Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Vienna Calling" - Falco Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 April 2008 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify a version of Falco's "Vienna Calling" that I have on an import CD called Helden Von Heute (BMG 21808602). This particular version begins with a fade-in of Johann Strauss's famous classical music piece "Blue Danube Waltz". At the :07 mark, the sound of a touch-tone phone is heard and then the drum machine kicks in about :02 later. Falco comes in shortly after this point with a "hello, heh-heh-hello, Vienna calling" rap. Altogether, this version runs about 4:07 and I've always thought it to be superior to the U.S. 45 version. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Was this a European 45 version? Did it ever appear on a U.S. promo 45?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 April 2008 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have this version on a Falco import (Falco 3), and I'm guessing that it might have been a European single version. The disc labels it as "Wait For The Extended Mix," but I don't know if that's an official name for the mix or if they were just trying an attempt at humor.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2008 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks for what appears to be some key info in helping me solve this mystery, Aaron! I too am thinking this "Wait for the Extended Mix" may be a European single version. It's interesting to note that, according to the database, the domestic CD release of Falco 3 contains the LP version and runs 7:38. I don't think I've ever heard the LP version of "Vienna Calling" before, so does anyone know if the "Wait for the Extended Mix" I described in my initial post is perhaps an edit of the LP version?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2008 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Guys, both sides of my two promo 45 copies, as well as my commercial 45, are all "The New '86 Edit/Mix", with all having listed times of (4:01), but actual times of (3:58). But I believe I have both commercial and promo 12" singles for this song over at my Mom's, and I'll pull them, check what's on there, and report back with my findings the next time I can get over there, unless someone else can solve this case in the interim.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 April 2008 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have the US Falco 3 release, too, but my import CD is packed away in storage. Todd, I'll send you the album version and let you determine if that European version is an edit of the LP version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 12:20am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

*bump*

I'd love to get an update on the versions of this song available.

I have a couple of versions similar to what Todd describes above, running between 4:05 & 4:07.

Another version, claiming to be from the Greatest Hits CD, starts out with a sped-up different section of the Vienna Waltz, touch-tones start one and a half seconds in, and Falco shouts "Cha! Cha!" (I think) at four and a half seconds in. This one runs 3:59.

A 3rd version, running 4:48, starts out with the opening notes of the Blue Danube Waltz, taking a full 45 seconds to get to the touch-tones, and missing are most of the "Cha"s and it feels more like a "stripped down" mix with guitars stronger in the opening and strings throughout.

A 4th version, running 7:30, starts out with various synth cords, a driving beat, and an airport flyover sound effect. Following this is an introduction from a female flight attendant / pilot in English and a male then narrates a "tour" through Vienna, again in English. It's labeled as "The Incredible Grand 'Tour de Vienna' Live Mix" and Falco's voice doesn't show up until 4:07 in a "live" performance.

From these descriptions, can anybody help sort out which version is which?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version