Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Chi-Lites "Oh Girl" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 March 2008 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I just picked up a promo copy on "Oh Girl" by the Chi-Lites, printed time is 2:59 (on both mono and stereo side) but the actual time is 3:16 on both sides. I think the stock copy lists the 2:59 time also, so the entry in the database should be, "45 version runs 3:12, not 2:59 as stated on label".

Soemone with a stock copy could verify.

Edited by Bill Cahill on 10 March 2008 at 5:56pm
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2008 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Ready for a shocker?

My stock 45, Capitol pressing plant copy (from the Scranton, PA plant), has a label time of 3:16, but it runs 3:46! It is also a stereo 45. Matrix in the trial out is 7-286 Wi (that's a W and next to it either a small 1 or a small i).

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2008 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I did a careful timing. Both stereo and mono sides on the 2:59 label promo are 3:16. Not 3:12.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Any chance you can shoot me a dub of your 45? I'm just surprised that mine would list 3:16 on the label but would play a full 30 seconds longer than that.... but on searching ebay, i saw at least 2 other label printing variations for the 45 (both on styrene pressings) so perhaps one of them does contain the actual 3:16 version?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 March 2008 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Looks like Tom's 45 copy is pretty much identical to the LP length. Thank you, gentlemen, for helping clarify the 45 run time info because, geez, the CD run times for "Oh Girl" are all over the map!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my vinyl 45 issued as brunswick 55471 states a run time on
the label as 3:16 but actually runs 3:12.....the run out
groove etching is machine stamped as '7-286-1B'...there
must be multiple pressings on this vinyl 45......anybody
else want to contribute their etching?

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote KentT

Yes, there is a pressing run or two of "Oh Girl" 7-286Wi with the long version. I have mainly seen them on Scranton, PA Capitol vinyl pressings and one batch from the successor to Capitol's Scranton, PA plant, North American Music Industries. Never seen this variant from Columbia or other plants Brunswick used in this era. Does the Promo single have a long side? I haven't seen one in many years to know.

Edited by KentT on 18 July 2012 at 6:19am

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

I know I bought the shorter 3:16 version and my cousin had the longer version.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 July 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

looks like there are 3 version of the 45....mark was kind
enough to send me the version from the soul hits cd which
runs 3:18 and it is NOT the same as my vinyl 45.....there
are a few edits i cannot exactly locate....the first,
though is at 1:08 of the song....does anyone have the 3:11
version on any of the db cd's.....it looks like that my be
the vinyl 45 version i have.....

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2012 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

john was kind enough to recreate the vinyl 45 version for
me.....my vinyl 45 as i listed above has two small edits
and then runs longer than the 3:15 version that i
originally compared it to.....if anyone would like a copy
of my vinyl 45 for their review, please send me a
pm....THANKS, john....this anomaly s/b noted in the db...

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 July 2012 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

If there is a 3rd commercial pressing of this 45, it would be one that mimics Bill Cahill's dj copy i.e. one that states a running time of (2:59) but actually runs (3:16). My guess is that Bill's pressing was strictly dj only but let's put out a shout to see if anyone has a commercial copy of Oh Girl that states a running time of (2:59) but actually runs (3:16).

I just compared my vinyl 45 which runs (3:12) with the Rhino cd "The Incredible Soul Collection" and they are identical.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat was kind enough to send me an mp3 of his vinyl 45 and
it's clearly NOT the same as mine....i sent him a copy of
mine for his review and i will await his feedback as
well......but for the time being, here is what i can gather
as to what the differences are.....mine and his are the
same from 0:00 to 1:08, mine edits out about 0:03 of the
bridge while pat's does not....at the 2:35 of pat's 45
there is another 0:03 edit on mine and his fades 0:06
longer....so the time are about the same but they're NOT
the same versions......pat, do you agree??

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 July 2012 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I'm curious who has an early pressing and who has a later
pressing of the 45. If the edits were on the initial
pressings and not on later pressings or vice versa.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 July 2012 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Ed I have listened to your 45 and my 45 side by side and yes there are some very small edits (not on the order of :03 each though) and I have to ask why a record company would edit a couple of seconds out of a song that runs (3:12).

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd say that the best thing ever to happen to a recording act's catalog is to have a greatest hits disc on Rhino, released in the 1988-1995 time frame. Bill Inglot mastered so many stellar packages, all from low-generation source tapes, with terrific dynamic range, no extra compression/limiting, no noise reduction, and reasonable EQ. I'm a fan.

Which brings us to the Chi-Lites' 1972 hit, "Oh Girl". Start with Rhino's Greatest Hits (1992), and we'll take it from there.

