Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 July 2005 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My book indicates "LP Length" next to all instances of Bruce Hornsby & The Range "The Way It Is." I checked the commercial 45, and it has the full (4:54) LP version. I believe there are DJ copies of this 45 that run somewhere around (4:38), but the book should probably remove the comment "LP Length" since the LP and 45 are the same.

If someone can supply information contrary to this, please post!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 September 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Regarding Bruce Hornsby and the Range's "The Way It Is", the database currently states that commercial copies are all 4:57. This must be based on the time stated on the record label because abagon informs me the actual run time is 4:55. I know this is another instance of a marginal :02 difference, but the 4:55 time seems to be more slightly more in sync with most of the song's database CD appearances containing the "45 length" comment.

Also, Pat, I notice for all of Hornsby's Top 40 hits the database lists the artist as "Bruce Hornsby". I believe all of his Top 40 hits were officially released as "Bruce Hornsby and the Range".
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2013 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

The info I'm about to present was NOT included in the 10th edition of Pat's book, and after searching this chat board for all threads concerning Bruce Hornsby's three top 40 hits from his 1986 debut album, The Way it Is - the title track, "Mandolin Rain", and "Every Little Kiss" - I was a bit surprised to see it apparently hasn't been brought up here before, either. (But in the event Pat has since added this info to his on-line database, please disregard...)

Like its debut single, "Every Little Kiss", Hornsby's album, The Way it Is, was issued TWICE here in the U.S. The rare first pressings were released in April of '86 on RCA 8058. In addition to the different catalog no., these first pressings also had different versions of some of the songs, as well as a different front cover photo - one that shows Hornsby turning, in a strange blur. (Gets my vote for one of the worst album covers ever - what on Earth were the folks at RCA thinking when they originally OK'd it???) If you've never seen one of these original pressings, here's the page for it on Discogs: Bruce Hornsby - "The Way it Is". The album subsequently debuted at #178 on the "Top Pop Albums" chart in the June 21, 1986, issue of Billboard - and at that time, it still had the original cover, track versions, and "8058" catalog no., as shown on the actual chart printed in the magazine. In fact, it retained that original cover/no. for its first 13 weeks on "Top Pop Albums", until the September 13 issue. The lead single was "Every Little Kiss" on RCA 14361, which pretty much flopped - peaking at #72 on the "Hot 100" in the August 23 issue...

Ah, but then RCA launched its promotion of the album's second single - the title track - on RCA 5023, on or about September 1. This is also when the label decided to scrap the original album cover as well as re-issue it w/ a new catalog no., while changing the versions of some of the songs, now on RCA 5904. This change was first reflected in the September 20, 1986, issue of Billboard's chart, the front page of which - not coincidentally - also featured an ad from RCA for the album w/ the new cover art. The re-issue w/ the new cover art/track versions/catalog no. also signaled a raise in the album's suggested list price. Also in that issue, the title track debuted at #86 on the "Hot 100", and of course, the rest is history: The single went all the way to #1, the album rocketed into the top five (eventually going multi-platinum), third single "Mandolin Rain" (RCA 5087) hit #4, followed by a re-issue/remix of "Every Little Kiss" (RCA 5165) hitting #14...

So needless to say, the vast majority of the album's sales (probably 95%) occurred AFTER The Way it Is was re-issued on RCA 5904, some 4-5 months after initially hitting store shelves. I first bought the album on cassette myself in the fall of '86, but by then, it already had the new cover art/track versions/catalog no./higher list price. Then about 1988, I remember first stumbling across a used cassette w/ the original cover on RCA 8058, and grabbing it; within a year, I'd picked up a couple more originals on cassette, and seen it on LP as well. I wasn't buying (and therefore, searching for) CDs then, but w/o going back and scanning my old issues of Billboard from '86, I speculated that originals on RCA 8058 more than likely didn't exist in the digital format. Then flash forward to about 2000, as I'm visiting one of my favorite used record stores in NYC, and finally expanding my music collection to include CDs. I'm digging through their bins of used CDs, and decided to pull out what looked like an older copy of The Way it Is. When I turned it to see the front cover, my eyes popped and my jaw dropped at the same time - RCA 8058 DID exist on CD! :-) I just recently added a second copy on CD to my collection as a back-up, which is what prompted me to check both Pat's book and this chat board...

