Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Blues Brothers-"Rubber Biscuit" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 May 2008 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Although not in the database, this song peaked at #37 in Billboard, in 4/79. My commercial 45, confirmed as Atlantic 3564, has a listed time of (2:14), but an actual time of (2:43). I have this song on two Blues Brothers' CDs. While the version on my "Best Of The Blues Brothers" (Atlantic 19331) turns out to be an alternate live take and is not the "hit" live version, the version on my "Definitive Collection" CD (Atlantic 82428) can be used to get the 45 version. Simply remove the opening, "this is a song by the Chips; 1,2-1,2,3" intro, that was not included on the 45, and then, by fading the CD version's ending slightly earlier; the 45 has the first, post-song "Elwood" shout at full volume, while the second Belushi "Elwood" shout, is very much a part of the 45's fade, heard at low volume, and is, in fact, the very last thing heard on the 45.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Great info, Jim! I didn't realize I've had the incorrect "hit" version of "Rubber Biscuit" all this time until just now reading your post.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Is the version on Briefcase Full Of Blues the 'hit version or alternate take?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

After listening to the version from Briefcase... which I had, and the version from the Definitive Collection... via an online digital site, there is applause over the beginning notes of the song on "Briefcase" which is not over the intro on "Definitive", leading me to believe that "Briefcase" also has the alternate take.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

brado
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote brado

So how do we get the "Rubber Biscuit" entry into the database? Also "Who's Making Love" is missing, as it peaked on the Billboard Hot 100 at #39. I would like to know if the 45 version of this song is on CD.
Back to Top View brado's Profile Search for other posts by brado Visit brado's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Well, the database is based on an average chart position, rather than on one publication. Some of those low-charting Billboard songs might have charted even lower in Cashbox, causing the "average" to miss the top 40.

The best way to find out if those songs are on CD in a specific version is just to ask the experts on the board. In many cases, as you've found already, using "search" will guide you to the information, as many of those non-database songs have been discussed here previously.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2008 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

does anyone know if the version on the Cd Hilarious! Greatest Novelty Hits (Flashback R2 79718) is the 45. It too starts with applause. I would like to hear the version from Definitive and/or a 45 dub. thanks.

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2008 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

The version on 'Briefcase Full Of Blues' sounds to me just like the version on 'Definitive'.

Is it the same as the 45 but with an intro and slightly longer end?

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 1:03am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

aaronk wrote:
Well, the database is based on an average chart position, rather than on one publication. Some of those low-charting Billboard songs might have charted even lower in Cashbox, causing the "average" to miss the top 40.

While I've understood that point since I first bought the 10th edition of Pat's book over four years ago - and subsequently joined this board just a few months later - I must confess, even w/ that knowledge, some entries still make me scratch my head. (And I know that Pat HAS stated in the past that he takes more than just the two biggies - i.e., "Billboard" & "Cash Box" - into account...)

For example, while it's certainly considered a classic today, the Romantics' 1980 semi-hit, "What I Like About You", IS included in Pat's book (and I assume the on-line database as well), despite missing the top 40 in BOTH "Billboard" (#49) and "Cash Box" (#53). I won't ask Pat to reveal his "secret formula", but since it's in there, I can only assume that that song must've peaked in the top 40 in two or three other publications at the time, to offset the disappointing middle-rankings in those two primary magazines...

Heck, I actually applaud the inclusion of such lower-ranking songs in Pat's book/database. That's because my primary reason for buying Pat's book in the first place was to make it easier for me to hunt down lower-charting top 40 hits, as well as those that for whatever reason, have made less than four or five CD appearances to date, regardless of peak position. After all, an eight-year-old could easily find tunes like "More Than a Feeling", "Kids in America", and (ugh!) "Walk Like an Egyptian" on domestic CDs, to use examples from the '70s & '80s. But how about lesser-known/forgotten personal faves of mine, such as "5.7.0.5", "New Romance (It's a Mystery)" or "Can't Shake Loose", not to mention the original recording of "Fool (If You Think it's Over)"??? Or, curiously, even top 10 smashes like "Hold on to My Love" or "Hooked on Classics"??? That's where I needed Pat's book. (But I realize I'm in the minority, though, as most folks here seem to like to break it down even further, to 45 vs. LP versions, etc. - but don't get me wrong, although I'm not necessarily after specific versions beyond having original recordings, I DO like having that info, and have learned a LOT from Pat's book and this board as a result!)

