Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Prince 45 lengths & versions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 July 2005 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I noticed in my 8th Edition, many of Prince's songs are listed as "45 Version" and "LP Version," when in fact they should be simply 45 length. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these, but here's my observations:

I Wanna Be Your Lover - should indicate "length" instead of "version"

Little Red Corvette - On the full-length CD, the songs 1999 and Little Red Corvette segue together. The first five seconds of the "Little Red Corvette" track (track 2) is the part where the segue is. For the single, they lopped off the segue and made an early fade. Technically, I suppose you could consider this a 45 "version," but that's only because the segue occurs at the beginning of track 2 (the part they edited off), and not at the end of track 1.

When Doves Cry - Another early fade of the LP Version. My book says that commercial copies ran (3:59), but I believe it should read (3:49).

Purple Rain - early fade of the LP Version

I Would Die 4 U - Here's one that I would say "45 Version" (as the book does), only because on the LP, the song segues into the next track. On the 45, they cut the song right at the segue and added a whole bunch of reverb to the last note to give it an ending.

Take Me With U - I discussed this in another post, but if your copy of the book does not indicate, the 45 actually had one edit, trimming the song down by about 10 seconds.

Kiss - This one is up for debate as well. Typically, the book lists songs as "length" even if the LP length is shorter (i.e. Daryl Hall's "Dreamtime" as EdisonLite points out in another post); however, neither this song nor "I Would Die 4 U" are songs that fade out on the LP. So I'd agree that this is a 45 "version." On the LP, "Kiss" ends at 3:37, where it segues into the next track. On the 45, there is a short acapella guitar solo that fades out, and it adds an extra seven seconds to the song. Other than that, the two versions are the same.

Mountains - Not noted in my book, but this song actually segues into the next track at the very end of the fadeout on the CD. I'll have to pull out my 45 to confirm, but I'm pretty sure they didn't just fade the LP version before the segue to create the 45; however, it is really only a matter of one or two seconds of overlap at the most.

Sign 'O' The Times - This is an early fade of the LP Version.

I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man - This one is an early fade of the LP Version.

Alphabet St. - The same thing was done with this single as was done to "I Would Die 4 U." At the 2:21 mark of the song, they chopped off the rest and added a bunch of reverb to the last note to make an ending. I would probably also call this a 45 "version."

Diamonds And Pearls - My book does not indicate, but the 45 version is an edit of the LP version. CDs listed with a 4:19 run time have the 45 version (or at least the version that was issued on the CD promo single).

7 - My book doesn't mention it, but the version on the full-length CD has a five-second "gong"-like sound effect. The version on The Hits 1 cuts the first five seconds off, and the vocal starts cold. I do not know if the intro was removed for the 45 & commercial copies of the CD/cassette single. (Brian notes below that the commercial CD single removes the 5 second intro.)

The Most Beautiful Girl In The World - My book doesn't indicate, but the version on The Gold Experience is not the hit version. It was remixed on this CD and has a completely different ending.

Edited by aaronk on 09 July 2005 at 12:19pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2005 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Good work, Aaron! I'll check my commercial CD single of "7" when I get home tonight to see if it has the intro.

By the way, I don't know if I ever mentioned that the 45 edit of "Little Red Corvette" was issued on a BackTrax CD single back in '92. As far as I know, that's the only place to get the 45 version on CD, over a minute shorter than what's on "The Hits." I don't know if it's still in print, but there are multiple copies on Half.com right now:

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1897859&pr=332224 9
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, I remember reading that in one of your other posts, Brian. For those of us who would like to make our own 45 version, it's basically just fading out the version on The Hits 2 from 2:56 to 3:08. On The Hits 2, the song does not start out with the tail end of "1999" at the beginning (where the drums of "Little Red Corvette" are fading in). Correct me if I'm wrong, the 45 is also missing this "fade in" at the beginning, and it simply starts with the drums and synthesizer like on The Hits 2 CD.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2005 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

aaronk wrote:
When Doves Cry - Another early fade of the LP Version. My book says that commercial copies ran (3:59), but I believe it should read (3:49).

You beat me to the punch, Aaron. I was on the verge of asking Pat whether the correct run time for DJ and commercial 45 copies of "When Doves Cry" should read (3:49). If (3:59) is the correct run time, then shouldn't all CDs where the song runs 3:47 include the comment: (:12 shorter than the DJ and 45 version)?

aaronk wrote:
The Most Beautiful Girl In The World - My book doesn't indicate, but the version on The Gold Experience is not the hit version. It was remixed on this CD and has a completely different ending.

