Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: green jelly (jello)--three little pigs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 October 2004 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

can anybody in musicland help me find the stupid edit of the song "three little pigs" by green jello/jelly on cd.........the stupid edit was only issued (as far as i know) on the usa commercial cassingle which runs 4:46 in length.....the lp version runs 5:54 in length and the edit version on the uk import cd single runs 4:35 in length.....any help would be appreciated

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 October 2004 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

From the 10th edition of Top 40 Music On Compact disc, I list 2 edited versions of "Three Little Pigs". One runs 4:20 on Rhino 72124 Dr. Demento 25th Anniversary Collection and the other is on Razor & Tie 4569 '90s Style running 4:33.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2004 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

thx for the info, but i need the 4:46 version........

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 November 2004 at 3:35am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

In your book, you state that the (4:20) and (4:33) edits of Green Jelly/Jello's "Three Little Pigs" are both the 45 version. I'm curious... where did these 45 versions originate? As edtop40 points out, the commercial cassette single of "Three Little Pigs" features the "Stupid Edit", which runs 4:46. Why then wouldn't the "Stupid Edit" be considered the official 45 version? Also, how can the 4:20 and 4:33 versions both be considered the 45 version when there's a 13 second difference between them? Which one is considered the correct 45 length?

And while we're on this topic... let's say a given Top 40 song was released commercially on both cassette single and vinyl single, but each feature a different version of the song on the "A" side. Which of the two would take precedence as the "true" 45 version? If the song in question sells more copies on cassette single than on vinyl 45 single, shouldn't the cassette single in this case be given higher consideration for determining the 45 version? What do you think?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 November 2004 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

hey todd & moderator...the commercial cassingle issued in early 1993 for the song "three little pigs" by green jelly was issued on zoo 14088....a short time after that maybe even co-incident with, there was a 45 issued by zoo BUT was NOT the same catalog number as was shown on the billboard charts.......so as far as i'm concerned the cassingle issued on the zoo 14088 label IS the only version that should be considered the OFFICIAL single version..........problem is, as i've stated above, the stupid edit which is on the a side of the cassingle IS NOT available anywhere else........i have both promo cd singles one by green jelly and one by green jello (the bands first name) and it DOES NOT include the stupid edit on either....it only contains the edit version and lp version......the edit version is also available on the european cd single

edtop40

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 November 2004 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I just reviewed the 45 rpm of "Three Little Pigs" and compared it to the two cd's that I list as being the 45 version. The Dr. Demento 25th Anniversary cd is the vinyl 45 version but with a different drum introduction! The Razor & Tie 4569 cd titled '90s Style has the right drum introduction but they missed an edit about 3 minutes into the song so it is neither the 45 or LP version. So now I have to get a hold of the cassette single to see how that compares to the cd releases.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 December 2005 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just spent some time over the weekend re-creating the 45 version for Ed (using his cassingle as a reference). The "Stupid Edit" is nothing more than the LP version with the intro snipped off (to where the drums start), plus the chorus looped at the end as it fades out. There are no other edits in this version.

So, I'm wondering if the version on '90s Style is the "Edit" from the promo single. I don't have the Razor & Tie disc to compare; however, the "Edit" version runs (4:33).
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 4:45am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Just reviving an old thread... The database says "neither 45 nor LP version" for this song on '90s Style, but it should probably read "DJ edit." Also, a notation could be made that "DJ copies run (4:33) and (5:54)," as Ed documented earlier in this thread.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

But that edit that Ed mentions is on an import cd single which is out of the boundaries of the database which deals with domestic cd's and dj edits.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat Downey wrote:
But that edit that Ed mentions is on an import cd single which is out of the boundaries of the database which deals with domestic cd's and dj edits.

Actually, Ed says that his two US promo singles contain the "Edit" and "LP version," and that the "Edit" is ALSO on the import single.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Where does Ed say anything about his two US promo singles?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

edtop40 wrote:
........i have both promo cd singles one by green jelly and one by green jello (the bands first name) and it DOES NOT include the stupid edit on either....it only contains the edit version and lp version......the edit version is also available on the european cd single

edtop40
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

So just to make sure we're clear then... The 4:33 version found on the '90s Style CD (Razor & Tie 4569) is believed to be the radio edit issued one of the promo CD single releases? Has anyone A/B'ed the two to be sure?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 July 2006 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I haven't A/B'd them, as I don't own either one. I was hoping Pat or Ed could help out on this issue.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

just got back form vaca..........i will compare tonite.....

prisdeej
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2020 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote prisdeej

Discogs lists a second promo CD single ZP17123-2 with a CHR Edit with a run time of 4:17. Could this be the "neither" 4:20 version listed in the database?

Edited by prisdeej on 20 March 2020 at 1:23pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 June 2021 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Nope, the Dr. Demento compilation is really a "neither" version. This version mimics the structure of the CHR Edit, but uses the LP mix. Yes, the CHR Edit is a noticeably
different mix. The opening drum beats are different, so there are only two drum hits instead of four quick drum beats. The second verse has been re-recorded in places,
changing the "ganga smokin'" to "in the sun just soakin'." The CHR Mix also has the lead electric guitar and vocals noticeably louder in the mix.

ZP12111-2
1. Edit (listed 4:29; actual 4:33)
2. non-described version (listed & actual 5:54)

ZP12123-2
1. Edit (listed 4:29; actual 4:34)
2. CHR Edit (listed 4:17; actual 4:20)

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 June 2021 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

My US commercial 45 states the run time as 4:17,
actually runs 4:20, and matches Aaron's description of
the 'CHR Edit'. So it looks like the US cassette single
and commercial 45 were different.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register