Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Peaches & Herb-"Shake Your Groove..." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 May 2008 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote jimct

3 of my 4 commercial 45 copies are the more common, listed (3:25), actual (3:23) version. Not surprisingly, 31 of the 32 current database "45 version" CD appearances feature this mix, which Pat currently notates as "45 version with instrumental introduction." My other, rarer commercial 45 copy has a listed time of (3:39) and an actual time of (3:37). I only post this info because the only current database CD that allegedly contains this 45 version, the Rhino V/A CD, "Cleveland Rocks! Music From The Drew Carey Show", which Pat specifies as "45 version with vocal introduction", runs only (3:30), :07 shorter than the run time of my actual 45 for this mix.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 May 2008 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It is my intention to see if audio from the more common (3:23) version can be tagged onto the ending of the rare version from the Drew Carey CD. If someone beats me to it, please post!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Nope, the database will need to be changed to reflect the comment "neither the 45 nor LP version." Here's another example of how the fine folks at Rhino goofed. The missing seven seconds on the Drew Carey version is not from the end of the song, but rather it is an editing mistake at the beginning. The intro of the actual 45 has an instrumental loop with the lyrics "shake it, shake it." This occurs TWICE on the actual 45, but only once on the CD.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 1:45am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Does anyone know if this vocal introduction appears on a different mix, such as the LP version? I'm wondering if it's possible to re-create this version. I was able to confirm that the two 45 versions are identical after the (0:37) mark of the 45 with vocal intro.

Another goof on the Drew Carey version is that there are cymbal hits after the "shake it, shake it" lyrics at 0:22 and 0:29 (starting on the first beat of the measure). These cymbal hits are not present on the 45, but they are on the more common 45 version without the vocal intro. This is evidence that Rhino simply spliced the vocal intro onto the more common 45 version.

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 4:09am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

aaronk wrote:
Does anyone know if this vocal introduction appears on a different mix, such as the LP version? I'm wondering if it's possible to re-create this version. I was able to confirm that the two 45 versions are identical after the (0:37) mark of the 45 with vocal intro.

The LP version on the soundtrack of "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" has the vocal intro. I believe you can turn that into the vocal-intro 45 version, just by fading early.

Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Aaron:

I have the LP version of "Shake Your Groove Thing" on the various artist CD Top Hits of the Seventies - Mega Hits (Collectables 9708). I'll send you an e-mail about it later tonight and we'll see if the 45 version can be re-created from it.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Amazing how one wrong edit can spread so fast. 31 CD's? Geeesh...
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

So, if I paste the first :37 of the LP version onto the existing 45 version...will that work?

Aaron and Todd, I'll send you my results if you wish...
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

eriejwg wrote:
Amazing how one wrong edit can spread so fast. 31 CD's? Geeesh...

John, my understanding is the wrong edit occurs only on the Cleveland Rocks! Music From The Drew Carey Show CD (Rhino 75342) as it pertains to the 45 version with vocal intro. I believe the 31 CDs in the database containing the 45 version with instrumental intro are all correct.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 15 May 2008 at 7:13am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks, Todd.

Edited by eriejwg on 15 May 2008 at 7:12am

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Since it's been almost 30 years since I first played this song on the radio, I seem to recall playing the 45 with the vocal intro.

Jim, which did your station play?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote jimct

John, we absolutely played the version with the instrumental intro at our station in 1979, as I believe most Top 40 stations around the country did, as well.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

eriejwg wrote:
So, if I paste the first :37 of the LP version onto the existing 45 version...will that work?

Aaron and Todd, I'll send you my results if you wish...

John, I have never heard the LP version, so I honestly don't know if that will work. All I know is that when comparing the two different 45 versions, they are identical after a certain point. From the sounds of it, there's a chance that the LP version can be edited to match the 45 with vocal intro.

If I had to guess, I would say the vocal intro version was the first 45 version created. Later, they probably took a section of the 12" mix (again, only speculating) and pasted it onto the intro, replacing the vocal intro.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2008 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

aaronk wrote:

If I had to guess, I would say the vocal intro version was the first 45 version created. Later, they probably took a section of the 12" mix (again, only speculating) and pasted it onto the intro, replacing the vocal intro.

Once I grabbed the LP version off of Napster this morning and heard the 'vocal intro', that's when a vision came back that we played the 45 with that intro.

I've become so accustomed to the instrumental intro, playing that version as a mobile for years.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 December 2008 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I noticed that the database was never updated to reflect "neither" on the Drew Carey CD. Pat, you may want to change the entry for that CD, since the version on that disc does not match the 45.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 December 2008 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

While this topic is at the top, I'm wondering if the (5:30) versions are actually the LP version. A friend of mine has the vinyl LP for 2 Hot, and "Shake Your Groove Thing" starts with just drums and runs about (5:45). This same version also appears on the CD version of 2 Hot. Does anyone have the vinyl album with "Groove Thing" running (5:30) and starting with the vocal intro?

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 December 2008 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

I would have to dig it out, but I'm almost POSITIVE that I still have the "2 Hot" vinyl album with the original introduction, which was a slow (think ballad) vocal. Let me know, and I'll see if I can track it down, and the deadwax information on it.

At the time I was much more excited to have found the original promotional only 12" single, which appeared years later as one of the bonus tracks on the "Priscilla" soundtrack.
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 December 2008 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Steve! It looks like we have a case of two different LP versions. I'll have to get the deadwax info from my friend (a fellow forum member, so he might post the info before I see him), but I'm positive that his vinyl LP does not have the ballad-like vocal intro.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 December 2008 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

eric_a wrote:
The LP version on the soundtrack of "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" has the vocal intro. I believe you can turn that into the vocal-intro 45 version, just by fading early.

Eric is exactly right. Thanks to some assistance from Brian, I was able to confirm that the vocal intro 45 version is an early fade of the vocal intro LP version.

Now we just need to compare the matrix numbers of the vinyl LPs, since we appear to have two pressings with different "LP versions" of "Shake Your Groove Thing."

Steve Sharp
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Steve Sharp

Found the vinyl, and listened to it, and to my surprise, it has the "fast, non-vocal" intro. I'm now remembering more of the story. YES, I did have the original album with the ballad intro, and YES the album was repressed after the mix was changed, but since I worked at a record store, once I discovered this, I used my "posisition" to return my original pressing for the newer one, which I liked much better.

Side A deadwax on this one (the 2nd edition, with the 2nd mix):

Polydor

PD-1-6172-AS-REV-COMP-1 PRCW-1
Back to Top View Steve Sharp's Profile Search for other posts by Steve Sharp Visit Steve Sharp's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version