Is "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" an edit, a different mix, or an early fade of the one appearing on The Beautiful Experience (NPG 71003) CD?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 July 2005 at 12:26am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Todd, I'm not sure about DJ copies, but I quite certain that commercial copies of "When Doves Cry" have a printed run time of (3:49). I just don't have my copy in front of me to reference for sure.

The mix of "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" on The Beautiful Experience is the hit version. (Well, at least the last track is the hit version--the others are remixes.) I don't own the full EP; I only have the single, which contains a shorter version of the song, rather than the full (4:36) version on the EP. I believe the shorter version on the commercial CD single would be considered the "45 version"; this was also the version played by most radio stations.

As I stated in my earlier post, the version of "The Most Beautiful Girl..." on The Gold Experience is remixed. It is not an edit or early fade of the one appearing on The Beautiful Experience. They are similar, but there are obvious differences in the keyboards, the drums during the second verse, and the way the song ends.

To recap, "TMBGITW" appears in the following versions on each CD:
The Beautiful Experience (LP Version)
2-track CD Single of "TMBGITW" (45 Version)
The Gold Experience (remixed)

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2005 at 1:21am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Okay, my two-track US commercial CD single of "7" does start cold with the acapella vocal. Total running time is 5:09. Second track is the Acoustic Version, running 3:53.

And, yes, the 45 version of "Little Red Corvette" on the BackTrax single does start cold. (BTW, I didn't realize until I was about 30 years old that he wasn't singing about a car!)

Edited by Brian W. on 09 July 2005 at 1:30am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 July 2005 at 1:31am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

A few more songs I should add...

My Name Is Prince - My research shows that commercial and promo CD single copies have the "Edit" as the lead track. The book should probably indicate "LP Version" next to the listings for Prince & The New Power Generation (aka The Love Symbol Album).

(Eye) Hate U - No version is indicated in my book, but it probably should read "LP Version." I can say for certain that the promo single and import CD singles have the (7" Edit w/o Guitar) version as the lead off track. I do not remember if there was a commercial US CD single released.

Letitgo - No version is indicated in my book, but it should probably read "LP Version." If anyone can verify, I believe the CD single's lead track is the "Edit Version," which was the same one issued on the promo single.

To make the thread complete, I might as well identify the rest of the Prince top 40 hits...

1999 - The book correctly identifies which CDs contain the LP and 45 versions.

Delirious - The book correctly identifies which CDs contain the LP and 45 versions.

Let's Go Crazy - The book correctly identifies each CD as having the LP version. To my knowledge, the 45 version of "Let's Go Crazy" has never been issued commercially on CD anywhere in the world. The only CD I know of that has the 45 version is a TM Century Gold Disc. It sounds like the song on their disc is from a CD source, but it was most likely edited by TM to match the 45. The 45 version is a (3:46) edit of the LP Version (although it actually runs closer to 3:48).

Raspberry Beret - The 45 contains the LP Version.

Pop Life - The 45 contains the LP Version.

U Got The Look - The 45 contains the LP Version.

Batdance - The book correctly identifies each CD as having the LP version. (...I think...) I own the commercial CD single, which has only remixes of the song. The version that radio stations played (and I'm guessing the one on the commercial 45) is a (4:06) edit of the LP Version. The commercial cassette single contains the full LP Version. (Posted below, the conclusion is now that the cassette single has the "Edit," and that my initial thoughts are probably not correct.)

Partyman - I don't own any copies of the single, (other than the 12" which has remixes) so I can only assume that since the book doesn't list a comment, the (3:11) LP Version is also on the 45.

The Arms Of Orion - I don't own any copies of the single, so I can only assume that since the book doesn't list a comment, the (5:02) LP Version is also on the 45. (Thanks to Brian and Todd's help below, the singles contain an "edit," but it is still to be determined whether this edit is just an early fade or not.)

Thieves In The Temple - I own the CD Single, which contains remixes only. I'm guessing that the vinyl 45 contains the (3:19) LP Version, since no comments are listed in my book.

Gett Off - I will assume that since no comments are listed in my book, the 45 has the (4:29) LP Version. (See Brian's reply below for an update.)

Cream - I will assume that since no comments are listed in my book, the 45 has the (4:12) LP Version.

Money Don't Matter 2 Night - I will assume that since no comments are listed in my book, the 45 has the (4:46) LP Version; however, I know that a promo single exists with an edited version. I do not know if the edited version ever appeared on any commercial formats of the single. (Thanks to Todd's post below, we have verified that the commercial cassette single has an edit of the LP Version, and hence the "45 version" would be the "Edit.")

Edited by aaronk on 09 July 2005 at 12:28pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 July 2005 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for your info, Brian. WHAT? "Little Red Corvette" is NOT about a car??? (hehe...)

