Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: air supply "making love..nothing at all" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 May 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 of air supply "making love out of nothing at all" issued as arista 9056 states a run time on the label as 4:29 but actually runs 4:54

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

I hereby nominate Air Supply as the group who issued the MOST 45s with incorrect run times, in the history of Top 40 music. Nice job with all of these, Ed!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2008 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The 45 version of this song is on the UK import disc that Todd eluded to in another Air Supply thread. Making Love...The Very Best Of Air Supply.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2008 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

jim....yes....i agree.....they are 11 for 11 with incorrect run times versus actual times....and...not even close on a few of them.....who was running the show at arista during this time......how could they be so careless in their attention to detail?

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

I believe in this case the time was deliberately under reported, to make the single more palatable to radio. Jim Steinman (who wrote it) has a penchant for writing these long, epic dramas.
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 4:29am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I'd have to really check but I always believed that a couple of labels, RSO, Arista, would often not include the intro in the song's time.

Although I never actually tested that theory.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote abagon

I knew the existence of this LP version for the first time when I bought the Pat's book "8th edition". Because the japanese issue vinyl LP "Greatest Hits" includes the 45 version at that time. Good things of my life, this is the "Top 40 Music on Compact Disc"     
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

abagon wrote:
I knew the existence of this LP version for the first time when I bought the Pat's book "8th edition". Because the japanese issue vinyl LP "Greatest Hits" includes the 45 version at that time. Good things of my life, this is the "Top 40 Music on Compact Disc"     

You're making me feel old. I knew of the LP version because I heard my radio station play it when it came out in 1983. :)

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Someone commented earlier that Air Supply is the artist/group with the most WRONG printed run times. I don't think this was so much an Air Supply trend as it was an Arista trend. I'd bet Manilow, Manchester, etc. have many wrong times as well. But an interesting theory is presented in this post -- that the intro times are not included in the Arista listed times. It would be interesting to see if that theory holds. Maybe it's a trend that started in the '80s or late '70s, because in 1975 "Could It Be Magic" clearly indicated the intro time AND the remainder of the song's time.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I think you're right about this, Gordon. Arista has the worst track record when it comes to getting their printed run times accurate. We've indeed seen this with a number of Arista artists, including Barry Manilow, Melissa Manchester, Alan Parsons Project, Ray Parker Jr., Thompson Twins, among others.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

I think Arista holds the record for the most 45s with the *printed time* of 3:58.

(Actual running time of 4-something)

j/k

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

While it may have something to do with airplay, as mentioned above, I've looked into song licensing recently, and this may also be a reason. Licensing for a song up to 4:00 is done at a rate, today, of 9.1 cents per copy (the charge to the producer of the disc), whereas if it's longer than 4:00 the rate increases. I don't know what that means for the artists, but if it ties together, then perhaps it was a way for them to pay fewer royalties to the artists. Perhaps an insider (i.e. Gordon) can shed some light.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Yes. Actually, the time in question, however, is the 5:00 mark. Anything over 5:00 gets a higher rate than the standard statutory rate of (currently) 9.1 cents per song. Luckily, I've had one cut that fit in this category -- it was 5:03, and I did receive a higher royalty rate. This rate, has nothing to do with artists royalties, though. It's what the songwriters and publishers get paid from the record labels.

If a 5:00+ song is wrongly listed as under 5 minutes, this may have been done by the record label to save on the amount of money they pay to the publishers/writers, but if the publisher/writer is savvy enough to realize their song is over 5 minutes, they would/should be able to get the higher rate, because the actual time is what counts here and not the printed time. In fact, when the licenses are drawn up between the label and publisher, the 45 hasn't been printed yet, so the incorrect listed time shouldn't even be a factor at that point.

Plus, my guess is that those shorter times were really done to get more radio stations to play their singles.

Edited by EdisonLite on 09 May 2008 at 10:33pm
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 May 2008 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the info, Gordon. It probably is likely, then, that it had much to do with airplay. Well, it's probably so that programmers would even LISTEN to the song, because it would become quite obvious the actual length when they went to time it for airplay or put it on a cart.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 May 2008 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Nice picture sleeve, Ed! Thanks!
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2009 at 2:22am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I just noticed in the database that this song is designated by a "version". I always thought this song was just an early fade. So where is the edit in this 45? I'm surprised no one's ever brought this issue up. Is the edit somewhere in the outro?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2009 at 2:29am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

While on the subject of this 45, does anyone know if the non-LP B-Side "Late Again" has been issued on CD, either here or overseas?

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2009 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

EdisonLite wrote:
I just noticed in the database that this song is designated by a "version". I always thought this song was just an early fade. So where is the edit in this 45? I'm surprised no one's ever brought this issue up. Is the edit somewhere in the outro?

I do believe the edit is somewhere around the (4:06) mark.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote abagon

EdisonLite wrote:
While on the subject of this 45, does anyone know if the non-LP B-Side "Late Again" has been issued on CD, either here or overseas?

The "Late Again (live version)" has been issued on CD in Japan. I possessed it temporarly.
The CD title is "It's Not Too Late - The Best Of Air Supply". The market prices in used CD sellers are under $10 in Japan now.
The track list: 9 songs from the "Greatest Hits" plus "Late again (live version)", "It's not too late ", "I'll never get enough of you".
"Making Love Out Of Nothing At All" is the "45 version" and another top 40 hits are all the "LP version".

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2009 at 2:51am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for the info.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version