Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Prince 45 lengths & versions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 March 2009 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Went back and read Brian's comments about the 'single remix' for "Gett Off being mis-labeled and how the remix actually starts.

I think I've located the 'single remix' on the UK Now That's What I Call Music - Vol. 20. The music starts under the opening scream and it runs 3:59.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2009 at 5:12am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

john....i have the single remix on the commercial cd single...do you need a copy??

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 March 2009 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

No, Ed, I found it, thanks.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 December 2009 at 1:00am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Here's some chart info on Billboard vs Radio & Records for post-1991 Prince hits. If find it interesting that "Money Don't Matter 2 Night" and "The Morning Papers" were both top 10 airplay hits yet charted poorly on the Hot 100.

"Song" (Hot 100 / R&R)

"Diamonds And Pearls"
3 / 1

"Money Don't Matter 2 Night"
23 / 6

"7"
7 / 2

"The Morning Papers"
44 / 7

"Pink Cashmere"
50 / 21

"The Most Beautiful Girl..."
3 / 1

"Letitgo"
31 / 16

"Eye Hate U"
12 / 36

"Gold"
88 / 39

"Betcha By Golly Wow"
- / 16

"The Holy River"
- / 15
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 December 2009 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:
If find it interesting that "Money Don't Matter 2 Night" and "The Morning Papers" were both top 10 airplay hits yet charted poorly on the Hot 100.

I think that's because Radio & Records only monitored Top 40 stations for their main chart. Billboard by that point had expanded their Hot 100 panel to include other formats as well.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

mstgator
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 December 2009 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote mstgator

Brian W. wrote:
aaronk wrote:
If find it interesting that "Money Don't Matter 2 Night" and "The Morning Papers" were both top 10 airplay hits yet charted poorly on the Hot 100.

I think that's because Radio & Records only monitored Top 40 stations for their main chart. Billboard by that point had expanded their Hot 100 panel to include other formats as well.

Also, R&R still depended on radio stations to report their playlists (not always accurate), while the Hot 100 had switched to actual monitored airplay.
Back to Top View mstgator's Profile Search for other posts by mstgator

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

aaronk wrote:
Todd Ireland wrote:
By the way, I think my earlier question regarding the single version of "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" was misunderstood. I should have better phrased my question this way: Is the commercial single an edit, different mix, or early fade of the one running 4:36 on the Beautiful Experience CD?

The mix is the same from what I can remember; however, since I don't own the full EP, I cannot do an A/B comparison to find out if it's an early fade or an edit. If it helps, here's some info about the short version:

- The spoken "bridge"/verse starts at (2:53)
- The chorus following this "bridge" strips away most instruments except the drums
- All the instruments come back at (3:30) right after the word "girl"
- The song starts fading at (3:39) and is completely finished at (4:02)

Just listened to my cassingle of "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" and it is an early fade of the LP version on the Beautiful Experience CD. Actual time is as Aaron reported above (4:02). By this time (1994) Prince was using that symbol nobody could pronounce so his name doesn't appear anywhere on the cassette or the sleeve.

Even though both "Peach" and "Nothing Compares 2 U" missed the Hot 100, I just timed both sides of my cassingle. "Peach" is a censored version of the LP version (they removed the line "when her t+*#^=s bounced" half way into the song) and runs (3:46). The live side of "NC2U" is an edit of the LP version he recorded with Rosie Gaines and runs (4:16). This edit was actually released years ago on a Warner Bros. compilation Love Jams, Vol. 2 (now out of print but available for download on iTunes).

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

mstgator wrote:
Brian W. wrote:
aaronk wrote:

Also, R&R still depended on radio stations to report their playlists (not always accurate), while the Hot 100 had switched to actual monitored airplay.

A couple other factors to consider here. As you mentioned Billboard's airplay quotient came from monitored stations, which at that point were pretty much the larger markets, while R&R had reporters in smaller, non-monitored markets as well. This could have made a difference. Also, maybe all that airplay didn't translate into sales, which was part of the Hot 100, but not R&R charts (ie-so called "turntable hits").

Did enough stations care enough about a Prince song in the 90s to inflate airplay reports? I kind of saw him as someone whose best years were behind him by that point.

Edited by Hykker on 14 March 2011 at 4:43pm
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Does anybody know if the edit of "Hot Thing" (3:40) ever made it to CD in any form, foreign or domestic?

I can edit the album version to match the edit EXCEPT one scream, which is taken from 2:33 in the edit & mixed back in at 2:51.

...Problem is, the scream is either sped up & kept at the same pitch to get it all in, or it is simply placed starting later... meaning I can't just cut on the beats... and using the vocal removal tools in Adobe Audition didn't yield satisfactory results.

