Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: JIMMY RUFFIN - "Hold On To My Love" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 April 2008 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote abagon

The commercial 45 actual running time is "3:32",and listed "3:36" on the record label.The LP "Sunrise"'s actual running time is "3:32"(Also listed time is 3:32).
Both are the same version. We'll be able to use the track for the 45 if this tune of "3:32" will be released. The lone CD "Ocean Drive 4" is shorter than the original version. The db is right.
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2008 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

Recently, Sirius 8 had their weekly countdown of the hits of the week in 1980.
When they played "Hold On To My Love" it was nearly 5 minutes long with an incredibly long intro.
Would that have been a dance mix of some kind?
I'm amazed that these folks can't find the true versions of these tunes...

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 April 2008 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Abagon, I really appreciate how you furnish info for vinyl LP run times as well as 45 times. As you probably can tell, we are truly blessed to have so many knowledgable experts among us who contribute to this message board regularly and have a tremendous amount of resources at their disposal. But if there's one area we don't have a lot of information for in general, it's printed and actual vinyl LP run times (though Pat has done an admirable job of supplying related info whenever he can). So it's always great when someone like yourself comes along and helps us fill a void. I encourage you to keep your valuable contributions coming, sir!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 29 April 2008 at 10:37pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 April 2008 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote abagon

I appreciate,Todd. I'm very happy to get your nice comment. I'll try my best,step by step, one by one.
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2013 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

About five years ago, I obtained a used copy of the lone U.S. CD in Pat's book/database that contains this song, the V/A compilation titled Ocean Drive 4 (Ripete 5151). But like most here, I was also disappointed that "Hold On to My Love" runs only (3:03) on that CD - cutting off the last 29 seconds or so, as abagon reported in 2008 that both the 45 & LP have an actual time of (3:32). Luckily, that CD cost me all of about five or six bucks...

Well, I recently obtained a lot of 60+ import CDs from the U.K. and Europe, almost all compilations of '70s & '80s music (most of them now out-of-print), and one of them does include this elusive hit by Jimmy Ruffin. As an alternative to the V/A CD that EdisonLite previously reported here, there's also an 18-track V/A compilation that was released in the U.K. in 1991 titled Soul Dreaming, on Stardust STACD 006. "Hold On to My Love" is the original hit recording, and has an actual time of (3:26) on this CD. The complete track list is as follows (bold = top 40 U.S. hits, by Pat's standards):

01) "Like Sister and Brother" - THE DRIFTERS (1973)
02) "Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)" - DELFONICS (1970)
03) "Love Come Down" - EVELYN KING (1982)
04) "Native New Yorker" - ODYSSEY (1978)
05) "Woman in Love" - THREE DEGREES (1979)
06) "You Make Me Feel Brand New" - THE STYLISTICS (1974)
07) "Hold On to My Love" - JIMMY RUFFIN (1980)
08) "When She Was My Girl" - FOUR TOPS (1981)
09) "Living in America" - JAMES BROWN (1986)
10) "You're the First, the Last, My Everything" - BARRY WHITE (1975)
11) "Joanna" - KOOL & THE GANG (1984)
12) "Summer Breeze" - ISLEY BROS. (1974)
13) "I Really Didn't Mean It" - LUTHER VANDROSS (1987)
14) "Never Knew Love Like This" - ALEXANDER O'NEAL ftg. CHERRELLE (1988)
15) "Sexual Healing" - MARVIN GAYE (1983)
16) "Let's Hear it for the Boy" - DENIECE WILLIAMS (1984)
17) "Come Back and Finish What You Started" - GLADYS KNIGHT (1978)
18) "Kiss and Say Goodbye" - THE MANHATTANS (1976)

This particular CD is long out-of-print and admittedly somewhat tough to find today, although I did notice that a used copy recently appeared on eBay's U.K. site at a very reasonable price, and failed to sell: CD on eBay So if anyone here wants to acquire this CD, perhaps it would be best to contact the U.K. seller, and see if he could re-list it??? Fading the song 29 seconds early on the Ocean Drive 4 CD was definitely unacceptable, but I can live w/ just 6 seconds on this Soul Dreaming CD...

I've never understood why "Hold On to My Love" has been so elusive on CD here in the U.S. over the years, but it has appeared on about a half-dozen other V/A compilations in the U.K. to date, mostly on box sets of either disco or '80s hits. (I don't have any of those other collections, or else I'd report the details here on them as well.) I do remember hearing the song on top 40 radio in SoCal somewhat regularly when it was a hit back in 1980, but since then, until I'd acquired the Ocean Drive 4 CD, the only time I'd ever heard it was whenever I played my old K-tel cassettes titled Hitline (Vol. 1) or Power Play, lol. IMO, it's been so forgotten that it's now hard to believe it was actually a top 10 pop hit - even more surprising when you consider it hit only #29 R&B in Billboard! An eBay seller in Estonia has recently been selling new/sealed copies of a "remastered" CD version of the song's original 1980 parent album, Sunrise, on the American eBay site. He's actually sold quite a few of them at a fairly decent price, but I haven't sprung for one myself, so I can't vouch for the quality or authenticity of that seller's CDs...

EdisonLite wrote:
I have the "25 Years .... 1980" CD (UK)...It's very very muffled sounding, but I brightened it to match the 45...It has the full length (single/album) version...

So what's the actual time for "Hold On to My Love" on that CD - are you saying it runs the full (3:32)???

(Also posted in satchdr's thread for this song started on 15 January 2009...)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2013 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

see my answer in the other "Hold on to My Love" thread.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version