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2005 at 3:47am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:

(Eye) Hate U - No version is indicated in my book, but it probably should read "LP Version." I can say for certain that the promo single and import CD singles have the (7" Edit w/o Guitar) version as the lead off track. I do not remember if there was a commercial US CD single released.

There was, both a maxi and a two-track, and I just ordered the two-track, so I'll let you know when I receive it.

aaronk wrote:
Letitgo - No version is indicated in my book, but it should probably read "LP Version." If anyone can verify, I believe the CD single's lead track is the "Edit Version," which was the same one issued on the promo single.

Just ordered that one, too. I've been meaning to get these Prince singles for a while.

aaronk wrote:
Let's Go Crazy - The book correctly identifies each CD as having the LP version. To my knowledge, the 45 version of "Let's Go Crazy" has never been issued commercially on CD anywhere in the world.

Yeah, I have searched exhaustively for this on CD, and I've never found it. I ended up making my own edit from the LP version as well. A poster on the Steve Hoffman site swears the single was a different mix, but I'm just not hearing it. I'm skeptical, especially since he said, "The single mix isn't even similar to the album mix." I have seen some indication that the promo 12" did contain an edit of the extended dance mix, which IS a noticably different mix, but I've never actually bought one to find out.

aaronk wrote:
BatdanceThe commercial cassette single contains the full LP Version.

Wow, I didn't know that! Are you positive? I do own the promo CD single with both versions, though.

aaronk wrote:
Partyman - I don't own any copies of the single, (other than the 12" which has remixes) so I can only assume that since the book doesn't list a comment, the (3:11) LP Version is also on the 45.

Well, Whitburn does list the running time as 3:11. That's another cassette single that I wish I hadn't thrown away, because I just don't remember what was on it. I know there was a Video Mix of Partyman that was on most of the import CD singles, but I do seem to recall the cassette single being the LP version. Hmm...

aaronk wrote:
The Arms Of Orion - I don't own any copies of the single, so I can only assume that since the book doesn't list a comment, the (5:02) LP Version is also on the 45.

Well, Whitburn lists 3:40, but the edit version on my import CD single runs 3:52, so I don't know.

aaronk wrote:
Gett Off - I will assume that since no comments are listed in my book, the 45 has the (4:29) LP Version.

Now this I do know: I picked up the cassette single a few weeks ago, and it's NOT the LP Version. I THINK it's the "Single Remix," which is the leadoff track on the US maxi CD single. I personally can't tell any mix differences, but the word "ass" on "Move your big ass round this way" is scrambled. (And if you've never heard the Extended Remix of this song, pick up that maxi single -- it's got several extra verses.) It's also possible it's simply a "clean" album version. Like I said, I don't HEAR any other differences.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2005 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

aaronk wrote:
The Arms Of Orion - I don't own any copies of the single, so I can only assume that since the book doesn't list a comment, the (5:02) LP Version is also on the 45.

I posted information about this and several other Prince singles recently in the "Single/album distinctions..." message thread. I have a commercial cassingle copy of "The Arms of Orion" and it runs 3:51. The cassette itself states "Edit" on the label but incorrectly states a run time of (3:40). Without having performed a direct A/B comparison, the single to me appears to be an early fade and not an edit of its LP counterpart.

aaronk wrote:
Money Don't Matter 2 Night - I will assume that since no comments are listed in my book, the 45 has the (4:46) LP Version; however, I know that a promo single exists with an edited version. I do not know if the edited version ever appeared on any commercial formats of the single.

My cassette single copy of Prince's "Money Don't Matter 2 Night" clocks in at 4:10 and is an edit of the LP version.

By the way, I think my earlier question regarding the single version of "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" was misunderstood. I should have better phrased my question this way: Is the commercial single an edit, different mix, or early fade of the one running 4:36 on the Beautiful Experience CD?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 09 July 2005 at 11:33am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2005 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Brian W. wrote:
Okay, my two-track US commercial CD single of "7" does start cold with the acapella vocal. Total running time is 5:09. Second track is the Acoustic Version, running 3:53.

So I guess it can be officially concluded then that the 5:13 version of "7" with the :05 introduction is the LP version, while the 5:08 version without the intro is the 45 version.

Another mystery solved by the good folks at www.top40musiconcd.com! :-)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 09 July 2005 at 12:10pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 July 2005 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Brain W. wrote:
A poster on the Steve Hoffman site swears the single was a different mix, but I'm just not hearing it. I'm skeptical, especially since he said, "The single mix isn't even similar to the album mix." I have seen some indication that the promo 12" did contain an edit of the extended dance mix, which IS a noticably different mix, but I've never actually bought one to find out.

