Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: ’80s non-top 40 hits, yet classics today Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 September 2011 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Fetta

I think I may have it but may take me a few days to pull... I will send
you a mint needle drop.
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 October 2012 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

Funny thing is, I think many 80s listeners would recognize Kershaw's "Wouldn't It Be Good" simply because it was rerecorded by danny hutton and the hitters for Pretty In Pink. Actually had a friend streaming a new wave 80s station one day and the kershaw version came on and she said she loved the song because it was on the Pretty in Pink soundtrack, so I didn't hesitate in destroying her excitement by pointing out that it wasn't actually the same version.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 October 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

That Romantics sone "What I Like About You" seemed to come out of nowhere in recent years. being steeped in mostly top 40 music in the late 70s/early 80s, I had certainly never heard of the song, and I only knew "I Melt With You" by Modern English from the film "Valley Girl" from 1985.

My feeble take on this is that the generation that were weaned on 80s music had less regard for charts, and status, especially because MTV, new in the early 80s, couldn't afford to limit itself to whatever was new and popular until around late 1983.

musicmanatl
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2012 at 4:41am | IP Logged Quote musicmanatl

That's interesting that you never heard "What I Like About You" when it was out in 1980. I was living outside Cleveland at that time, and I heard that record quite a bit. I always assumed that it didn't reach the top 40 because top 40 radio was so soft at the time - more Kenny Rogers and less Romantics, so to speak. :)

Frank
Back to Top View musicmanatl's Profile Search for other posts by musicmanatl

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2012 at 5:50am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

musicmanatl wrote:
That's interesting that you never heard "What I Like About You" when it was out in 1980. I was living outside Cleveland at that time, and I heard that record quite a bit.

Likewise around Boston, it got a lot of airplay. I was very surprised when I updated my Whitburn a couple years later and found it was only a mid-charter.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 October 2012 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

musicmanatl wrote:
That's interesting that you never heard "What I Like About You" when it was out in 1980. I was living outside Cleveland at that time, and I heard that record quite a bit. I always assumed that it didn't reach the top 40 because top 40 radio was so soft at the time - more Kenny Rogers and less Romantics, so to speak. :)

Frank

Music was more regional back then. It got nowhere out here. I suppose the college crowd had it, but I was still in high school back then.   People out here were into either R&B/funk or country in 1980.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2015 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

eriejwg wrote:
One note about the LP version of "We Said Hello Goodbye."
If I recall, the 45 didn't have the long instrumental intro like the LP. The 45 I think was just over 3:00.

So was there ever an official promo release that shaved off the long piano intro?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 4:57am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

On "We Said Hello Goodbye" my recollection is that there wasn't much airplay on the song until (as cmmmbase noted) it was included on the soundtrack of the movie "Playing For Keeps". That version was a remix and as I recall, drove the airplay. Although some PDs might not have known that it was a remix and grabbed the 45 version. I don't recall Atlantic sending either a new 45 or a soundtrack to promote it, I think I had to go to Turtles to buy the soundtrack. But they might have re-sent the soundtrack with a sticker on it promoting the song after the airplay started to grow, I can't remember. I believe the majority of the airplay happened after the final single from "No Jacket Required" and before "Invisible Touch" but I might be wrong with the timing.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

We Said Hello Goodbye hit Billboard's AC chart 4/2/88 and
peaked at #34 (15 weeks on the chart).

Edited by cmmmbase on 14 July 2015 at 5:49am
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Is the remix of "We Said Hello Goodbye" noticeably different? Was the "Playing for Keeps" soundtrack released on CD?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 July 2015 at 4:35am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Looks like Programmers may have gone to the song later
than I remembered. There was a move to "even out"
playlists in the late 80's by going back and grabbing
songs (usually pop songs) that in some programmer's
minds "should have" been hits. I just remember
specifically finding the soundtrack version because that
was supposed to be the better mix.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 July 2015 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite wrote:
Was the "Playing for Keeps" soundtrack released on CD?

Indeed, it was. Label & no. for the U.S. CD was Atlantic 81678-2; I have it myself. The soundtrack was a complete flop (didn't even make the top 200 in Billboard), and thus was a cut-out rack staple back in the late '80s - hence 90% of all copies you find today (any of the three formats) will have a drill hole or saw-mark on the spine. This is one of those titles that is fairly rare on CD, but because it stiffed, there is little demand, and thus it can still be had fairly cheap. (It contained no top 40 hits, and therefore, isn't included in Pat's db.) So while I don't run across Playing for Keeps on CD every day, when I do, it's one that I almost always see in the $1-$2 cheapie bin or in thrift stores while out on my music travels. It was released in September of '86, and because that was still the early days of the digital format, all U.S. copies of the CD I've seen to date were pressed in Japan. In addition to being a remix, the title of the Phil Collins track was actually modified slightly to "We Said Hello, Goodbye (Don't Look Back)" on the soundtrack. Used copy currently on eBay, w/ photos: O.S.T. - "Playing for Keeps" (U.S. CD)

Quote:
Is the remix of "We Said Hello Goodbye" noticeably different?

