Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: ’80s non-top 40 hits, yet classics today Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 February 2008 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote MCT1

AndrewChouffi wrote:
If I recall correctly "We Said Hello Goodbye" wasn't even on the LP in America (it might have been on the burgeoning CD format, though).

The back of the "Don't Lose My Number" picture sleeve states that "We Said Hello Goodbye" was available on the CD version only of No Jacket Required. As alluded to, though, CDs only held a small portion of the album market in 1985.

The practice of using a CD-only or CD/cassette-only bonus track as the B-side to a 45 was not uncommon in the '80s. Another example is "A Apolitical Blues", the B-side to Van Halen's "Black And Blue". Similar to "We Said Hello Goodbye", the back of the picture sleeve states that "A Apolitical Blues" is available on the CD version only of OU812.
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 February 2008 at 12:36am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

"We Said Hello Goodbye" is actually one of my favorite Phil Collins songs. And it did get a LOT of radio airplay on Washington DC stations, too. I was quite aware that it wasn't an A-side single, that it was a (technically) non-LP B-side in terms of "LP." Luckily, it didn't take me too long to figure out it was on the album if you bought it in CD format.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Gary
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2008 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote Gary

sriv94 wrote:
Can't believe we've overlooked Talking Heads' "Once In A Lifetime" (another MTV fave).

And Gary, it's "Wouldn't It Be Good" ("Wouldn't It Be Nice" was the Beach Boys' tune).

Thanks Sriv94, My memory isn't like it used to be!
Back to Top View Gary's Profile Search for other posts by Gary

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2008 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hello, i must be going...

but before i do i have to say NY radio was also playing "We Said Hello Goodbye" . . also a big fav, and i had the flip side on vinyl but was also very happy to see it as the cd bonus track.
And Phil was unstoppable at the time...seem to recall "Inside Out" - also from 'No Jacket Required' - would also fit this catagory nicely? Still hear that from time to time...

-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 February 2008 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

MM:

I'm glad you mentioned Phil Collins' "Inside Out" getting some airplay because I thought I may have heard it on the radio back when the No Jacket Required album was on fire, but could never remember for certain. And speaking of No Jacket Required (since this thread keeps digressing anyway), I always thought the album track "Who Said I Would" sounded like "Sussudio" but far superior and should've been released as a single.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 12 February 2008 at 9:35pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 February 2008 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

One note about the LP version of "We Said Hello Goodbye."
If I recall, the 45 didn't have the long instrumental intro like the LP. The 45 I think was just over 3:00.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 February 2008 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Yep... That's also how I also remember hearing "We Said Hello Goodbye" on the radio, John.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Fetta
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2008 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote Fetta

My 45 which was a stock copy, not a promo, DID have the long instrumental. I remember having to cue past it when I was listening to it.

-Fetta
Back to Top View Fetta's Profile Search for other posts by Fetta

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

"Need Your Loving Tonight" may not be a classic, but Queen's fourth single from their LP "The Game" should have been a bigger hit (stalled at #44 on BB late 1980). I heard it here on south Florida radio back then.

bdpop
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 November 2009 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote bdpop

While were on the subject of Queen "A Kind of Magic" should have been a top 40 hit as well.

I also thought "Too Late" by Journey, "Tom Sawyer" by Rush and "Say It Isn't So" by the Outfield should have made the top 40.

"Back In Time" by Huey Lewis and the News was released as a 12" promo single back in 1985. If I remember correctly, it was only the LP version on both sides.
Back to Top View bdpop's Profile Search for other posts by bdpop

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 November 2009 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

bdpop wrote:

I also thought "Too Late" by Journey, "Tom Sawyer" by Rush and "Say It Isn't So" by the Outfield should have made the top 40.

I'm not familiar with the Journey song, but keep in mind that in 1982 when "Tom Sawyer" was released CHR/Top 40 radio was still in "early 80s wet noodle" mode, and didn't play much rock. AOR airplay didn't count toward the Hot 100, and I'd guess that most sales were albums, not singles.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2011 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Anybody know if the FANTASTIC single "Why Me" bu Planet P Project chopped off the synth intro, faded early, or did something else to get from the 4:06 length album to the 3:30 - 3:35 7" single length?

Discogs.com doesn't even list a 7" / 45 RPM / single release for the United States for this song, but I sure heard my local "the music you see on MTV" hot hits station burning it. The only 7" singles mentioned were Spain & the Netherlands.

Timings seem to vary on the 12" / dance remix, too: 6:30, or 7:00. I found a video on YouTube of the remix that ran almost 7:00, but of course I have no idea if his turntable was running the proper speed or if there were two 12" mixes released globally... although I doubt it. I suspect these are just label errors.

(Chopping the synth intro off of the album version gives me a new "single" length of 3:41, BTW. That's not too far off of the 3:30, and 3:35 is of course even closer.)

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2011 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I have a promo 45 for this, listed as Geffen 29705, and it is labeled as a remix-edit. I don't believe the 45 version can be edited from the LP version.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2011 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

YIKES... did not know that! So now the quest for the promo mix begins.

Does it indeed run 3:35 3:40-ish?

And (and I know this is a l-o-n-g shot), have you EVER seen that version in digital form?

Thanks for this information!!!

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2011 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

NightAire wrote:
Anybody know if the FANTASTIC single "Why Me" bu Planet P Project chopped off the synth intro, faded early, or did something else to get from the 4:06 length album to the 3:30 - 3:35 7" single length?

Discogs.com doesn't even list a 7" / 45 RPM / single release for the United States for this song, but I sure heard my local "the music you see on MTV" hot hits station burning it. The only 7" singles mentioned were Spain & the Netherlands.

Timings seem to vary on the 12" / dance remix, too: 6:30, or 7:00. I found a video on YouTube of the remix that ran almost 7:00, but of course I have no idea if his turntable was running the proper speed or if there were two 12" mixes released globally... although I doubt it. I suspect these are just label errors.

(Chopping the synth intro off of the album version gives me a new "single" length of 3:41, BTW. That's not too far off of the 3:30, and 3:35 is of course even closer.)

The extended version runs 6:29 and is on several CDs. There is also a 5:20 instrumental version.
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2011 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My promo copy runs 3:15.

Edited by eriejwg on 08 September 2011 at 6:47pm

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2011 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

eriejwg wrote:
My promo copy runs 3:15.

I suspect steroids, then. ;)   My copy just makes it to (3:14).
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Yes, mine does too. Forgot the half-second silence I added at the beginning of the file I dubbed.

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2011 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Good GRIEF... so it's even shorter than I was led to believe by the label!

Does anybody have a digital source for this promo / remix? If it's truly unavailable for purchase, I may have to beg for somebody's needle-drop...

(P.S. - A co-worker had the same reaction to this song today that I had last night: OH MY GOD where has this song been?!?

This thread was originally about marginal 80s singles that are popular today; are 80s shows / stations outside of Tulsa playing this song a bunch while Tulsa pretends this song never existed?)

Owasso, Oklahoma USA

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 September 2011 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Anyone have a vinyl 45 of Kim Carnes - "You Make My Heart Beat Faster" Billboard #54? It runs just short of 4 minutes on the Cafe Racers CD and I'm wondering if the single is edited or remixed.

A forgotten Kim Carnes song.
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version