the sound on the US and UK Best Of Blondie is muddy, the sound on The Platinum Collection is a little loud and aggressive, and the sound on Like Omigod is VERY clear and crisp, but way too loud and clips a lot.

Overall, I prefer The Platinum Collection for the true 45 version.

vinyljay69
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote vinyljay69

That would explain why there were more than a few incorrect edits on those comps. Air Supply's "Making Love" is another example of an inaccurately recreated single edit. Whoever was in charge of recreating those edits did poor research, and/or simply did not pay enough attention to detail. I never recreate an edit from memory or without some type of blueprint from a trusted source.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 March 2017 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

If there's an incorrect edit on the Air Supply, please post details in a
separate thread for the song. Pat's database has the Billboard disc
listed as "45 version."

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

vinyljay69
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote vinyljay69

crapfromthepast wrote:
Good ear, VJ!

There were a handful of tracks on the Billboard discs that were re-edited from great-sounding source tapes.

You seem to have inside information ;). Do you know why they simply didn't use the single masters? Were they inaccessible at the time? Perhaps lost? Deteriorated?

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 March 2017 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

vinyljay69 wrote:
You seem to have inside information ;). Do you know why they simply didn't use the single masters? Were they inaccessible at the time? Perhaps lost? Deteriorated?

I wouldn't call it inside information; it's more like outside information but viewed through a hundred different windows.

I've done a lot of A/B comparisons, for the different masterings of hundreds of tracks. After a while, I noticed patterns. If there was a slightly incorrect edit on a track with great sound quality, I could usually trace it back to a Rhino disc from the early 1990s.

I (I say I, but it's really we here on the board) noticed some small discrepancies on a few tracks:
  • EVERY 1'S A WINNER - Hot Chocolate (Have A Nice Day Vol. 22 cleans up the poor edit from the 45, and extends longer than the 45)
  • YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE DANCING - Leo Sayer (Billboard Top Hits 1977 fixes the poor edit from the 45)
  • LE FREAK - Chic (The Disco Years Vol. 4 stars with great-sounding tapes of the LP version, shortens the choruses to match the 45, and doesn't fade early, to produce a version significantly longer than the 45)
  • HOT STUFF - Donna Summer (The Disco Years Vol. 5 runs significantly longer than the 45 edit)
  • FRESH - Kool And The Gang (Disco Years Vol. 4 includes the edit that's on the 45 but keeps the LP fade)
  • DREAM WEAVER - Gary Wright (Billboard Top Hits 1976 has a homemade edit, which runs 9 seconds longer than the 45)
  • KISS ON MY LIST - Daryl Hall And John Oates (Billboard Top Hits 1981 comes really close to getting the 45 edit)
  • ADDICTED TO LOVE - Robert Palmer (Billboard Top Hits 1986 recreates the weird edit from The Island Story but with better source tapes and a longer fade)
This list isn't complete, and isn't intended to be disparaging to the Rhino discs. All the above have fantastic sound quality. I think it's a logical conclusion that Bill Inglot (or whoever worked with him at Rhino) decided that the album version source tapes sounded significantly better than the 45 source tapes, and decided to recreate the 45 using the album version source tapes. He basically did what we editors do here on the board, but with real deadline and budget constraints. If an edit is off by a fraction of a beat, he likely didn't notice.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 31 March 2017 at 2:20pm

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 April 2017 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

So, knowing about the "incorrect edit of the LP version" that likely began with
Rhino's "Billboard Top Hits 1980", is the "Call Me" 45 an edit of the LP version,
or is it a unique mix (at least during the intro)?

I can't believe I've been listening to the wrong version of this (and Air Supply)
for more than two decades, but it's true!

Edited by davidclark on 02 April 2017 at 11:37pm

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 April 2017 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

David,
The 45 is a unique mix throughout. You cannot edit the LP
version to make it. You can hear this in the incorrect
edit described above.

And as far as I know, the first LP appearance of the 45
version was the "Best Of" LP in 1981.

MM

Edited by MMathews on 03 April 2017 at 1:16pm
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 March 2023 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

I have the song on two CD's, Best Of Blondie (my copy is
a Columbia House Of Canada issue) and the Rhino Like
Ohmigod
80s box, and on each there is a static-ish sound at
about 0:55. It is also on my Canadian 45, so I gather it is an
imperfection in the master tape.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

vanmeter
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2023 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote vanmeter

Just to throw my two cents in about the parent LP, I absolutely recall the soundtrack being concurrent with the 45 at the time as I bought it as a kid when the song was big...and as I recall in that moment it was the only place you could get it on an LP until a bit later.
Back to Top View vanmeter's Profile Search for other posts by vanmeter

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version