Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Very different version of Baltimoro??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 August 2005 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

Hey guys,

here's a challenge for you. Way back in the 80s, I first saw the video for Tarzan Boy on cable on a show pumped over from England. The ORIGINAL version of this song had a very different intro than any version I've ever found in the US--an entirely different riff before it goes into the version we are familiar with. I actually HAVE this version on one of the NOW LPs from way back when, but have never been able to find it (preferably in a 12" format--but I'd settle for the 7") on a CD, domestic or import. Anyone EVER come across this version on a CD? Thanks in advance.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Budaniel,

Over 13 years later and I am now seeking this exact version you are looking for. I don't have it on CD but looking to add it to my collection.

For anyone that might be able to point us in the right direction, here is the version. You can clearly notice the intro is entirely different. I think it's called the summer version. However, the only existing CD versions I can find run twice as long at 6:40.

https://www.discogs.com/tarzan-boy/release/6822734

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PQHUpCR4Ag

Edited by PopArchivist on 18 November 2018 at 9:03pm
Back to Top View PopArchivist's Profile Search for other posts by PopArchivist

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2018 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I'm 99% sure that the UK 45 version runs about 3:25 and starts with the riff you mention, but can't confirm because I don't have the UK vinyl 45.

This 3:25-ish version is plentiful on non-US compilations. If you're going to hunt it down, I recommend a 2-CD collection from EMI UK called Best Of 1984-1985 (2003). Very nice mastering and excellent track selection on this set.

The 6:40-ish version actually turns up on a US compilation - Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 20 Nightclubbing (2001).

AdvprosD
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2022 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote AdvprosD

crapfromthepast wrote:
I'm 99% sure that the UK 45 version runs about 3:25 and starts with the riff you mention, but can't confirm because I don't have the UK vinyl 45.

This 3:25-ish version is plentiful on non-US compilations. If you're going to hunt it down, I recommend a 2-CD collection from EMI UK called Best Of 1984-1985 (2003). Very nice
mastering and excellent track selection on this set.

The 6:40-ish version actually turns up on a US compilation - Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 20 Nightclubbing (2001).

Ron, I think this collection has that 3:25 version on disc 7. This may be one of the common collections you were mentioning from the UK. I have this set and noted,
it starts out the same way the video does. I don't have a copy of the Nightclubbing CD you mentioned. This label is "Disky."

https://www.discogs.com/release/12337188-Various-Greatest-Hi ts-Of-The-80s

I can send it to you if you wanna hear it.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 February 2022 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

That indeed is one of those UK sets, and it happens to be the source of this version of the song that I use in my own library.

Here's the link to page on Discogs.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version