Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Journey - "Separate Ways" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 July 2005 at 1:52am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

This CD isn't listed in Pat's book, since it's a Columbia House CD, but "Gold & Platinum Hits of the '80s Vol. 1" has what is apparently the 45 version of Journey's "Separate Ways." It runs an actual 4:26, but Whitburn lists 4:21, so I don't know. It has a cold ending. (BTW, this disc is also the only time I've ever seen "Say Say Say" on a compilation CD.)

Anyone have the 45 of "Separate Ways" who can verify?

Edited by Brian W. on 19 July 2005 at 1:55am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 July 2005 at 3:16am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just checked this one a few months ago. The 45 actually does run (4:26), but the label says (4:21).
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2005 at 5:35am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

yes.....the gold & platinum cd does contain the actual 45 version of seperate ways by journey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2005 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Interesting... Has anyone found any other 45 versions on a Columbia House CD compilation that aren't available anywhere else?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2005 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Great... thanks, guys.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

According to the database, DJ copies of the "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" 45 run 4:24. Since the song ends cold, does this mean then that the song plays at a slightly faster pitch on DJ 45 copies than on commercial 45 copies?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 1:14am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Perhaps commerical copies also run (4:24). There isn't a note for the run time of commercial copies. It's possible that the (4:27) CD appearance is slightly slower than the 45 version.

A while back, I did a custom edit of this one using the LP version. If you match the edits up correctly, it times out to (4:27) at the LP speed. I didn't match the pitch with the 45 copy I was using, because the difference was very slight, and I thought it might just be that the turntable speed was off.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 1:23am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Gentlemen, I have both the promo and stock 45s for "Separate Ways". Hoping to get to the bottom of this, I will stopwatch both of them tomorrow, and report back my findings.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Aaron:

I talked to Ed about the commercial 45 and he confirms it's identical to the CD appearance, so I took this to mean that the run times are identical as well. But since he didn't specifically state his vinyl 45 time, we don't know on which source, if any, the speed difference occurs. We'll see what Jim finds out after he compares his promo and commercial 45.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 06 January 2007 at 7:02am

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Guys, my stock 45 and both sides of my promo 45 all show a listed time of (4:21), and all have an actual time of (4:24). My stock 45 deadwax is ZSS-170770-1B, while my promo 45 deadwax is the same, ZSS-170770-1B on one side, and ZSS-170770-1A on the other.

Edited by jimct on 06 January 2007 at 12:43pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

So that means the (4:27) version runs at the LP speed, which is probably less than 1% slower than the 45. Would this warrant a "45 version but slower" comment? Where do you draw the line? I'm sure there are hundreds of examples of ever-so-slight speed variations.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I appreciate the confirmation, Jim. It appears we can now conclude then that although the version of "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" appearing on the Gold & Platinum Hits of the '80s Vol. 1 is the correct 45 version, it plays at a slightly slower speed than the DJ and commercial 45.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Aaron:

In my opinion, a :01 or :02 difference in speed would probably be too insignificant to warrant a "45 version but slower" comment, much like a :01 or :02 difference in run time length would be widely considered too inconsequential to warrant a comment like: ":01 (or :02) shorter than the 45 length". But if we're talking about a discrepency of :03 or more in speed, then I think it starts to become significant enough where a listener very familiar with the song might begin noticing the pitch difference.

I'd say this will be best left up to Pat to make a judgment call here.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 06 January 2007 at 3:53pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I like your line of thinking, Todd; however, I would like to add that a :01 or :02 difference in speed would be significantly different for a short song than it would be for a long song.

For instance, three seconds on that 4 1/2 minute Journey song would not be nearly as noticable as three seconds on a 2:15 oldie. Three seconds off the 2:15 song would be like taking SIX seconds off the Journey song.

Edited by aaronk on 06 January 2007 at 4:20pm

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

todd.....i disagree......i just listened to the 45 compared to the "gold & platinum" cd and they are identical to me......they both run 4:26.....if there is a speed issue it is so slight that it does not warrant mention......pat.....you should remove the speed qualifier from the database.....

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2007 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

jimct wrote:
Guys, my stock 45 and both sides of my promo 45 all show a listed time of (4:21), and all have an actual time of (4:24). My stock 45 deadwax is ZSS-170770-1B, while my promo 45 deadwax is the same, ZSS-170770-1B on one side, and ZSS-170770-1A on the other.
Ed, is the deadwax info for your (4:26) 45 version the same as above? Agreed, it's only (:02), but you and I give out FAR more actual 45 times than anyone else on the Board. We're both sticklers - I'm just baffled that you and I could be timing the same 45, but are showing a (:02) timing difference here. Especially since I got EXACTLY (4:24) THREE different times, for both my stock AND both sides of my promo 45......

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2007 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

jim.......my commercial 45 has on the deadwax area "zss - 170770 - 1a" on side a with the song "separate ways (worlds apart)"....this is different than what is mentioned above...can i send you an mp3 of the 45 for your review?.....maybe mine is the same as you promo B-side.....lmk if i can send to you...

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2007 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Ed: I also have that "Gold & Platinum" CD. I'm gonna be mailing out a parcel to a certain Board expert on Friday anyway, and I will now make sure I include my ZSS-170770-1A promo 45 (which matches you commercial 45 deadwax), and a "Gold & Platinum" CD-R dub of it, for evaluation/analysis. He'll be able to work out the (4:24) vs (4:26) timing gremlins for us. No big deal, really.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2008 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

It's been over a year and a half since Jim's post regarding whether the commercial 45 of Journey's "Separate Ways (World's Apart)" runs 4:24 or 4:26. Well, I've consulted our good friend from Japan, abagon, about the timing info on his stock copy and was hoping he could settle this once and for all. His verdict... The actual 45 run time is 4:25, not 4:21 as stated on the record label! LOL Perhaps we should just go with his 4:25 time since it falls right in between Jim's 4:24 and Ed's 4:26? :-)

It really makes no difference to me which of the times we go with, but I think it would be nice to see commercial 45 run time info included in the database along with the DJ info.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2008 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

john just did a super job of speeding up of the gold and platinum cd version and it NOW matches my 45 perfectly and runs 4:25.....THANKS JOHN!!!!...sorry for the delay in reporting....my cd burned was broken and i just got the new one today....my 45 states a run time on the label of 4:21 but actually runs 4:25....

Edited by edtop40 on 19 December 2008 at 11:11am

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version