In fact, in what I believe was my very first post to this board back in '04, I actually stated that I hoped some day the book (now database) could go beyond just top 40 hits, and possibly include all that made the top 100! A monumental task, to be sure, but there are definitely a lot of very knowledgeable & hard-working people who have come on board here over the years, so hopefully I'm not the only one who (still) has that wish...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

davidclark wrote:
does anyone know if the version on the Cd Hilarious! Greatest Novelty Hits (Flashback R2 79718) is the 45. It too starts with applause.

The version of "Rubber Biscuit" on the Flashback disc listed above is the 45 version. However, does anyone have the actual run time for the 45 of their remake of "Who's Making Love" and is this song on CD (perhaps on the Definitive Collection)?

Edited by Santi Paradoa on 30 July 2010 at 7:54pm

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 August 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Santi, for the other Blues Brothers' BB-Top-40-hit-but-not-in-Pat's-DB song that you asked about, "Who's Making Love", my commercial 45 (confirmed as Atlantic 3785) has both a listed & actual time of (3:30). To me, it sounds to be the same version as the one on their CD "Definitive Collection." (This is the only CD I own this song on, as this track isn't included on their "Best Of" CD.) The song both starts and ends with applause on my 45 and my CD, but the CD run time is approx. (3:33). It sounds to me as if there's a tad more of the opening applause included on the start of my CD version. A while back, I supplied my good buddy AaronK with a dub of both my 45 and CD versions of the song, hoping to answer the exact question you raise here. I believe he and I did resolve it, but for the life of me I can't remember what Aaron's findings were. I'm hope that Aaron's "audit trail" is more solid than mine here, and he can perhaps jump in here with more exact 45 vs. CD version particulars for you.

Edited by jimct on 06 August 2010 at 3:21am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 August 2010 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'll dig up my notes this weekend and figure out what the difference is.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 August 2010 at 5:40am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Thank you Jim and Aaron for the info.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2019 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I am confused over what is the 45 version on CD. Jim (RIP)
says the 45 version can be created using The Definitive
Collection
by starting the song after "...a song by
the Chips" and fading earlier.

Santi says the 45 version is on Hilarious! Greatest
Novelty Hits
from Flashback. But that CD has applause
over the beginning that's not on Definitive.

Which CD do I use to either have or create the 45 version?

Erie, PA

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 December 2019 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

Thanks for reviving this one. I finally got around to creating the 45 and I followed Jimct's directions (still helping us out from the other side - thanks Jim!)but I still had timing issues, till I a/b 'em and discovered that at about 1:10, the word "hmmm" is edited out of the 45 and it goes right into the line "the other day..." After I took that out it became much better. But I'm still a little concerned about the space at about :41 seconds. It almost seems as if a few milliseconds were trimmed from that blank space, too. But that might just be a speed issue.
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 December 2019 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Great info Robert. Is your 45 a promo or commercial copy? The Flashback CD titled Hilarious! Greatest Novelty Hits has the "hmmmm" before "the other day" so that does NOT match Robert's 45.
eriejwg wrote:
I am confused over what is the 45 version on CD. Jim (RIP) says the 45 version can be created using The Definitive Collection by starting the song after "...a song by the Chips" and fading earlier.

Santi says the 45 version is on Hilarious! Greatest Novelty Hits from Flashback. But that CD has applause over the beginning that's not on Definitive.

Which CD do I use to either have or create the 45 version?
John, thanks to Robert's info above it appears that I was incorrect. So you may need to use the track off of The Definitive Collection CD to make the edit along with the early fade to get the correct 45 version.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 December 2019 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Wow, that edit at 1:10 sounds a bit choppy (if I did it
right, or wrong lol) Unfortunately, nobody has a 45 to
compare it to on YouTube.

Erie, PA

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 December 2019 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Steve was kind enough to send me a dub of his promo 45.
Thanks for the heads up on that edit at 1:10, Robert. That
has to go down as one of those where you say "why did they
need to take out a 'hmmm?' I can understand the early fade
as the applause on the original album, Briefcase Full
Of Blues
goes into John Belushi talking about the next
song.

Erie, PA

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version