Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Journey - "Separate Ways" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 December 2008 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Back when I went through the '80s tracks, I noticed that the version on Gold & Platinum was the correct edit but the wrong speed, compared with the 45.

I did my own edit to recreate the 45, based on the version from the Time boxed set. I didn't keep super-detailed notes as to how much to remove from the album version, but there should be edit points in your 45 version at 0:14, 1:42, 3:29 and 4:10. Hope that helps.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 February 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

I just did the edit myself. The 45 version is the same as the 1983 video so you can use that as a reference.

Man is that a goofy video.

Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

Ron S
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 January 2019 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote Ron S

crapfromthepast wrote:
Back when I went through the '80s tracks, I
noticed that the version on Gold & Platinum was the correct edit but the
wrong speed, compared with the 45.

Faster by how much? I wish the sound quality was better on it.. The ones on
the other CDs that are the LP version sound so much better than the Gold &
Platinum 45 version.
Back to Top View Ron S's Profile Search for other posts by Ron S

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Indy500 wrote:
The 45 version is the same as the 1983 video so you can use that as a reference.

Man is that a goofy video.

It is a classic 80's video made on a low budget with no special effects. I know we don't mention much of what is going on in the outside world, but I could not help but mention this quarantined family out of boredom decided to recreate that goofy video.

Please help me if I get that bored...

https://vimeo.com/404483016

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2021 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The that the edit points I listed 12 years ago (!) are incorrect; I fix those in the post below.

In 1992, Priority Records released a compilation called The 80's Greatest Rock Hits Volume 3 Arena Rock, which included the 45 edit of Journey's "Separate Ways". Here's a Discogs entry of the original release (Priority P2 7074). It runs 4:25 on this disc, in case we want to enter it into the database.

At some point (1994? at least judging by the matrix number), Priority lost the rights to Journey tracks, and reissued Volumes 1 and 3 of this series with replacement tracks. Here's a Discogs entry of the rerelease (Priority P2 53715).

Note that the rerelease of this disc has a mastering error that introduces a one-sample delay between the left and right channels on tracks 1-3 and 5-9 (i.e., the tracks in common between the two releases). The mastering is otherwise identical between the two releases, except for the delay. (I confirmed by null tests and "OOPS" tests for all 8 tracks. If you would like to confirm one of these tests, use Loverboy's "Lovin' Every Minute Of It" and focus on the lead vocals. These lead vocals are essentially mono, and virtually disappear in the OOPS test for the original release, but not this rerelease.)

Ah, Priority Records... the surprises never end.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 06 January 2021 at 9:50am

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2021 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

LP version

I have the LP version on Columbia's Journey Greatest Hits (1988), where it runs 5:24 and sounds just fine. The 1996 rerelease of GH is just a differently-EQ'd digital clone of the 1988 version.

There's a different analog transfer on Columbia's Journey 3-CD Time (1992), where it also runs 5:24 and also sounds just fine. The very end of the fade has a little noise that's cut shorter on Time, which is pretty insignificant.

The Time set is relatively inexpensive, and is my preferred mastering for the song, although there really isn't much difference between Time and the 1988 GH. Both have great dynamic range, nice EQ, and no evidence of any added noise reduction.

If you're going to use GH to recreate the 45 edit, the timings will be later by about 0.2 seconds and the beginning of the song and about 0.5 seconds at the end of the song. (GH runs about 0.08% slower than Time, which is completely insignificant under normal circumstances.)

45 version

I don't know the actual speed at which the 45 runs, so I'm going to assume that the speed on Time is correct. Using Time as the source, here are editing instructions for creating the 45 edit:

Segment 1
Begins on opening keyboard note, which is on a downbeat
40 beats long
Ends on a downbeat
Extends from 0:00 to 0:18.3 of LP version and 45 version

Remove the 16 beats from 0:18.3 to 0:25.6 of the LP version.

Segment 2
Begins on a downbeat
180 beats long
Ends on a downbeat
Extends from 0:18.3 to 1:41.4 of the 45 version
Extends from 0:25.6 to 1:48.6 of the LP version

Remove the 16 beats from 1:48.6 to 1:55.9 of the LP version.

Segment 3
Begins on a downbeat
236 beats long
Ends on a downbeat
Extends from 1:41.4 to 3:29.1 of the 45 version
Extends from 1:55.9 to 3:43.6 of the LP version

Remove the 32 beats from 3:43.6 to 3:58.1 of the LP version.

Segment 4
Begins on a downbeat
96 beats long
Ends on a downbeat
Extends from 3:29.1 to 4:12.4 of the 45 version
Extends from 3:58.1 to 4:41.5 of the LP version

Remove the 64 beats from 4:41.5 to 5:10.4 of the LP version.

Segment 5
Begins on a downbeat
24 beats long
Ends on the last note
Extends from 4:12.4 to 4:26.3 (with outro silence) of the 45 version
Extends from 5:10.4 to 5:24.3 (with outro silence) of the LP version

Your mixdown will run 4:26, with edits at 0:18.3, 1:41.4, 3:29.1, and 4:12.4.

I know of just three CDs that include the 45 version.

The oldest is Realm's mail-order Gold And Platinum (1986), which runs 4:27. Here, it runs about 0.33% slower than Time. It doesn't sound great here; the high end is pretty muffled. Still, it has a great dynamic range and no evidence of added noise reduction.

Next, it's on the original pressing of Priority's Eighties Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 3 Arena Rock (1992), where it runs about 0.29% faster than Time. It sounds pretty good here, which is a pleasant surprise for a release on Priority. Decent dynamic range (although it's a little loud and clips a bit), good EQ, and no evidence of any added noise reduction. Priority lost the rights to Journey tracks (sometime around 1994), and rereleased this disc, replacing "Separate Ways" with a Pat Travers song.

It's also on a UK promo disc called BBC Hits Of '83, where it has a severely muffled high end. I didn't like the sound here.

My recommendations

For the LP version, I like Columbia's Journey 3-CD Time (1992), but the 1988 release of Greatest Hits will work just fine.

For the 45 version, I made my own edit from Time, using the instructions above. (If the Realm disc runs too slow, and the Priority disc runs too fast, then Time runs just right. Goldilocks and all that.)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version