Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Huey Lewis & the News - "Couple Days Off" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 March 2008 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I discovered that the single edit is included with the TM Century library, and I figured out the edit points, so here are instructions for creading the "single edit" from the LP version. By "single edit", I mean track 3 from the promo CD single. From Todd's post from 2004, here's the promo CD single info:

HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS - COUPLE DAYS OFF (EMI DPRO #04752)
1) AOR VERSION - 4:55
2) ALBUM EDIT - 3:44
3) SINGLE EDIT - 3:14
Comments: The AOR version is the same as the LP version, although it sounds like additional equalization, or EQ, was used on the AOR version to give it a hotter, brighter sound. The Album Edit and Single Edit are edits of the LP version.

I have the LP version on:
  • The Big '90s (Razor & Tie Razor & Tie 72438-19283-2-5, 1996; really a fine collection - highly recommend)
  • Spotlight On Hits Pop Vol. 1
  • Hot Hits Pop Vol. 6 (all three of these CDs are digital clones of each other, with level changes; sound quality on all is quite good)
My timings are for The Big '90s:

Keep 0:00.0-0:08.8 of the LP version. If the downbeat after "woo" at the 1.8 second mark is beat #1, then edit on the snare at beat #20.
Remove the 16 beats from 0:08.8-0:14.7.
Keep 0:14.7-2:04.9 of the LP version. If the downbeat following the guitar slide at 1:54 is beat #1, then edit on the downbeat at beat #29.
Remove the 32 beats from 2:04.9-2:16.7.
Keep 2:16.7-3:30.3 of the LP version. Edit on the cymbal crash at 3:30.3 - it's truly a half-beat before the downbeat, but there are no drum hits at the true downbeat.
Remove the 224 beats from 3:30.3-4:52.8 - that's the entire guitar solo. Cut to the two cymbal crashes that end the song.
Keep 4:52.8-4:57.9 (end) of the LP version.

Your mixdown should run 3:17.7 (including outro silence), with edits at 0:08.8, 1:59.0 and 3:12.6.

(Note: I only have the "single edit" on a copy of the TM Century library, so I based my edit points on the TM disc.)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

thecdguy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2020 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote thecdguy

There's no notation on the Discogs page for the US single as being any specific version, so does anyone here have the cassette single and can
confirm which version was used for it? I assume it was only commercially available in the US as a Cassette Single, as there is no vinyl 45 listed
for it.
Back to Top View thecdguy's Profile Search for other posts by thecdguy

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2020 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

The US commercial single is the "single edit" from the promo CD single.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version