Brian, if there's a difference in the mix of "Let's Go Crazy," I'm also not hearing it. Also, I can't hear any difference in the 12" Extended Dance Mix either, which I do own a copy of. The only difference is they spliced in an extra two and a half minutes in the middle. If anything, I'd say the only difference on the 12" is that it's EQ'd differently, but even that is a stretch. Also, I'm 99% sure that on the promo 12", the "Edit" is the 45 version, which is just an edit of the album version...and the album version is just an edit of the extended dance mix.

Brian W. wrote:
aaronk wrote:

Batdance - The commercial cassette single contains the full LP Version.

Wow, I didn't know that! Are you positive? I do own the promo CD single with both versions, though.

Actually, I'll take it back... I think the cassette single did contain the "Edit."

Todd Ireland wrote:
By the way, I think my earlier question regarding the single version of "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" was misunderstood. I should have better phrased my question this way: Is the commercial single an edit, different mix, or early fade of the one running 4:36 on the Beautiful Experience CD?

The mix is the same from what I can remember; however, since I don't own the full EP, I cannot do an A/B comparison to find out if it's an early fade or an edit. If it helps, here's some info about the short version:

- The spoken "bridge"/verse starts at (2:53)
- The chorus following this "bridge" strips away most instruments except the drums
- All the instruments come back at (3:30) right after the word "girl"
- The song starts fading at (3:39) and is completely finished at (4:02)

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2005 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I wanted to point out, as you'll see when I post the Variety 1981 chart, that "Controversy" was a Top 40 seller. It peaked at #37 on 11/25/81 (11/16/81).

Likewise, Purple Medley was a #40 seller in Billboard.

(And has anyone noticed that "Gett Off" was a top ten seller in Billboard? Its Hot 100 position was hurt by airplay peaking at #56. Same with "Sexy M.F." -- #34 sales in Billboard. Guess radio programmers found them a bit risque...)

Edited by Brian W. on 13 July 2005 at 1:21pm

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2005 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Got the commercial two-tracks for "I Hate U" and "Letitgo." (Also the promo for I Hate U.)

"I Hate U" is the same as track two on the promo CD, the 4:24 (actual) Edit, b/w the Quiet Nite Mix by Eric Leeds at 3:55 (actual).

"Letitgo" does not specify a version (except it does say "Edit by Chronic Freeze"), but it runs an actual 4:14. Other track is a song called "Solo."

Edited by Brian W. on 17 July 2005 at 10:46am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2005 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks for the updates on "Letitgo" and "I Hate U", Brian. Looks like only the LP version for both songs have been made available on a domestic CD release.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2005 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

More evidence that the censored version of "Gett Off" called "Single Remix" on the US maxi-single is actually mislabeled:

I forgot I had the promo CD maxi-single for this! There are six different versions on it, and what is called "Single Remix" on the promo maxi-single (and on the UK commercial single) is NOT the same as what's called the "Single Remix" on the domestic (commercial) CD single. On the promo and import, the "Single Remix" is an edit of the Extended Remix, with extra lyrics. It's immediately identifiable by his opening scream, which overlaps the music on the promo and UK versions, but not NOT overlap the music in what is called "Single Remix" on the US release.

In short, it appears to me that what's called "Single Remix" on the domestic commercial CD maxi-single is actually the "clean" LP version, aka the 45 version, and is simply mislabled on that CD.

Does that make sense???

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 July 2005 at 1:27am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the updates on this, Todd & Brian!

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 July 2005 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I have obtained a commercial US vinyl 45 or "Arms Of Orion" and the label states a running time of (3:40) but actually runs (3:51). As has been suggested earlier in this thread, it is simply a fade of the LP length.

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 August 2005 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Quote:

Yeah, I have searched exhaustively for this on CD, and I've never found it. I ended up making my own edit from the LP version as well. A poster on the Steve Hoffman site swears the single was a different mix, but I'm just not hearing it. I'm skeptical, especially since he said, "The single mix isn't even similar to the album mix." I have seen some indication that the promo 12" did contain an edit of the extended dance mix, which IS a noticably different mix, but I've never actually bought one to find out.

Re: Let's Go Crazy
Hi !
New here! I was wondering if the reference to the 45 version of "Let's Go Crazy" being a different mix meant the crossfade. No one mentioned that, wasn't sure if it was being described as an edit.
The rest of the song, I agree, sounds like essentially the same mix, but the crossfaded intro is unique to the 45. Someone hearing it might assume that the intro was remixed. Was this discussed? -Mark M
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 August 2005 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Welcome to the board.

No, my remixed comments were in reference to the whole song. I think the 45 version is just the LP mix with the crossfaded intro and an extra edit toward the end.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version