Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: michael jackson "heal the world" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 March 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my cassingle issued as epic 74708 contains, as the A-side, a non described version which runs 6:24 and is identical to the full length cd/album version......this should be corrected in the db b/c it says the cassingle runs version runs 6:17...

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2013 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Regarding Michael Jackson's "Heal the World", the database currently notes that "dj copies of this 45 ran (4:31) and (4:54)". This is based on the promo CD single release on Epic ESK 74708 and I thought it might be helpful to also note the track descriptions for the benefit of database subscribers:

1) 7" Edit - 4:31
2) 7" Edit with Intro - 4:54

Meanwhile, according to my research, there was another promo CD single release for this song on Epic ESK 74790 with the following tracks and printed run times:

1) Heal the World (7" Edit with Intro) - 4:54
2) Heal the World - 6:25

If someone who has a copy could please report the actual timing info, it would be most helpful.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2014 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

As a follow up to my previous post, here are the actual run times for the 2-track "Heal the World" promo CD single release on Epic ESK 74790:

1) Heal the World (7" Edit with Intro) - 4:54
2) Heal the World - 6:24
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2015 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

It looks like the '7" Edit With Intro' version appeared as the b-side of a second US "Special Edition" cassette single release (in place of "She Drives Me Wild".)

This version comes in a case and has the lyrics to the song printed inside... which Sony deemed important enough to advertise on the front sleeve.

http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-Heal-The-World/releas e/3981819

Edited by Underground Dub on 13 September 2015 at 9:21pm
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2015 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Ah yes, another '90s song...

The single that was the top 40 hit here in the U.S. was Epic 74790 - i.e., the re-issue w/ the "(7" Edit with Intro)" on the B-side, and came in the plastic case w/ lyrics, as shown in Underground Dub's post. The one that edtop40 pictures in the cardboard sleeve w/ "She Drives Me Wild" on the B-side is the original pressing on Epic 74708, which FAILED to crack the top 40 (sorry, ed!)...

All of my old issues of Billboard magazine from 1992-93 are packed away in storage at the moment, but when "Heal the World" first debuted on the "Hot 100" at #74 in the 12/12/92 issue, it was the original on Epic 74708. The song then struggled its way up the chart, peaking at #27 in its 15th week in the 03/20/93 issue, and was then ultimately retired after its 20th week, when it had dipped to #42 on 04/24/93...

I don't know the exact date/week it occurred, but by the song's 9th week on the "Hot 100" - the 02/06/93 issue, when it sat at #56, and had been no higher than #52 the week before - it was then shown in the magazine as being the RE-ISSUE on Epic 74790. (That was the closest I could come from the back issues I could view on-line on Google Books here.) "Heal the World" then did a turn-around on the chart, but would NOT enter the top 40 until its 12th week, in the 02/27/93 issue, where it would stay for the next eight weeks. Those eight weeks in the top 40 were all on Epic 74790, and NOT Epic 74708...

Now, are the A-sides of Epic 74708 & 74790 identical??? While I don't own either of them myself, yes, it appears they are. I just know that Record Research's chart books - whether referencing Billboard, or more recently, Cash Box - only elect to list the original version of "Heal the World" on Epic 74708 as charting during the song's entire run, which is incomplete - and therefore, misleading. And while I admit I don't own Joel Whitburn's most recent edition of Top Pop Singles, and therefore a footnote may have since been added in this case, there are still other examples in his books...

Edited by 80smusicfreak on 14 September 2015 at 12:14am
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 September 2015 at 12:50am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Wow, I did not know that! I remember seeing the plastic
shell version and thinking it was a maxi. Thanks for
posting this.

Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 September 2015 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Great info 80smusicfreak! We may have to put in for that name change yet. 90smusicfreak does have a nice ring to it. ;)

I only recall the second release and thought it seemed 'wrong' that "She Drives Me Wild" was on the flip when I came across a copy in the cardboard slipcase a few weeks ago. A bit of research later I realized it was due to the different pressings.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 September 2015 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

80smusicfreak is correct...i just went back and looked at
the actually billboard chart from february 27, 1993 (the
week the song entered the top 40 of the hot 100), and clear
as day it says the label and catalog number is epic
74790.....great catch!!!!!!.....so....paul haney, the
billboard books need to be updated, if they have been
already, because both my old copies of the top 40 hits and