On YouTube:
PHIL COLLINS - "We Said Hello, Goodbye" (45 & No Jacket Required CD version) (4:15)
PHIL COLLINS - "We Said Hello, Goodbye" (O.S.T. Playing for Keeps version) (3:42)

Edited by 80smusicfreak on 15 July 2015 at 7:50pm
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 July 2015 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Wow. I never realized there was a second mix of this track. The version on the No Jacket Required CD is the only one I ever heard on the radio, complete with the long intro.
Back to Top View Ringmaster_D's Profile Search for other posts by Ringmaster_D

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 July 2015 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

MTV was such a huge influence on perceived hits!
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 December 2015 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Here's another one I didn't see posted yet: "I Got You" by Split Enz.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2015 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

MCT1 wrote:
in the parallel 50s/60s/70s thread, TimNeely wrote:
You have two different categories of songs here: Those that never charted because they were never issued as commercial singles...and those that were issued as singles but didn't catch on with the Top 40 crowd...I'm going to list some that you might hear on the radio today, usually on "classic rock" stations. These lists are far from complete.

Looking at all the responses in both threads, I see four different categories:

1) Songs that were popular with Top 40 audiences, but weren't Top 40 hits because they weren't eligible to chart (generally because they weren't released as singles at the time). Examples: "Into The Groove", "Isn't She Lovely", numerous Beatles album cuts.

2) Songs that weren't popular with Top 40 audiences when new, but eventually became popular with audiences that listen to formats that play old Top 40 hits, to the point where a modern observer who isn't familiar with chart data might assume that these songs must have been Top 40 hits. Examples: "What I Like About You", "I Melt With You".

3) Songs that were/are popular with some type of non-Top 40 audience (AOR seems to be the main focus in the responses of this type so far) but never crossed over to Top 40 audiences. Examples: numerous Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd songs.

4) Songs that people feel should have been Top 40 hits. Everyone's are different.

I'm not sure what the original poster had in mind, but in this post I'd like to focus on #1 and #2. They are probably the easiest to define, and the most relevant for this board. By contrast, #3 and #4 both cover a lot of ground.

Under #1, the most obvious '80s example is undoubtedly "Into The Groove". Another that comes to mind is "Be Good Johnny" by Men At Work. Although it was eventually released as a single, Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was getting Top 40 airplay well before the single came out.

Once Billboard began maintaining an airplay chart (and allowing non-singles to chart in it), "Never Say Goodbye" by Bon Jovi and "Spotlight" by Madonna both made the Top 40 of the airplay chart despite the unavailability of commercial singles. (Tim's Goldmine price guides actually indicate that a 45 of "Never Say Goodbye" does exist, but it doesn't seem to have been available when the song was on the airplay chart, and it seems to be a very obscure release; I've never see one myself.)

Did "Back In Time" by Huey Lewis & The News or "Pink Cadillac" by Bruce Springsteen receive significant Top 40 airplay when new? I don't think the former was ever released as a single, while the latter was a B-side. I remember hearing these on the radio, but in the mid '80s I was switching back and forth a lot between CHR and AOR, and I don't really remember which stations I heard these on. If they don't fit here, they definitely fit under #2.

Under #2, "What I Like About You", "Dancing With Myself", "I Want Candy", "I Melt With You" and "Tempted" are all great examples.

I'd bet that many people would assume that Squeeze had at least one Top 40 hit before "Hourglass" (certainly "Tempted", maybe "Pulling Mussels From The Shell" or "Black Coffee In Bed"), and U2 at least one before "Pride" (certainly "New Year's Day", maybe "I Will Follow" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday", which wasn't even released as a single).

Among others noted upthread, I'm sure that "Rebel Yell", "Mexican Radio" and "Blister In The Sun" are all probably widely believed to have been Top 40 hits, and that many people would be surprised to learn that Yaz never had any Top 40 hits, and New Order just one during the '80s. If "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure hadn't managed to sneak into the Top 40 for one week, it would belong here as well. Several others already listed are at least arguable. I'd also add "Workin' For A Livin'" by Huey Lewis & The News and "I Don't Care Anymore" by Phil Collins to the "arguable" list.

What a lot of these songs have in common, of course, is the MTV factor alluded to upthread. Many of them are new wave/alternative songs that were ahead of the curve in terms of what Top 40 radio was playing at the time. When new, they were considered too "out there" for Top 40 radio, but in hindsight they seem to fit in with what we now think of as "'80s Top 40".

SInce you mention Yaz, their biggest "hit" was probaly 'Situation"(aka that "Move Out, don't mess around" song), and it's their best, early 80s).

headstar
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2020 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote headstar

There's a ton of these early Alt retroactive hits that didn't reach the American Top 40 when released. But became well known regardless.

Alphaville - Big In Japan
The Alarm - Rain In The Summertime
The Alarm - Sixty Eight Guns
Dramarama - Anything, Anything (I'll Give You)
XTC - Dear God
Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
Echo & The Bunnymen - Lips Like Sugar
The Cure - Close To Me
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?
The Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated
Q-Feel - Dancing In Heaven (Orbital Be Bop)
Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
B-Movie - Nowhere Girl
Berlin - Sex (I'm A...)
The Toyes - Smoke Two Joints

Just to name a few, in addition to the classic Alt songs already mentioned in this thread.

Edited by headstar on 13 September 2020 at 2:32pm
Back to Top View headstar's Profile Search for other posts by headstar

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version