I found a digital copy of the vinyl, but it has been over-cleaned, causing dropouts from time to time & the vinyl has a brittle, scratchy high end like cheap vinyl or a mis-aligned (or worn out) needle.

Anybody have a clean source for this edit? It won't play often, but I'd like it to be right & sound good when it does.

THANKS!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2011 at 1:04am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

One question about "Partyman." Even the CD promo in the pictures on Discogs says "3:11 / album version."

However, the CD starts with dialogue from the movie ("Gentlemen!" *door slam* "Let's broaden our minds!") while the video mix does NOT, and an unreliable source suggests the single version starts with the song rather than the dialogue.

However, without the dialogue, it takes us down to 3:06 and, IMHO, is NOT really the album version. It can be edited down from the album version, but the album version includes the dialogue.

Not only is the CD track marked to start with the dialogue, but the audio clip is from the part of the Batman movie where the song is actually used... it's not like it goes with the previous song.

I don't seem to have the CD promo single anymore; can someone who has the CD or the vinyl promo please listen and tell me if the dialogue is or is not included?

Thank you! It's these sorts of details that drive me crazy some nights.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

There's a 3" CD single for sale online that lists "Partyman" as having the [VIDEO MIX].

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2011 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Just checked my Back To Back Hits 45 and it starts with the dialogue.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 March 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

eriejwg wrote:
There's a 3" CD single for sale online that lists "Partyman" as having the [VIDEO MIX].

Yeah, I've got that one. The US cassette single lists A-side as "LP Version" with a listed time of 3:11.

http://www.guide2prince.org/prince-discography-2/partyman-us -cassette-single/#nogo

Edited by Brian W. on 19 March 2011 at 10:09am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 March 2011 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The Video Mix of "Partyman" is considerably longer than the album version,
if I recall correctly. Brian and John are right that the LP version is the same
as the single, including the opening dialog.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2011 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

So it DOES include the dialogue... wow.

I don't even remember hearing it on the radio, so I sure couldn't remember if the radio played the dialogue. Thanks for your help, everyone!

...one more? :-D

Does anybody remember broadcast radio in 83 - 84 playing the flip-side of "Let's Pretend We're Married," which was "Irresistible Hctib?" (I might have taken some liberties with the spelling of that second word in the title.) ;)

It charted together on the Billboard Hot 100 pop charts, & Wikipedia claims it received "equal airplay," but #1 I sure don't remember it playing on the radio in Oklahoma! and #2 it's hard to imagine in the conservative 80s it playing unedited.

(OH, & I asked a quick question about the edit of "Let's Pretend..." in the individual thread for that song.

Y'all's help is really... uh... HELPING! :-)

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2011 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

NightAire wrote:

Does anybody remember broadcast radio in 83 - 84 playing the flip-side of "Let's Pretend We're Married," which was "Irresistible Hctib?" (I might have taken some liberties with the spelling of that second word in the title.) ;)

It charted together on the Billboard Hot 100 pop charts, & Wikipedia claims it received "equal airplay," but #1 I sure don't remember it playing on the radio in Oklahoma! and #2 it's hard to imagine in the conservative 80s it playing unedited.

I don't remember either side getting airplay in Boston. It only peaked at #53 so I'd guess a lot of markets passed on that one.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Please remind me on this song that ended up as a b-side in 1985. Wasn't "Baby, I'm A Star" an edit on the 45 (a-side was "Take Me With You")? I ask because it looks like this edit will be a bonus track on the new deluxe reissue of the soundtrack album (due out in June). The listed time on my 45 is (2:55).

Edited by Santi Paradoa on 28 April 2017 at 6:23pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, "Baby I'm A Star" is an edit on the B-side. It's a very easy edit:

- Delete 0:00 to 0:15 of LP version (45 edit starts on a snare beat and piano slide, right after "1, 2, 3")
- Delete 3:03 to end of LP version
- Fade from 2:49 to 3:02 of LP version

When finished, your resulting file will run 2:48 with the fade starting at 2:35.

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

"Let's Work" has three edits, a trim from the beginning, and a fade.

Starting from the beginning of Prince's fast count, "One! Two! Three!" at the beginning of the LP version:

Remove 0:18 to 0:34.
From what is left, remove 0:21 to 0:29.
From what is left, remove 1:58 to 2:30.

Now go back and trim off the "One! Two! Three!" at the beginning so the song begins, "Let's work!"

Finally, turn the cold ending into a fade. The length of the fade runs all the way to the end of the song... but it's faded to nothing by the end.

Your resulting file should run about 2:56.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 May 2020 at 3:15am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

There is a short version of "Let's Work" on the posthumous Prince compilation, '4Ever', that seems to match the 45 except that it has been allowed to play out to the cold ending with no fade. One may be able to start with that file and just apply a fade as described above, to the last 10 seconds or so.
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version