Of course, being one of the early titles to be issued on CD, both of my copies are Japan-for-U.S. pressings, and in smooth cases. Without a doubt, the CD is by far the rarest of the three music formats that these first pressings of The Way it Is were issued on. The actual timings of the three top 40 hits on RCA 8058 are:

"The Way it Is": (4:57)
"Mandolin Rain": (5:18)
"Every Little Kiss": (5:47)

A couple of the above timings differ by a mere one second vs. the ones given in the 10th edition of Pat's book for the later (common) version on RCA 5904, and as far as I know, none of the hits were among the songs that were changed on the re-issue. Two songs that WERE changed were "Down the Road Tonight" and "The River Runs Low"; not sure if there were others as well...

COMMENTARY: Alas, for whatever reason, you won't find this info in any of Joel Whitburn's chart books, such as Top Pop Albums, even though The Way it Is actually DID chart for 13 weeks in Billboard in its original incarnation on RCA 8058. (Unless it was added in the 7th edition??? Admittedly, the most recent one I have is the 6th edition from 2006.) To be fair, Whitburn does usually seem to go out of his way to include info in his singles books when the labels, catalog nos., B-sides, etc., changed during a song's chart run, so why hasn't he done the same for albums as well??? (I can cite quite a few others from the '80s, just off the top of my head - and no, none of them are noted in his album books, either.) I'd think info like this would certainly help collectors, even if it just appears in fine print as a footnote under the album titles in question - and after all, isn't the primary goal of his books to ACCURATELY reflect what actually charted???
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 November 2015 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I found copies of the two releases of the The Way It Is full-length CD. (Just the discs, though, so I can't comment on the artwork.) As detailed above by 80smusicfreak, the original release is RCA PCD1-8058, and the rerelease is RCA PCD1-5904. Both of my discs say "Made In Japan" and have a copyright date of 1986.

Here are the track-by-track comparisons:
  • On The Western Skyline - 5904 reissue is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of 8058 original
  • Every Little Kiss - 5904 reissue is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of 8058 original
  • Mandolin Rain - 5904 reissue is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of 8058 original
  • The Long Race - differently EQ'd digital clone but tail of fade is about 1 sec shorter on 5904 reissue
  • The Way It Is - 5904 reissue is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of 8058 original
  • Down The Road Tonight - 5904 reissue is remixed to give it a little more gloss and is a bit shorter
  • The Wild Frontier - 5904 reissue is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of 8058 original
  • The River Runs Low - 5904 reissue is a really drastic remix that keeps only the vocals from the 8058 original and rerecords everything else; the 8058 original had drums!
  • The Red Plains - 5904 reissue is a differently-EQ'd digital clone of 8058 original

Edited by crapfromthepast on 12 November 2015 at 9:17am

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 1:13am | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

The database states that some DJ copies of The Way It Is run 4:34. Can anyone shed any light on this version, please? Is it an edit or simply an earlier fade of the 45/LP? Incidentally, I notice that the video clip fades around this point. Any information on fade or edit points would be appreciated, thanks.
Back to Top View Bwci Bo's Profile Search for other posts by Bwci Bo

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 4:50am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm almost 100% positive it's an early fade. I'll double check my file
when I get to my computer (typing this from my phone) and let you
know for sure, unless someone beats me to it.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The promo 45 does indeed have an early fade of the LP/commercial 45 version.

I don't have fade points handy here at work - will post more tonight.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I believe the start of the fade is around (4:25)-(4:26), going to (4:36).

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 1:46am | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

Thanks for the info, guys. Although I'm still a little unsure of the actual running time. Database says 4:34, Doug says 4:36 and Aaron says 4:38.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The recreation I have runs 4:35. Fade starts during the
piano playing at 4:25.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

Thanks John. So we can add a 4:35 length to the list too ;-) I think I'll just play it safe and go for somewhere in the middle!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version