LP and long 45 length (3:47)

The first CD I know of that features the full LP version is Rhino's Greatest Hits (1992), where it runs 3:47. It sounds stellar here, with all of the nice Rhino characteristics that I listed above. On the opening downbeat, the guitar strum is on the left, and the bass note is on the right. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Rhino's cheapie Seventies Smash Hits Vol. 6 (1993) - digitally identical
  • JCI's Only Rock 'N Roll 1975-1979 (1994)
  • Rhino's Billboard Hot Soul Hits 1972 (1995) - digitally identical
All of these discs sound great.

There's a new analog transfer on Brunswick's 2-CD The Brunswick Years Vol. 1 (1995), which runs 3:45, and runs about about 1.4% faster than the Rhino Greatest Hits. I was really disappointed with the sound on this disc, despite mastering credit to Dennis Drake. There's a severe left/right channel imbalance, and a dropout around 0:53. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Body And Soul Vol. 1 Love Serenade (1998) - digitally exactly 1 dB quieter
Short 45 length (3:12)

The short 45 version is just an early fade of the LP version, fading from the downbeat at 2:58, for 16 beats, to 3:12. The 45 is in stereo. I assume that the left/right channels match what's on Greatest Hits, and that the 45 speed matches what's on Greatest Hits, but can't confirm either one.

I see that this length is on a few of the later Rhino compilations (all 3:11), but I don't have any and can't vouch for the sound.

In my library, I use a homemade fade of Rhino's Greatest Hits (1992), following the instructions above.

Now, we sort out the hodgepodge of masterings that are out there. All of the following are early fades of the LP version (i.e. no edits).

The oldest CD I have with "Oh Girl" is Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 3 1972 (1989), which runs 3:27. Here, it runs about 1.4% faster than the Rhino Greatest Hits CD. It sounds a little murkier than that disc, as if it were from higher-generation source tapes. It fades from about 3:08 to 3:27. The left/right channels match the Rhino Greatest Hits CD. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Heartland/Warner Special Products' 2-CD Always (1990) - differently-EQ'd digital clone
  • Time-Life's 4-CD Great Love Songs Of The 70's And 80's Vol. 3 Missing You (1991) - digitally identical
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Sweet '70s Soul (1991) - L/R channels reversed, and somehow extends a few seconds longer
  • Starland/Warner Special Products' 2-CD 40 Summer Fun Hits (1993)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Body Talk (1994) - digitally exactly 0.1 dB quieter
There's a different analog transfer on Rhino's Billboard Top R&B Hits 1972 (1990), which runs 3:28. This disc sounds much better than the Time-Life disc, and is comparable to the Rhino Greatest Hits disc. Here, it runs at the same speed as the Rhino disc, and fades from 3:13 to 3:28. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Superhits Vol. 11 1972 (1991) - left/right channels are reversed, as are all the tracks on this CD
  • Time-Life's AM Gold Vol. 7 1972 (1991) - left/right channels are reversed; this is the same disc as Superhits, but with different packaging
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul Vol. 7 1972 (1996) - absolute polarity inverted, which is insignificant and doesn't affect sound quality
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul #1 Love Songs Of The '70s (2000) - digitally exactly 0.42 dB quieter than Solid Gold Soul Vol. 7 1972
There's a new analog transfer on Rhino's Didn't It Blow Your Mind Vol. 7 (1991), which runs 3:17. Sound quality is comparable to Greatest Hits, but it runs about 0.3% faster (insignificant, but noticeable in a side-by-side comparison). The fade is from 3:08 to 3:17.

It appears from posts upstream in this thread that there's a pressing of the 45 out there that includes some edits. I don't have this version. Not sure what's on the promo 45, either.

My recommendations

For the LP and long 45 length, go with Rhino's Greatest Hits (1992) or one of its digital clones.

For the short 45 length, apply a fade from the downbeat at 2:58, for 16 beats, to 3:12, of either Rhino's Greatest Hits (1992) or Rhino's Billboard Top R&B Hits 1972 (1990), or any of their digital clones.

Edoz
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 May 2019 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Edoz

Ok, I'm still confused. Pat's entry for this has a number of CD's that have a 3:26 (or thereabouts) run time, and yet...they are not flagged as being something other than the 45 version. Crapfromthepast lists these as "early fades of the LP version" so why aren't they so noted in Pat's entry?
Back to Top View Edoz's Profile Search for other posts by Edoz

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 May 2019 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

There is an indication above that there were a number of different pressings of this 45 (some of which have slight edits) which I do not have so it is impossible for me to make a clarifying statement as to what those (3:26) length entries really are.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

All the 3:27-3:28 discs I listed above are early fades of the LP length. No edits.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version